Default Honest Help Needed

Hello once again everyone -
    I am in need of some simple help. I am conducting a study for some coworkers of mine at the department in regards to uniform seperation between paid and volunteer staff. This is in no way meant to be a touchy subject, I am just looking for some statistics from across the country. In my department the volunteers are seperated greatly with different uniforms, different colored turnouts, different helmets, different patches, you get the idea...And the volunteer chair commitee is looking to spearhead some change. And my question to you is - What kind of uniform seperation is there between paid and volunteer's at your department? Once again I stress this isnt meant to spark argument, i am just looking for facts from across the U.S. Thanks again! Be safe, and Remain calm

Forum Member

Helmet color/markings only, same turnouts, same uniform.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Uniforms

I work for a combo Dept. And public looking at us in uniform or gear would not see a difference. All equipment is the same!
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Ohhh Crap not again!!! Please one day w/o the car/vol thing!!!

Forum Member

Originally posted by engine23ccvfd
    Ohhh Crap not again!!! Please one day w/o the car/vol thing!!!
    It's up to us whether we make this into a career vs. volunteer thing. The gentleman asking the question is simply looking for facts.

In Fairfax County, VA, there is no difference in the turnout gear between paid and volunteer. The helmets used to have a little sticker on the front that would say "Fairfax County Fire Department" or "XYZ Volunteer Fire Department", but I'm not sure they do that anymore. You couldn't really see the sticker anyway. In PG County, MD, I don't think there is a difference, but I'm not entirely sure.

Should there be a difference? If there is a difference in training, rank, or qualifications, yes. Otherwise, I don't see a reason for it.

Stay Safe

In the combination department I volunteer for there are no real visible differences. Everyone has the same gear and helmets. Uniforms I can't tell you about, I've been there a while and still haven't received one.

IACOJ BOD

New Zealand makes no difference in the PPE or uniform. We all wear the same gear.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

the interms form my school wear different gear then the Firefighters and different uniforms

we are considered the same as volunteer to certin departments others have us as near equals

Forum Member

In my part of Arizona, all the gear and uniforms are the same. Same responsibilities, same hazards, same uniforms.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm a volunteer at a combo department and uniforms are the same for all FF. The only difference in turn outs is helmet color: Yellow for vollie, black for paid.

MembersZone Subscriber

No difference, their shouldn't be.

Thanks for all the help guys, I would appreciate as many more inputs as I can get. This is really good stuff. Thanks again, and keep postin'!

Thread Information