MembersZone Subscriber

Default Traditional Style Helmet vs "TurtleShell"

A Division Chief for my fulltime FD is currently looking into new helmets. We have the "TurtleShell" helmets but most, if not all of the FFs want the traditional style.(Something like a Ben 2 or the likes) The argument is that the traditionals are too heavy and too expensive. I have heard that they are close in cost, close in weight and that the traditional style are actually a stronger helmet that may last longer.

I am looking for anyone that may have researched this already and may have some info to share.

Thanks ahead of time.

FF Tryggestad
    LCFD

Forum Member

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH....not again!

Hey Bro......this is debated weekly here, so if you search, you'l find a ton of opinions about it. We use leathers and 1010's with a few...less than 2.....tactical tupperware helemts.

A lot of it has to do with personal preference. Leathers weigh more. 1010's lees, but the cannonball hats weigh the least.

Good luck...and stand by for incoming!
    Last edited by hfd66truck; 03-11-2003 at 08:06 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have worn both style of helmets and if given the choice, traditional is the way to go. I have even gone as far as paying for my traditional! I would also have to say that warranty service seems to be more responsive (cairns 1010). Like everything else, the helmet debate will continue until the end of time!

Protective Economist

Default Re: Traditional Style Helmet vs "TurtleShell"

Originally posted by LCFD77
    A Division Chief for my fulltime FD is currently looking into new helmets. We have the "TurtleShell" helmets but most, if not all of the FFs want the traditional style.(Something like a Ben 2 or the likes) The argument is that the traditionals are too heavy and too expensive. I have heard that they are close in cost, close in weight and that the traditional style are actually a stronger helmet that may last longer.
    The only reason to wear traditional (and I do) is for appearances. Traditional helmets are about $80-100 more expensive than contemporary, and usually weigh about 10-16 ounces more (composite, not leather--leather adds $200-300 to the cost and 16-30 ounces).

There is no measurable strength difference if they all meet NFPA. Even the brim sizes (to protect against water running down the neck) are almost identical. Most manufacturers even use identical suspension systems in contemporary and traditional so the comfort level is the same. Sorry for the bad news. My FD went to traditional as a morale and tradition issue...that's the only way to argue it honestly.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Helmets

Here we go again.........
    Like has been said mainly the difference is price and preference.
    Now the makes a also a concern. My dept only buys Cairns we have
    1010's and a few N6A running around. My neighboring department is in
    the process of switching from "tactical tupperware" to tradional.
    They chose Ben's, I personally don't like them due to seeing the fibers in the helmet. But Cairns are more expensive, but I believe they are worth it. They take a hell of a beating and still look good.
    and the warrenty is great! But thats my opinion!
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Traditional traditional traditional traditional traditional Traditional traditional traditional traditional traditional Traditional traditional traditional traditional traditionalTraditional traditional traditional traditional traditionalTraditional traditional traditional traditional traditionalTraditional traditional traditional traditional traditionalTraditional traditional traditional traditional traditionalTraditional traditional traditional traditional traditionalTraditional traditional traditional traditional traditionalTraditional traditional traditional traditional traditionalTraditional traditional traditional traditional traditionalTraditional traditional traditional traditional traditionalTraditional traditional traditional traditional traditionalTraditional traditional traditional traditional traditionalTraditional traditional traditional traditional traditionalTraditional traditional traditional traditional traditionalTraditional traditional traditional traditional traditionalTraditional traditional traditional traditional traditionalTraditional traditional traditional traditional traditional

Nothing more patriotic or American than a traditional! By the way, when you look at the price, They aren't that much more than a top of the line composite, unless you go all out for a leather lid.
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Forum Member

personal preferances takeover most of the time

dont just go with tradition though

Thread Information