Default Facial Hair info needed...

Hey guys I need some info on facial hair for Miosha. I seem to have a disagreement with my mustache size. I would like to know what the actual Miosha standard is. As of right now i have a mustache that is 1/2 above my jaw line and to my department they say that is not within Miosha standards. Although they were not able to bring me the document I was wondering if any of you guys could find me that info, I have searched but cant find what i am looking for.

I know it seems nit picky whether it should be cut at the lip or at the jaw line but it does make a difference in many peoples perspective outlook. Thanks in advanced..

Rabble rouser

Isn't Moesha a show on UPN?

Uhhh! Sorry...

Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

Not sure what Miosha is or says, but everything I can remember seeing says that facial hair cannot interfere with the seal of the SCBA or any other mask you may wear. My mustache sounds about like yours, and it does not interfere with the seal, because it doesn't extended to the jaw line where my seal is. Now if I had to wear a half mask for something, which I don't, it would interfere and i would have to trim it shorter

I've been wondering about this issue as well. I have a go-tee (I think this is the first time I've ever had to spell it), nothing too long or messy, but I'm under the impression it will have to go if I get on with a department. Are there ever any exceptions? Are there SCBA masks available for use in these situations? Don't get me wrong, the job is much more important than the facial hair, I'm just wondering...

www.osha.gov

OSHA 1910.134 states that...
    Facepiece seal protection.
    1910.134(g)(1)(i)
    The employer shall not permit respirators with tight-fitting facepieces to be worn by employees who have:
    1910.134(g)(1)(i)(A)
    Facial hair that comes between the sealing surface of the facepiece and the face or that interferes with valve function; or
    1910.134(g)(1)(i)(B)
    Any condition that interferes with the face-to-facepiece seal or valve function.
    Proud member IACOJ

Well I got the anwser i was looking for In Michigan most Departments standards are by MIOSHA. The document i was looking for is here http://www.michigan.gov/documents/CI...51_37780_7.htm
    The Info that was needed is this part. In section (g) Use of respirators.
    (g)( 1)( i)( A) Facial hair that comes between the sealing surface of the facepiece and the face or that interferes with valve function; or (g)( 1)( i)( B) Any condition that interferes with the face-to-facepiece seal or valve function.
    Thanks who all have replied. Now i just have to plead my case to the Officers in charge They said if i could come up with the documents that i could keep my facial hair. Hope this helps out the other guys who enjoy some facial hair.

I know that facial hair as in beards and such is unacceptable but an extended mustache above the chin is all i ask for.

MembersZone Subscriber

You have to dig deeper into the OSHA standard, There are many supporting documents and/or addendums which interpret meaning.

Thread Information