Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Smile newguy. needs help!

I am new to the whole thing. I m very interested in becoming a firefighter and want to dedicate my time and life, but I am unsure what the step by step tasks im going to need to do. If someone would help out. It would be very appreciated. THANK YOU!

MembersZone Subscriber

First of all, are you looking to make it a career or volunteering? Either way you need to contact your local department, or the place you would like to work (for paid position). If you are looking for a career position you may have to have some prerequisits(sp?). Good luck in what ever you choose to do.

Forum Member

The way I did it, and from what I have heard from others it is a better way, is to go to your local volunteer fire department and sign up. Even if you live in a larger city, they usually have a volunteer dept. somewhere on the outskirts of town. I have never heard of a volunteer department turning someone away. Vollie departments are a good way to get a lot of the training that full time departments require, and a great way to get experience running with people that have been on the department for a while. My suggestion is to find a couple of the older guys, ask them to work with you individually. I did that, and learned how to operate the trucks, equipment, and just basic other fire fighting stuff.

Hope some of this helps. Best of luck to you.
    If you arent having fun, quit.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Corky,

First thing you need to do is move to West Seneca, NY if you want to volunteer. We could use interested and dedicated people!

Thread Information