This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Question NFPA Replacement Standard for Bunker Gear?

Is there an NFPA standard for the replacement of bunker gear and if so what is the number of the standard? I am interested in finding out how long gear that appears to be in good condition can remain in service. We don't see a lot of fires and we have some people that feel this gear can last for many years. I disagree wholeheartedly with that. I would think that it has to break down over time even with little fire duty and thus is not as safe. Also, has anyone had any positive/negative experiences with Globe Milennia bunker gear? Thanks in advance.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Protective Economist

I believe that NFPA 1853 reference care and maintenance of turnout gear. However, as NFPA standards are changed, they usually include a grand-father clause for old, useful gear.

I know a number of departments that just budget for replacement gear every year...say 2 or 3 sets. Then, depending on the number of members, you can be sure that no one has gear older than 10 or 12 years.

MembersZone Subscriber

NFPA 1971-Protective Ensemble for Structural Firefighting, makes reference to retirement of gear if any element shows sign of damage, degradation or weakening. Also, any protective ensemble should be tested per NFPA 1971 annually to verify that all gear is cleaned, maintained, and ready to go. Just because a department doesn't "run" alot means that the gear should be less protective.

My dept runs around 1300 calls per year and I have had two completely new sets of gear in four years. I wash my gear every six months and maintain per the manufacturer's guidelines.

Any of our "old" stuff is passed down to the cadets who will not be within the hot zone.

Forum Member

Tom,I've had my Globe Millenia set for just about a year now.For the first few wearings you will look like the Michelin man(stiff as a plank).Jury's still out but I believe this to be a good wearing fabric.TPP is not as high as basofil but abrasion resistance is a lot higher.Mine is very comfortable over a wide temperature range.I'm a good test subject for the material as my gear sees a lot of use.So far I'm very pleased with the performance.T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

You must also make sure that the gear has no holes in the outer membrane or the inner vapor barier. If there are any holes in the gear then it is non compliant.

NFPA 1971-Protective Ensemble for Structural Firefighting, makes reference to retirement of gear if any element shows sign of damage, degradation or weakening.
    I recently had to replace the knee pads on my turn out gear because I had a hole in it. When you do things like this make sure that you use a nomex thread to sew on the new pads. when washing your gear in the best time to make sure and inspect the interior membrane as well as the outer layer.
    ----------------------------
    David S. Blevins

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

~Abraham Lincoln

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chief Mike Lee

I Am Looking For The Actual Time Limit On The Replacement Time Frame On Helmets
    Chief Mike Lee

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by captainlee View Post
    I Am Looking For The Actual Time Limit On The Replacement Time Frame On Helmets
    Do you mean a set deadline to remove a nominally undamaged helmet from service just due to age? If so, I don't recall one being provided in the standard.

FWIW, for bunker gear a typical recommended replacement interval is every 5 years. I would expect helmet replacement not to differ very much from that.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Protective Economist

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Do you mean a set deadline to remove a nominally undamaged helmet from service just due to age? If so, I don't recall one being provided in the standard.

FWIW, for bunker gear a typical recommended replacement interval is every 5 years. I would expect helmet replacement not to differ very much from that.
    Replacing a helmet with the turnout gear is the best option. A helmet should be replaced at least once every 10 years, even if it just sits on a shelf. That's 3 NFPA editions and between the sun, heat, cold, a few accidental drops, etc., it just won't be in "like new" condition.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Forum Member

I think that the NFPA standard you may be interested in is NFPA 1851: The Selection, Care, and Maintenance of the Firefighter Ensemble. I have had a class on this recently. The company that cares for all of our gear at both departments that I am on teaches this class. If there is any interest, post here and I will reply.

Steve

Thread Information