Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Are grants shifting to Homeland Security???

From a few articles I've read, it sounds like this years grants are going to focus more on WMD, rather than essential firefighting tools. My department is appling for a grant to update all our air packs. I have a feeling that we aren't going to recieve any money again this year, because all of the larger and big city departments w/ the ability of running HAZMAT and other specialized rescue units will recieve the majority of it.

Does anyone else feel this way? Personally I think it a bunch of crap!

MembersZone Subscriber pcfdcap1's Avatar
    finally getting ready to start the new station

I totally disagree. we received funding for SCBAs and we sure aren't a large dept. As far as WMD goes, what do you think the major funding areas are for? The basis of the WMD grants that were started a few years ago concentrated on PPE for first responders. reference to money being moved read this http://www.usfa.fema.gov/dhtml/media/03-0310a.cfm
    Every silver lining's got a touch of grey...I wiilll get by....

Proud to be IACOJ Flatlander Division

Administrator

Sounds like you might be confusing the two programs out there..one is $600 million by Dept of Justice for homeland security ... one is the $750 million Assistance to Firefighters. Grants are specific to certain categories so while higher marks may go to those that regionalize their approach, there is still substantial funds on the table for basic firefighting.

Thread Information