Thread: Running

Ativan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Running

Who else thinks that running on calls is unprofessional.
    There are sometimes whenit is warrented but not all the
    time. Does anyone agree?

MembersZone Subscriber

Never run on the fire ground, it is unprofessional but above all it is not safe. Running is never warranted.

I guarantee if you tripped it would be the clip that is on the news.
    Stay Safe! Truckman38 Firefighter/EMT
    Proud member IACOJ
    *Never go anywhere without SCBA, a tool and a plan!
    *Never forget our fallen!

Forum Member

Running does several things:
    1. Reduces your time to size things up.
    2. Increases your heart rate, reducing your fine motor skills.
    3. Can increase panic in others
    4. Increases your tripping hazard
    5. Increases your tunnel vision, so you tend to "lock on" to what you first see.
    6. Means you have to go back to get what you forgot because you got in a hurry.

I don't see any of these as good things.

HNFC FF/President

The only time to run is if there is an explosion about to occur or if the fire building is about to collapse. I dont see a reason to run for anything besides the two reasons listed above.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

MembersZone Subscriber

What is the story behind the question?

Something prompted this post, do tell.

Forum Member

If I go in and there is a box with wires hanging out of it and it is ticking, I will be running.

Unless not having a certain tool or water in the next 10 seconds will cause death or serious injury, it probably won't gain you anything for the short distance you actually cover.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

ADSNWFLD,

Young Ativan here is an jr. explorer who felt it necessary to pipe in and tell a bunch of vets having a serious discussion on a meaningful safety issue that they all were a bunch of unprofessional idiots because they occasionally jog to the rig when the call sounds serious. It had nothing to do with running on scene or with sharp tools in hand, which we all know you NEVER do! See the "Brass Pole" topic for more info.

As for you, young Ativan: Kiddo, you'd better be keeping that sassy-assed attitude here on the board. You go spouting off crap like that at the firehouse, and you'll be sitting in your rocking chair someday telling your grandkids stories about all the fun stuff you did "way back in the olden days when I was a jr. explorer." I'll tell you right now that jr. explorer will be the pinnacle of your fire service career if your mouth ever goes off like that in the station!

Fire service survival tips:
    1) Cook at 350...
    2) Pump at 150...
    3) When in doubt, isolate and deny entry...
    4) When in trouble, claim lack of adult supervision.

Ativan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by ADSNWFLD
    What is the story behind the question?

Something prompted this post, do tell.

The reason I asked is that running is over glorified
    wanted too see who is in agreement. I am third generation
    firefighter and second paramedic and no one has ever ran with the excertion of reasons above and a burn. That is the only time i have
    ever seen someone run. And firebrun, I DO NOT feel jogging is unprofessional, just running too rigs, and running on a scene.
    I appologize if I made you mad. And if you think my attitude is bad come to one of my meetings, and tell the rest of them that. Plus I did'nt specify in my oringional post. Also I feel it is close to imposible to run in turnout gear.

MembersZone Subscriber

Isn't there an Explorer Board? Go there and ego trip with other little Kids who wish they could go to fires. You can talk about lights and sirens on your Go-peds and which Piece you like riding better, The 3rd out Tanker or the Canteen bus? And how can you be a paramedic if you are only an Explorer? You are niether a Firefighter or a Paramedic until you take the courses and become part of a regular crew. Explorers don't count boy!

This is the reason my department doesn't have an explorer/junior program. Too much Mouth-running and not enough Productivity.

BTW, I am a 10-plus year Firefighter who RUNS to one of the THREE Brass poles in my station and then RUNS to the Engine when a Box Comes in. The Faster you get out, the Faster you get there. Stop being Soft. With an Attitude like yours, we will have to do a Pre-incident check-off before we even leave the house on an Alarm.

"Bottle Full?" CHECK!
    "Seatbelt on?" CHECK!
    "Fuel Level Full?" CHECK!
    "Pantyhose without Runs?" CHECK!
    "Tactical Tupperware strapped on?" CHECK!

Get a life Explorer Boy, go back to your Boards.....

Forum Member

Ouch... that hurt!

There seems to be a lot of the Juniors and Explorers coming here and misrepresenting themselves as firefighters lately.

Come here and ask intelligent questions... but don't insult our intelligence!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Boy, that's the truth...seemed to happen suddenly here in the last month or two. A word to all Explorers who plan on EVER being ANYTHING in this field...LEARN TO FRICKIN' READ AND WRITE. With all the taxpayer dollars being thrown into that black hole we call "education", you'd think kids would at least graduate on a fifth grade reading level. As far as running in the station: make sure your Explorers clean up all the oil spills.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Ativan
    The reason I asked is that running is over gorified
    wanted too see who is in agreement. I am third generation
    firefighter and second paramedic
    Over gorified? When people in your dept run, do they often trip and fall into wood chippers or something. What is so gory about it?

Leave the ego somewhere else. You are not a firefighter YET. I seriously dought you are a paramedic either.

Ativan
    Firehouse.com Guest

The only reason I posted here is that you all are firefighters and do this for real. I figured if I posted in the explorer forum that I would get everyone saying that they run. Running is dangerous sould be avoided. Also I meant to say a second generation E.M.S.
    worker.

Early Adopter

As far as my department goes, we don't run. Most of us make quick work getting to the rig when the tones drop... but we don't run. It's just safer to take things at a medium pace.

Our boy Atvian has many questions...
    Just see this thread.

And, Atvian, it's hard to mistake "Paramedic" for "E.M.S. worker." It's never a good idea to pretend you're something you're not.

Forum Member

Sorry, only have 20+ years doing this. I know of many 10+ year members who believe that running on a scene is the only way to go. Those couple of seconds you "save" might mean the difference in someone's life. At least, that's how they explain it to me. Don't ever think it's only Juniors/Explorers who do stupid things at fire scenes.

To me, the only time to run on a fire scene is when it's that bad inside the fire and the flames are beating you out. Never run in, but don't be afraid to run out.

PS - Did anyone ever think the Juniors/explorer ask some of these questions just to see how many "experienced" firefighters will jump on them? Almost sounds like they are having a contest...and getting good results.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Firebraun, THANK YOU, you took the words right outta my mouth!
    My daddy used to tell me when I was with him at the firehouse or any other place...

Little boys are to be seen and not heard!

Ativan, I think this advice is well suited for you.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Ativan
    Firehouse.com Guest

OK the only reason I posted here is that all explorers run or most do,so I figured I would ask you guys about it to see what you had to say. I am sorry if I have in any way made you mad and I appologize.
    I figured it would be more informitive here but, this is not the first time I have been jumped on and not the last. I have learned to live with mistakes and move on. But I'll live.

Forum Member

No one is complaining about you asking. They are merely pointing out your false claims. You said it, not them.

Ativan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thank you nmfire for helping me, I did not mean I was a paramedic, but that I am wanting to BECOME one, sorry i made a mistake as I do very often. I will now SHUT MY MOUTH!

Forum Member

PUP!!
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Wayne, you took the words right out of my mouth!!!!

As for Ativan, he better take some before he polishes the brass and uses the toothbrush to scrub every crack and crevice in the firehouse.
    Just kick back and listen, you just might learn something!!!
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

Suddenly the picture is clear. Now I understand why you ask so many weird questions in the ALS forums.....cause you havent a clue about advanced life support.......One day you will figure it out, and when you do-LOOK OUT WORLD Just kidding!! Hey stay on the straight path and use these forums to LEARN!
    D. Hager
    Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Ativan,

Take the rest of the guys advice on here and learn before you leap!
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Forum Member

Bones,As an established crustie I feel it necessary to temporarily reassign you from BMI to BPI (Bureau of PUP Investigation)for an Antivan background check.T.C.

Thread Information