MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default "WHAT IF...?? TURNED INTO ".... IT DID..."

Weather conditions in the whole south region of BC turned pretty ugly this past weekend, starting with late Thursday and ending early Sunday. We attended two car fires (in the snow if you can believe it, and one rollover single car MVA - the rollover and second fire were calls within calls)

School bus topples, 16 shaken. 'All I remember was falling,' says student, after unnerving ordeal

Emily Bowers Times Colonist Monday, March 10, 2003

CREDIT: Bruce Stotesbury, Times Colonist

Pacific Christian School basketball player Adam Barker, 16, hugs his mother Carolyn at the school after the school bus crash Sunday.

Pacific Christian School basketball co-coach James Sijpheer kisses his wife Michelle and hugs son Matthew, 2, after he arrived back at the school Sunday afternoon, a few hours after a school bus crash on the Trans-Canada Highway in Langley.

The bus carrying Pacific Christian School basketball players and coaches lies on its side Sunday.

A little battered, a little bruised, but with nothing broken, Pacific Christian School's senior boys' basketball team was welcomed home after their school bus crashed on the Trans-Canada Highway in Langley Sunday morning.

The team of 13 players and three coaches -- one of whom was the bus driver -- was heading back to Vancouver Island after a provincial championship basketball tournament in Abbotsford. Travelling west on the highway near 264th Street, the bus went into a ditch and rolled over on its right side.

"All I remember was falling, and I closed my eyes (and) put my hands up," said 16-year-old Adam Barter, who was sitting on the left side of the bus, in the first seat.

His mother Carolyn nervously eyed a cut on the teenager's chin.

"Are you all right?" she asked, after an eager embrace when Adam arrived back at the Saanich school Sunday afternoon. The Grade 11 student nodded, though he said he's not sure how he got the cut.

When the crash happened around 9:45 a.m., the road conditions were "terrible," said RCMP Cpl. Jason Knudtson. "(It was) very poor, snowing winter conditions," he said, adding the road was slushy and snow-covered.

Knudtson said the bus passed a marked police car along the side of the road a few metres before it crashed. The officer in the car said the bus was driving too fast for the road conditions at the time and Knudtson said the driver was given a traffic ticket at the scene based on what the officer saw.

Team co-coach James Sijpheer was sitting on the right side of the bus in the front. He said the driver was forced to brake quickly when another car stopped in front of them. He credited the shaken driver for his attempts at controlling the school bus.

The team escaped from the tipped-over bus through an emergency hatch and waited until help arrived.

"They were on the side of the road, shivering cold," said Sijpheer, nursing a bruised and swollen right arm he received after bearing the brunt of teenagers tossed onto him during the rollover.

A B.C. Ambulance bus was brought to the scene to hold the teenagers until another school bus was rounded up to transport them to the ferry terminal. They walked onto the ferry.

At Swartz Bay, secondary school principal David O'Dell met them with another bus and ferried them back to the school in Saanich, where a crowd of family and friends met the weary team.

O'Dell said parents are being asked to make sure their children are checked by doctors.

While paramedics examined each student at the scene of the crash, O'Dell said they have to be sure everyone is OK.

The school's two counsellors will be made available to the students and they were told to take today off from class if needed.

Sijpheer, who teaches special education students at the elementary and secondary schools, said the teammates consider themselves lucky to have escaped with few minor injuries -- and with the seventh place trophy they were awarded at the tournament.

Copyright 2003 Times Colonist (Victoria)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 03-10-2003 at 12:48 PM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Seems I've mentioned in back posts that it is not a question of IF but when.As the level of ignorant,impatient people increases on the Nations highways so will these incidents.T.C.

Thread Information