Default gyroscopic effect

ok, i've been looking for this everywhere, but can anyone explain to me what the gyroscopic effect is? thanks!

What I can remember back to high school physics is that gyroscopic effect is basically best described as a spinning top, it uses centrifical (sp) force to keep upright, that new human segway transporter thing uses gyroscopes in it to keep from falling. This field of new gadgets with it could be very interesting. gyroscopes might be in ladder trucks someday that could have a 200' ladder or more. Hope my brief untechnically-fact supported explanation helps

IACOJ BOD

And I thought it meant more than two officers at a scene giving orders, while everyone runs in circles.

Silly me.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Any solid spinning object will resist a change in the angle of its axle, the greater the spinning mass, the faster the rate of the spin, the flatter the object, and the larger the radius of the object, the stronger the gyroscopic tendancies are. Gyroscopes are used to maintain an angular reference (one for 2d reference such as a gyro compass, two for 3d such as heading and pitch indicator on an airplane).

Examples of gyroscopic effects include the ability to ride your bike w/o hands, the wheel wants to stay pointed in one direction as it spins. Another example is the previously mentioned top, it wants to remain upright.

Did you have a specific application in mind?

And Kiwi, you forgot the FF'r run in counter clockwise circles below the equater, clockwise above.
    ______________________________ __________________
    If you are new to posting please CLICK HERE for an essential lesson
    A bad day in the boat is better than a good day in the office. And in my case the office is a boat!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Yes actually, I was going over a drill a rookie gave while I was riding out at a station about a year ago, on the Parner K1200 Rotary Saw. I wrote down that one of the hazards was the gyroscopic effect, but I don't quite remember what it was. I understand the descriptions you're all giving me and I thank you very much for them, but how is the gyrosopic effect a hazard? I have an idea of the hazard, but if you could give me a better understanding of it, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Forum Member

The gyroscopic effect has an impact on the operation of a Partner saw in that when you throttle the saw up to speed the blade acts as a gyroscope and will attempt to maintain its orientation in space. So if you throttle the saw up with the blade perpendicular to the ground it will be difficult to change it from that orientation.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

A good example is if you take a bicycle tire and hold it by the axle, so you can spin in and the tire will be between your two hands, and spin it as fast as you can if you try to move it around its very difficult and wants to remain in the position it started. Thats a very basic experiment but it gets the point across. Hope that helped and did not confuse anyone.
    This statements made above do not represent the agency i belong to in any shape or form. So if i say something stupid its just me.

Forum Member

The only example Ican think of where you'd run into the gyro effect in the fire service would be with the K-Saw and other rotating tools such as a cut-off wheel or grinder, although to a lesser degree. Oh, and if you spin the platform on the ladder fast enough

On the K-saw, you will feel the effect in three ways, as you accelerate the blade, as you decelerate the blade, and as you move the unit around while the blade is spinning. Next time you're testing the saw, pick it up and gun the throttle, the saw will try to twist (clockwise I think) as the wheel accelerates, and you may also feel it once you let go of the gas (in the opposite direction) as the wheel slows. You'll also feel it if you make a v-cut in something and the wheel is still spinning while while you move, it'll feel like something is either holding or pushing the working end around while you move it.

A version of the bike wheel example is to sit on a bar stool while holding a bike wheel in front of you, you can actually make yourself spin on the stool (is its a good stool).

I used to work on airplanes when I was in the Marines, and there is a device called an inertial navigation system (INS) on most military planes which has 3 very precise gyro's inside of it to determine where the plane is pointing. The box was about 1 by 1 by 2 feet and in big letters on the side it said "DO NOT REMOVE until power has been off for at least 30 minutes". It took 30 minutes for the gyros to stop spinning. Well, wouldn't you know it, I saw a guy try to remove one from the plane about 10 minutes after power was turned off. What I witnessed next escapes words, but it was very funny as this young Marine tried to not drop the INS unit (which cost about $300,000). It looked like he was wrestling an invisible giant while the two of them held onto this black box. In the end, with the help of about 4 other Marines, he wrestled it to the ground, him under it, and the other 4 marines helping him to stablize it for the next 20 minutes as the gyros eventually spun down. A young officer comes by and asks them why five Marines would be laying on the ground under a jet fighter, they responded they were doing an external calibration of the gyro's.
    If you are new to posting please CLICK HERE for an essential lesson
    A bad day in the boat is better than a good day in the office. And in my case the office is a boat!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Thread Information