Permanently Removed

Lightbulb Firefighters being drafted?

If we were ever to go into another draft, do you think firefighters should be drafted. Personally, I think that firefighters, police officers, and Medical technitions should not be drafted. They all protect the people of the USA Just like the Soldiers, only we do it in a more personal way. Every day US citezens risk death, and seek our help, its not every single day that we risk death from war! think about it.

i agree...we cant afford to send our emergencey personel.there are many other people out there that they can send.If we send firefighters and paramedics and what not, its like where going at war against ourself.
    -JEFF G

RES49CUE
    Raritan Twp,NJ

49-56
    "Have Jaws, Will Travel"

Forum Member

NEWSFLASH!!!!

Thousands of firefighters, police officers and EMT's have already been activated for miltary duty in a call up of the Guards and Reserves. Two members of my FD have been called up; the sons of two others are with the Marines in Kuwait.

There is no miltary draft and hasn't been one since the end of the Vietnam era.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I don't really know how to attack this topic, but here it goes...

I would consider it a great honor to be drafted to defend the greatest country God gave man. I would give all I had to see that this nation is protected from the likes of Bin Ladin. Yes, firefighters are needed here in the U.S., but I think that most of the crusty old jakes would come out of retirement, if they where able, so that a younger firefighter could carry the gun of justice. I am twenty, studing for a business degree, and have seriously thought about quiting so that I could join. If a re-enactment of the draft ever hits the floor of Congress, I will be the first one to enlist voluntarily.

Forum Member

Personally I would like to see what ChiefReason has to say about this. But in my opioion (spelled wrong I know) I am going to side with Captain Gonzo because my department already has 2 memebers called to active duty. In the USA there are thousands of Emergency Personnel and It wouldn't matter if maybe 2 or even more would be drafted.
    Its just my perspective of the matter.
    Rob
    FireFighter/EMT/VRT
    Engine Co 3
    Westmoreland City

These opinions are mine and mine only nobody eles.

MembersZone Subscriber

IN MY OPINION:

If you are called, you go. FF are not in that much of a short supply that you will be missed. You will also be working for the greater good.

If you are called and you don't go, you are a gutless slimeball who has no business ever putting on turnout gear again.

Permanently Removed

Those people gonzo that have already been called up, are people who ar ein the reserves, who want to go fight. I'm talking about normal everyday firefighters. I personally would not want to go fight in a war, its not that i'm against my country, i just dont like war that much.

New York/New Mexico a 5,000 mile commuter

""""BEFORE"""" emotions get out of hand on this thread, as per usual....let's consider a few points!

Presently, as Gonzo said, the Selective Service policy of "drafting"
    ended with the Viet Nam War. Since then the US has maintained a Volunteer Armed Forces.

"IF" you are a reservists....."You Are" a part of this Volunteer Force, therefore if you've been collecting the booty, should they call, you better go.......or face the consequences!

"Lastly" should the Draft be re-instituted, it is a known fact that most men, and this time women possibly, are eligible at 18 yrs of age. Past Drafts aside from the Civil War, drafted men not upwards of 23 yrs in age, or married men, or those with disabilities. My point is; if your an EMT-Firefighter-Police Officer, "generally speaking" your going to be above the draft age.

If your a EMT-Firefighter-Police Officer and a Reservists, it's your responsibility to go. Let's hope there's no crying this time like the Female Doctor in the Gulf War!
    "All gave some......Some gave all!"
    Lest we forget.........9/11/01
    "Former Senior Member"
    RESCUEDAWG----FDNYRR

MembersZone Subscriber

For more than 50 years, Selective Service and the registration requirement for America's young men have served as a backup system to provide manpower to the U.S. Armed Forces.

President Franklin Roosevelt signed the Selective Training and Service Act of 1940 which created the country's first peacetime draft and formally established the Selective Service System as an independent Federal agency.

From 1948 until 1973, during both peacetime and periods of conflict, men were drafted to fill vacancies in the armed forces which could not be filled through voluntary means.

In 1973, the draft ended and the U.S. converted to an All-Volunteer military.

The registration requirement was suspended in April 1975. It was resumed again in 1980 by President Carter in response to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Registration continues today as a hedge against underestimating the number of servicemen needed in a future crisis.

The obligation of a man to register is imposed by the Military Selective Service Act. The Act establishes and governs the operations of the Selective Service System.

(Source: Selective Service System - June 25, 2001 revision)

For there to be another draft we would have to be at war with either several countries at once or a super power or two. If it is a big enough emergency to need a draft again, you had better go and serve, reguardless of your occupation. Your Country will need you, or else she wouldn't have asked you.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

MembersZone Subscriber

If the draft were brought back I am sure they would be happy to have a bunch of folks already trained in emergency medical care. It might even move you up on the list.

That said, I have yet to hear one military leader in this country speak out in favor of the draft.

I think our leaders like the idea of having people who want to be in the armed forces out on the front lines. I am reminded of the book "Band of Brothers". Many of the guys who joined the original paratroopers did so because they wanted to fight, and they felt they had a better chance of surviving if surrounded by others who cared enough to work hard and do their best, as opposed to those who were there because they had to be.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Truckie

If you are in the Reserves or Guard and are called up, it is your duty to go. We have already had, if memory serves, 22 people called up.
    But now if, by some remote chance, there is a draft, what makes a Firefighter any more valuable than the Doctor or Nurse than can also be drafted?
    Besides, the same desire to serve as a Firefighter is the same attitude that keeps them from shirking away from there duties.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

I am a USAF Security Police reservist. I was called right after 9/11 and I went..thats all there was to it. Overseas I worked with a FDNY FF and many NYPD officers that had also been activated and had REQUESTED overseas tours. These guys were among the best I ever served with and the stories they had to tell from 9/11 would break your heart. I seriously hope if there is a draft (and I doubt there will be) that the American people would step up and do their part just like these guys did.

MembersZone Subscriber

SPFD, can't you read? He "doesn't like war that much". Jeepers, can't he exercise his "not liking war" exclusion?

Forum Member

the way i see it, if they reinstate the draft might as well go. because if its a conflict that big that they need that many people, then theres a chance we might not win war, meaning we might not have a country left to protect and help as fire fighters. just my 2 cents

-mike D

Exclamation HAVE NO FEAR DAN IS HERE

Before this goes on any future. I was talking to my Lieut Mike about this. Voluntter / paid Firefighters, EMS personnal, Police Officers, busness owners, and other people that can not run a busness without can not be drafted. Plus the draft is not in effect, but in the rule book there is a excape clase, just in case. So as of right now all people that are importain that keep the towns running are ok, unless the Volunteer.
    Stay Safe
    PS no need for Duck tape and plastic sheets :-)
    Danny B
    (My old name was FirefighterDan)
    Wayne Twsp. Volunteer Fire Dept
    "Pompton Falls Co #3"
    "Lets Never Forget Our Fallen Heroes"
    9-11-01
    -PCFA Class of 2001
    Firefighter 1

Truckie

Yes you're right George, I forgot about the ole barbra striesand/sean penn "not liking war" clause. Silly me...
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

I am planning on joining the air force as a firefighter/emt even though I am going on to my second year of my fire science degree. I feel that there are a lot of people out in the world who would be great for the draft because they are doing nothing but can run and shoot a gun and follow orders. I am planing on finishing my associates degree in the air force and getting a career started in fire fighting. I am already a volunteer and want to get paid for the job we all love to do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb

In my opinion our job is to protect innocence. If drafted I personally wouldn't think twice. We must remember these people are in a ways responsible for the murder of over 400 of our brother and sister emergency workers. Not to mention those killed that were just going about their day. If someone slapped you in the face you can't tell me this wouldn't anger you. My department has had four members get activated that were in the reserves, we have also had some enlist since the start of talks of war. We enjoy many freedoms today because of those who have gone before us. Personally for the other countries, I would be scared of these firemen/soldiers, these guys walk through hell and back for fun.
    Ceredo Fire-Rescue
    NREMT-Basic,Firefighter,Hazmat- Tech,Smoke Diver

"Live Long, Die Fast, have as much fun possible in between."

These are my opinions, not my departments.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wayneman

Volunteers were drafted in the Vietnam and Korean eras. When I was starting in the Fire Service in the 70's as a Volunteer I knew many of them. I asked around about this in my current department to coworkers who were around in the draft era and they all said they were exempt from the draft here in D.C. I'm not sure about WWII. Two guys I worked with even quit the job to go to Nam and got there jobs back when they came home. I was wondering if exemption was only here or were career members drafted from around the country during those years? Gonzo or FDNYRR, can you comment?

Thread Information