Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Angry It makes you wonder...

Antiwar protesters trash 9/11 memorial
    American flags burned and slashed

By Debbie Pfeiffer Trunnell, Staff Writer

LA HABRA -- Antiwar protesters burned and ripped up flags, flowers and patriotic signs at a Sept. 11 memorial that residents erected on a fence along Whittier Boulevard days after the terrorist attacks in 2001 and have maintained ever since.

However, although officers witnessed the vandalism Saturday afternoon, police did not arrest three people seen damaging the display because they were "exercising the same freedom of speech that the people who put up the flags were,' La Habra Police Capt. John Rees said Monday.

"For this to be vandalism, there had to be an ill-will intent,' he said.

Rees said in order for police to take any action, the owner of the fence would have to file a complaint.

Jeff Collison, owner of The RV Center in La Habra, who has allowed residents to add patriotic symbols to the fence on his property, said he just might do that.

"Their free speech stops at destruction of private property. If they are allowed to come on my property and burn flags, does that mean I can go to City Hall or the police station and light their flags on fire because that is freedom of speech? To me, this is vandalism,' Collison said.

Some residents Monday hung signs criticizing those who destroyed the display.

Tracey Chandler, a Whittier mother of four who has maintained the spontaneous memorial since it was created by other area residents soon after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, said she was shocked by the destruction.

"They trashed 87 flags, ripped 11 memorial tiles made by myself and my children out of the ground and glued the Bob Dylan song to a sign that said, 'America, land of the brave, home of the free,' ' she said.

The Bob Dylan song she referred to is "With God on Our Side,' an antiwar anthem of the 1960s.

"It's unbelievable, because there were absolutely no political messages on this fence. It was all about supporting our troops, which could mean bringing them home, and about remembering 9-11.'

Les Howard, a sociology professor at Whittier College, said the incident might be an indication of some confusion among people trying to stop a possible war against Iraq but uncertain how to express their sentiments. However, he said he does not condone the destruction of symbols important to those who erect them.

"Some think (the best way to support the troops) is to not question their role. Some think the best way is to pursue all means possible to avoid putting them in danger,' he said. "That still does not excuse any desecration of people's symbolic participation.'

Chandler said she plans to rebuild the Sept. 11 memorial.

"We are going to rebuild this memorial, and it will be brighter, bigger and better than ever,' Chandler said.

Debbie Pfeiffer Trunnell can be reached at (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3028, or by e- mail at debbie.pfeiffer@sgvn.com .

It makes you wonder if risking our life for these low life bastards is worth it.
    Last edited by SPFDRum; 03-11-2003 at 11:52 PM.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Im not pyschotic but -
    These are the kind of people I would like to slowly seperate their heads from their shoulders, scoop their eyeballs out with a spoon, gentley apply some hydrochloric acid in their orbitals, and finally dipense the rest of their cranium in my garbage disposal.

Just Freedom of speech, right?

MembersZone Subscriber

My own opinion, you get caught burning or ripping a US flag, your punishment should be to serve in the armed forces for a least 1 tour of duty OUT-OF-COUNTRY, then maybe they'll learn to respect it!

Angry

I heard about the incident in La Habra earlier today. It is outrageous that these scumbags are allowed to do something like that. These idiots harp about their First Ammendment rights, but what they apparently don't realize is that the soldiers that they snear at are the ones who have made and keep them free. If it were up to this "anti-war protestors" crowd, Hitler's successor would rule the entire world.

Guess who these low life mother(expletive in the plural deleted) are going to call when they set their clothes of fire while burning the flag?

Can you say "it's a deck gun job?"
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Angry

Freedom of speech? Sounds more like Criminal Damage to Property....and a slap in the face to those who made the supreme sacrifice.
    Guinness....a meal in a can!
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

Hopefully, a parallel universe where my location doesn't keep getting deleated.

Default Re: It makes you wonder...

Originally posted by SPFDRum

It makes you wonder if risking my life for these low life bastards is worth it.
    Are they worth it?

No...but we do it anyway don't we?

That's what makes us so different from them.
    TUTUM TE ROBORE REDDAM
    In Valor, There Is Hope.

Thread Information