Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Saulsbury Engines and roll up doors

We received delivery of two new Saulsbury Engines. We got them as an engine with rescue capabilities. Anyway, we got them with roll up doors all the way around. They are real convenient for getting things, because they don't pop out and there is only one for the part of storage, versus a door on top and under it.
    Only problem we have had is these doors can be a pain to roll up and down. It is also starting to slightly wear the side of the door that rubs against the rubber going up and down. We have only had these trucks a month or two, and the only solution we have found is putting a type of solvent or lubricant in the sides to help the doors slide better. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience and can shed some light on anything we have missed. Thanks guys!
    ~DAN

Forum Member

Being that you live in New England, maybe the roadsalt or sand, whichever your town uses, is getting in there and junking up the works? I really don't have any experience with rollup doors as my dept. doesn't use them.

Oh, Dan, I have read several of your posts and know your a junior, and not to be critical, but it may not be smart, as a junior, to bring up problems like this about a new truck. If there are other members of your dept here in the forums, particularly if they helped design the truck, may take problems with their truck, or your talking about it personally.
    I'm the Midnight Skulker, HAHAHAHAHA

Forum Member

I was not trying to be critical of the trucks. I actually love the trucks, and in no way am I complaining about the doors. I like them a lot for many reasons, and I think they are an advantage over the other doors. You can walk without worrying about any doors sticking out, and you can look at the entire part of that truck with one door open, instead of two, one on top of eachother. I was simply saying they can be a little troublesome sometimes to get open or closed, and not to complain, but just to see if anyone had any advice on ways this could be cured. I definitely was not saying these trucks were bad in anyway, I love 'em!

Default Roll-ups

What manufacturer? We have 13 trucks with ROM doors. 9 are Saulsbury's. 2 of them are 7 years old and operate as good as new.

NEVER use any lube. All it will do is attract and collect more dust and grime.

All you have to do is wash the doors are rails real good. Rinse them as much as possible on days where more grime collects more often (rainy, ice/salt)

We have had VERY good luch with them.

To my knowledge ROM recommends silicone spray on the tracks... could be wrong. I'll try to double-check.

Anyway we use silicone spray and it works great. It makes a huge difference. The wear you see on the sides is common. Anyone that says they have rollups that don't have abrasion marks on them either:
    1. isn't being truthful
    D. or 2, doesn't have weatherproof compartments.
    or they haven't had the truck for more than a year.

Would I do rollups next time around? I'd rather have double rescue-style doors than rollups. They're high maintenance, can jam, and they aren't cheap. Plus you can't mount anything on them and they eat compartment space. Pros: can get heavy equipment in and out easier, less likely to tear-off a rollup door by pulling out of the station with it open, and finally they're better for highway use.
    To me, the cons outweigh the pros. Just my thoughts after working with ours for a while.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Default Second that on the silicone

I gotta agree that silicone spray will help.If not, maybe graphite dust you can buy at any autoparts store. Just make sure its not a clean/dirty issue. Roll-ups like being clean.

On the side, Resq14, about six months ago I was working an MVA on I-10 when a car nearly sideswiped our engine. Because of the roll-ups, I was able to grab the inside of the compartment and pull myself into the opening of it and get my feet inside on the bottom shelf. I literaly felt the wind of the car passing within 1-2 feet from me. I doubt that I would have been able to do that with pan style doors. Still, you make good pionts about cost,size, and increased maintinence. However, like most things that make our jobs easier and safer, there are drawbacks.

Stay Safe.
    Later.

Lightbulb Roll-up doors

have you had Saulsbury verify the correct size door for the actual door openings? The door width may be too wide for the actual compartment opening and causing the hard opening and closing.

Default Re: Second that on the silicone

Originally posted by helicopter722
    Because of the roll-ups, I was able to grab the inside of the compartment and pull myself into the opening of it and get my feet inside on the bottom shelf.
    Yikes! Close call. Yeah for out on the interstate and other highways, I do think they have an edge over traditional doors. And since it is a safety issue, depts that venture out on the highway a lot might want to consider this.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Thread Information