Question Hale pump priming info ?

Hello All,

My department has a reserve truck that sees very little action, a 1979 International with a Hale QSF50-2 pump. This truck has finally gotten a small maintenance budget for the first time in years, and the pump is getting an overhaul. Can anyone explain if there are any differences in priming an older pump model than a more current version, or point me toward a weblink ? Haven't been able to find any myself, and I'm guessing a Hale rep will not be in any rush to provide this info. If it helps, this is a 500gpm single stage pump with power gearshift and an electric priming pump.

Thanks for any help.
    -- 'I learn something new every day, unfortunately most of it comes from reading beer coasters...'

Forum Member

Can anyone explain if there are any differences in priming an older pump model than a more current version,
    One difference is that older pumps used 30 weight oil to prime the pump. Newer Hale pumps use tank water.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Is your question on how to operate the primer? Or is your question on what makes the primer operate?

The priming function is the same on all primers. Close all discharges, close the tank to pump valve, start priming until you have necessary vacuum and then draft water.

The priming motor in that age range can usually be replaced by a starter motor. If the primer motor is burnt or frozen, pull it out and go to any large auto parts store.
    Remember, it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you!

Forum Member

AnIndFF,Don't discount Hale so quickly.I would go to their website and post your query to the contact Hale site.I communicate with them on an infrequent basis but have ALWAYS recieved a quick and comprehensive reply to any technical support I have required.Usually followed up by a phone call from a rep to make sure the issue was resolved.Hale is very good at supporting their products even the "obsolete"stuff.T.C.

Thanks for your replies. I have since been straightened out by the chief.
    My original concern was how quick the pump would cavitate without H2O, and it seemed too simple to just open the primer valve on what I consider 'old time' technology. I confess my guilt of 'young pup' syndrome.

Rescue101 - I meant no ill will towards Hale, I've merely found that the jakes on firehouse will provide an answer to a question faster than a company rep is likely to reply.
    -- 'I learn something new every day, unfortunately most of it comes from reading beer coasters...'

Thread Information