Default Fdny Radio Straps

I just read some old messages regarding FDNY Radio Straps causing problems with Radios.F.F.C.told us What the radio man said
    prior to buying the straps they bought the universal style (no metal on mike clip)and also with no swivel snaps,they wanted to put plastic clips on.Prior to this instance we had never heard of this issuie.Our own Radio Repair department had little belief that the straps were the issuie.Providing the best product and the best customer service is our number one goal.We have been selling our Products for 10 years to the Fire Service and hope to have another great 10.www.RadioTech.com
    Last edited by janiceSilva; 03-07-2003 at 08:01 PM.

Forum Member

Hehe Janice,I use your strap and it's a quality product that has absolutely no interference issues with my radio.The guys like mine so well they're all in the process of getting them.The thing I like about it is the modular design,so in the event that i do mess up and damage it,it's easily repairable without having to replace the whole strap.T.C.

Thanks TC,I hope you know we give a one year warrenty on our products.If any thing needs repair or replacment just give me a call on the toll free.We loved the show in Freeport last year !
    Thanks Again for your kind words and tell the guys we got all those Kenwood cases in stock that Maine loves so much!And as always same day shipping!
    Be Safe
    Janice

Janice,
    can you link your website...would like to check out your product

vollie4life,
    I will try to fix the link.Our site is www.RadioTech.com
    If you can not find something you are looking for or have a Question you can call me toll free at 866-894-6115.We have sample kits avalible for evauation.
    hope to hear from you. Janice

Forum Member

Maine may love 'em but my crew doesn't.Mostly Motorola and Upper end Vertex here.We got a few Kenwoods but not real happy with them.T.C.

Forum Member

I was involved in the original thread and told the user that I thought it was crap. The likelyhood that that little amount of metal contained in the clip on the strap could cause interference is crazy. I think the standard Motorola clip has as much metal in it. If I remember correctly, this was a case of a Department not wanting its members to use them, so they came up with an excuse.

Dave

Forum Member

You could make the entire strap out of metal and it probably wouldn't hurt or interfere with anything. The radio being next to your body cause 10x more signal degradation than a metal clip or belt hanger.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Nm is right ,.......lapel mics and having the radio next to your body blocks more signal geting out than any metal clips will ........worse if you are on simplex only system .....
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thank you for your imput,Your comments have taught me things I never thought of.I will save all your comments in case this issuie comes up again.
    Know that you are loved and supported
    Janice

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

I love the FDNY style Radio strap I bought from P&R products and I'm sure its from Radio Tech. They are very versatile in the way you can wear them or place them in reference to keeping the radio dry or accessible and out of the way of the airpack. As far as radio interference is concerned , I havent had a problem yet. I have learned that any intrinsicly safe radio that has been in any fire environment may not be "explosion proof" so the problem may be the excessive carbon build up in the radios from fires or something totally off the wall.

Dont really know just a thought.
    Brad Hoff, North Pole Alaska
    "Protecting the Defenders of Freedom"
    FT. Wainwright Fire & Emergency Svcs
    North Star VFD, www.northstarfire.org

DTRT, EGH, RFB, FTM-PTB, KTF

"Keepin it REAL in the LAST FRONTIER"

"Firefighter Extraordinaire"

"If a firefighter was buck naked and given three ball bearings, then placed in a round room with no windows and only one entrance, he or she would emerge with two missing and one broken".

Many Communication companies have resold our straps in the past so it is a good chance you carry an Original Radio Tech Strap. Starting this month we are now stamping our name on every one. Over the last year many people have tried to duplicate it. This is why I highly recommend getting a sample to evaluate to be sure you are purchasing the best quality. No Photograph can compare to holding something in your hands. Also could you please explain your interference theory in laymenís terms, I did not get it?
    Thank you,
    Janice

MembersZone Subscriber

I know this thread has been inactive for a while but I just wanted to throw my two cents in. I have used the Radio straps for about 6 years now and never had a problem with it interfiering with my VHF or UHF band radios, Ive used different antennas from stubby's to full lenght, still no issues. One thing I will say is out of the different brand straps Ive used Radio tech rocks! I started out with Boston leather because that was the one I always saw publicitey for, it was good and it did the job but the grain of leather they used was sorta ruff. Then one day I was surfing the web and came across a thread from a FF/EMT in Texas who mentioned he loved his Radio Tech, I figured I would try one out for my dept, I will tell you, I fell in love with it instantly, the craftsmanship shows how much thought and pride they put into their products. Anyways after I bought the radio tech from www.radiotech.com I dont think I will go with another company again, hell I gave my Boston leather straps away to co-workers.

Arrow the strap...

We use Kenwood TK-380's and have found there to be interference on the radio when walking and talking. I had the oppurtunity to meet/speak with someone at Kenwood and showed him the problem. We found that if you rubbed the meteal clips from the strap against the screw that holds the lapel mic on, you could hear interference being tx'd. I tried it with a Motorola HT-1250 with similar, yet not as bad results. I am using a Kenwood TK-3180 and do not have any problems.

I do not know if the radio's lapel mic screw is creating an RF field or what...

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a quick question for rfd599,

do the radio holders you guys are selling at the fire store work with the Motorola NXT 5000's? I don't know of many people who can keep their pants up with those heavy things.

Thanks for any reply.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

A few things I'd like to point out

First I fail to see how a radio case and strap of any typical design is causing interference. I think that is total crap. Second, the person selling these products in this thread can't even type a properly constructed sentence. She wants us to give her money for a product?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by janiceSilva View Post
    I just read some old messages regarding FDNY Radio Straps causing problems with Radios.F.F.C.told us What the radio man said
    prior to buying the straps they bought the universal style (no metal on mike clip)and also with no swivel snaps,they wanted to put plastic clips on.Prior to this instance we had never heard of this issuie.Our own Radio Repair department had little belief that the straps were the issuie.Providing the best product and the best customer service is our number one goal.We have been selling our Products for 10 years to the Fire Service and hope to have another great 10.www.RadioTech.com
    I hope you can build radio straps better than you can make your point by trying to combine sentences into a paragraph.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Their radio straps are fine... I use one.

PS: this thread is from 2003!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Second, the person selling these products in this thread can't even type a properly constructed sentence. She wants us to give her money for a product?
    Try using proper punctuation when tossing out you're high and mighty insults, they'd hold more weight.
    A few things I'd like to point out
    You forgot a period.
    First I fail to see how a radio case and strap of any typical design is causing interference. I think that is total crap.
    You forgot the common after the word "first".
    Imagine it, the public expects you to come to their rescue? You must not have passed third grade?

Lighten up, NMfire,you don't spend money where people fail to always spell properly or use perfect english? Hell, many are lucky to buy gas where the clerk speaks english.

BTW: The thread Janice posted was back in '03, there isn't anything more recent to pick apart?
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 12-02-2007 at 10:34 AM.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Lightbulb Huh???????...............

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post

It's "Comma".
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Hahahaha.

Nice comparison. Too bad gas is gas. The same tanker delivers it to all the stations in town and the clerk has no impact on the product or the marketing. The person in this thread is not only apparently the owner, but also marketing the product.

If the CEO of Shell wrote like that, no I wouldn't buy the product anymore. Nor would I buy radio equipment or anything else remotely associated with life-safety. Why should I have any confidence in a product or the company that produces it if I can't even read what the boss is typing.

And I didn't revive this old thread. But since someone else did, it is now fair game. Had I noticed years ago, I would have said the same thing then. Am I missing any commons?

Forum Member

Originally Posted by RFDACM02
    Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    It's "Comma".
    What's that phrase about people living in glass houses?

‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Common/comma: Proof that at least three of us in this thread are human!

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

If the CEO of Shell wrote like that, no I wouldn't buy the product anymore.
    Dude, you gotta live a little! Couple your high standards for the rest of the world and the kids "graduating" H.S. now and you'll be holed up in Montana on some ranch by 2010, growing your own food and making your own clothes. Plus I'm willing to bet Radiotech won't go under without your $29.95.

Forum Member

Top notch company,Top notch product.Modular and rugged.Buy whatever you want NM but if it isn't a Radiotech it's not gonna last as well.OUTSTANDING company support,and I've got the battle worn proof. We've used the product for many years and I've yet to find a better strap. T.C.

Thread Information