Forum Member

Default Dead Pets What Do You Do?

We Just had a Call where a few of the Family pets died. There was a few moments of debate during overhaul of just what to do with them. What are your common pratices done during you calls.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is a delicate situation, many people will get as upset about the death of an animal as they will a person. Treat the animal as if it were a person. Wrap it in a blanket and treat the critter with some respect, the family will be grateful.

Of course don't neglect your duties for an animal but make an effort.

Forum Member

Being a pet owner (two dogs, two cats) and having to put down pets due to illness, I can sympathize.

Ina fire situation, when we find deceased animals, we cover the animal with a towel or blanket and call animal control to remove the pet. Sometimes the residents opt to have the animal taken to their veterinarian to set up burial or cremation.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Like eeryone else said, wrap the pet up in a blanket or something then call animal control or let the family take it to the vet or whatever. In the past, we have wrapped them, then contacted someone from the Street Department to take it to the Municipal building since animal control is only around during the day.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile A little care....

A little caring attitude goes a long way here. We accord pets the same respect and dignity that you would expect for anything else. Our usual procedure is to wrap the pet in a sheet, then into a large plastic bag, which is held for the Animal Control officer (County Govt. position) who handles disposal. The family has the last word as to how they want things done, if they want to provide a burial themselves, or other suitable arrangement, it's their call. We offer any reasonable help that we can. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

If the animal is in good condition (ie died from smoke and not fire) we will gently wrap the poor guy in a blanket and command will inquire as to what they would like done with the animal. I am sure it is against some law somewhere but I wouldnt be against helping to dig a grave if the family planned a home burial.

The first fire I ever went to had this happen. We ended up leaving the dogs in the house until overhaul was completed and removed them from the side of the house, out of sight of the family. They were quite hysterical, and did just about everything including blame us for their deaths by searching for humans and not pets. It was very disturbing.
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

MembersZone Subscriber

I usually wrap the animal, if it's small enough, in a bed sheet and wait until nobody is looking to bring it out. We ask the head of the household what they would like done (i.e. give it to them or dispose of it ourselves).
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Thread Information