Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Workout Program

Question Workout Program

HI, im a jr and im not a very "big" person and i know that my diet has to be the worest one, so i have decided that im going to get bigger and healthier so when i take my physical exam for a paid dept that im in the best condition. im taking classes in school like weight training and wellness but i want to start and outside program. i used to go to the gym but then i didnt go for awhile so i stopped my membership, im going to start one again. i was just wondering what kind of programs you do to keep fit? and do you do anything at home that helps?
    -JEFF G

RES49CUE
    Raritan Twp,NJ

49-56
    "Have Jaws, Will Travel"

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb

bfd5229,

I have been a personal trainer for more years than I have been a firefighter, so I feel somewhat qualified to give this little bit of advice. So here it is...As firefighters we fight fire like we train. There is no more a truer statement. With that in mind, it makes working out for firefighting easy. Just think of the statement "I will train like I'm fighting fire". Ask yourself what am I going to be aksing of my body? Then just pick exercises that mimick those movements as best as possible. For example: a stair stepping machine will help you climb stairs (put a dumbell on your shoulder to mimick equipment you might be carrying in real life), pull on a rope with weights and a pulley to mimick pulling hoses, a seated row exercise on the pulley machine will build muscles that might help you pull a victim or fellow firefighter out of danger one day.

These are just a few simple suggestions to get you thinking. Of course most any exercise will help with the job. We ask an incredilble amount from our bodies, so make it part of your career to take care of that most important tool...your body.

Lastly, from someone who makes guys 15 years younger work to keep up, don't forget your cardiovascular system. In an industry where heart attacks make up a large percent of LODD, do yourself a favor and become an avid runner, cyclist or something else that works your heart and lungs.

Good luck
    Train hard, train often

thanks for the information, another questions for you. Would it be too much if i did 1 day lifting, 1 day cardio, 1 day lifting (and so on)
    -JEFF G

RES49CUE
    Raritan Twp,NJ

49-56
    "Have Jaws, Will Travel"

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes! One day cardio, one day weights is a great routine. Another, effective routine would be circuit training. Circuit training is where you lift weights for a set or two (hoping you have an elementary knowledge of working out) and do high intensity cardio in between sets. The idea is to get your heart rate up, keep it there, while you get your muscle building in too.

Now, to keep it simple, both routines work well. What you have to keep in mind is that mixing it up is one of the keys to being successful, so try both and research others. A lot depends on your time. Use whatever method allows you to get a daily workout, even if it is just a short one.

Find literature and read as much as you can, but beware of anything associated with ads that are trying to sell something. Including magazines.

muldoon
    E-20 / L-20 / R-20

thanks for all your help...
    -JEFF G

RES49CUE
    Raritan Twp,NJ

49-56
    "Have Jaws, Will Travel"

Circuit training is where you lift weights for a set or two (hoping you have an elementary knowledge of working out) and do high intensity cardio in between sets.
    Ah ha! So there's a name for this! I try to do this once a week or so, and it's a killer workout. As in, nearly kills me every time.

Thread Information