MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Looking for pictures of a quad

I teach a fire apparatus familiarization class to cadets. I am looking for some pictures of a quad apparatus. If possible, these pictures should be of all sides of the truck.

MembersZone Subscriber

"What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Forum Member

Our first due...
    Last edited by Bones42; 03-15-2011 at 10:38 AM.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Truckie

Here is what I found, hope it helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry Bones but what you have there is not a Quad, it is a quint, as it has the addition of an aerial device.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

MembersZone Subscriber

The picture is too big but here is a link

http://www.seagrave.com/Products/Gal...cture78948.jpg

Are you guys planning a new rig or just collecting pictures for a class or something?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Quad?

I'm always learning.....

What exactly is a quad?
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb QUAD

Just goes to show you how there is so much turnover in the ranks of the fire service. The concept is an old one, but not many recent apparatus being built as pure quads. The first picture of the Elmira rig is a perfect example of a quad. To back up, one must know what a triple is...
    A triple combination pumper- water tank; hose; and pump. By adding a full complement of ground ladders, you now have a QUAD !! I have a picture of the back end of that Elmira quad but will have to find it somewhere. Once you see the back end, you will see how easily identifiable it is.

MembersZone Subscriber

As long as we are on the topic of older style rigs, does anyone still run a service ladder truck?

No main, just ground ladders.

Forum Member

ADSNWFLD

are you talking about have a truck with ladders but none are hydraluic exuiped there all raised and lowered by hand. we have one its still in service but it hasent been to a run for about 15 years. but its there just incase. heck we had a few years back i think 1998 a mansion catch on fire with about 3 or 4 alarms. we had just about 8 or 9 different departments at the scene. they were there about a whole day fighting the fir and putting it back out after it rekendled a couple times. anyone know more about this maybe if your from my area you might. well sorry i got off the subject but even at that fire that truck didnt leave. i think the biggest ladder it has is a 50 footer. here lets see if i got a picture here

we refer to it as the redneck ladder truck

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/backdraft...c=ph%26.view=t
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

dang it the link is to long to work anyone know how to fix it
    Last edited by backdraft663; 03-16-2003 at 09:46 PM.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber

Default E-mail it to me

I found some information here that may help. http://www.firehouse.com/magazine/am...apparatus.html

Also, E-mail me the link - webmaster@signal99.com

I will put it on my server for you with a much smaller URL.
    Last edited by SIGNAL99COM; 03-16-2003 at 10:01 PM.
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

Engine Co 733.
    Rob aka Squinty

The Fighting Seventy-Third

Westville Fire Department
    Gloucester County
    New Jersey

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Confused

And that's a Quad?
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

Default Service Truck

ADSNWFLD,

San Antonio Fire still runs 2 service trucks with enhanced rescue capability. The service trucks run out of stations 36 and 41. Visit www.sanantonioFIRE.org for pics.

Forum Member

Engine5FF - I thought a Quint had the full complement of ground ladders (105' ??) and an aerial device but a Quad did not have the ground ladders (105+) but did have the aerial device. We only carry 2 ground ladders on that truck, a 24' and a 12'.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

No... a Quad has no hydraulic aerial device. But I see your point in it not being a quint either (not enough ground ladders). So maybe it should be a called a quad, just not in the traditional sense of the term. "Traditionally" a quad was born when a department merged the capabilities if a pumper with the equipment of the service ladder truck, usually because they couldn't afford or man two separate pieces of apparatus. These service ladder trucks had no aerial device usually because the town didn't have big enough buildings to require them. This practice goes right up there with putting hose on your pumper instead of using a separate hose wagon to consolidate your resources. We had a discussion about "what to call your apparatus" over in the Firepics group recently and several good points were covered. My first department had a pumper like yours with a Tele-squirt device and we just called it a Squirt and didn't even think about calling it a quad. So, I guess, to each his own.

www.elmirafire.org

Forum Member

Don't ask me why...

It's official "name" is Engine 4205. It's usually called The Squirt. No one has ever referred to it as a Quad, but I thought it fit in. It's our first due piece and usually run as an engine, once in a while as a truck.

Thread Information