Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb About the Explorers/Jr.'s......

I have heard a lot of you talking very bad about our younger, less experienced, but none the less fellow emergency responders. I understand the fact that some of their post are meaningless and have no reason for being on this forum, but what we must remember is that they are the future of the fire service. Yes! They are inexperienced and don't know a lot, but isn't that the reason they are Explorers/Jr.s in the first place? They show an interest in learning how to do the job we do. When we're old and grey, they're going to be the one's ready and willing to save our butts. I'm sure telling them to grow up and learn a little bit, by us firefighters, is warranting them to want to hang with it. All I'm really trying to say is that maybe we should let them learn and ask questions, instead of telling them about how much we think they are crap.

I'm sure this post is going to strike a nerve with a few people, but I don't care. I once was an Explorer and if I had people constantly telling me that I was worthless, I'm sure I wouldn't be a firefighter today.

They can ask all the questions they want, but SOME of them need to refstrain themselves when they reply. TOO often they come off as smart assed PUPS and tick off a lot of guys who would help them learn. Therein lies the problem.
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Default Here I go again

I know most of you probally don't like me anymore, but I am honestly trying to learn as much as I can. Lox and Wayne both have good points. Some of the Juniors do come off as smart@$$. On the other hand most of the Juniors do want to learn stuff.

Hope you don't hate me after this post
    Rob
    FireFighter/EMT/VRT
    Engine Co 3
    Westmoreland City

These opinions are mine and mine only nobody eles.

You for one are fine.
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

WSFDEXPLR
    Firehouse.com Guest

What about me?
    ________

Temporarilty rethinking If I should voice my thoughts on this opinion
    Last edited by Engine101; 03-13-2003 at 11:35 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Default Let those who have not sinned.....

Fellow crusties:
    If we give this a little thought, you will come to the conclusion that some who have posted here; you know, the ones in the "permanently removed" category really haven't set the good example for the little ones. I have, on occasion, been known to teeter on the brink of poor taste in some of my posts. I have made a conscious effort since I was delivered some sage advice to include more substance in my posts.
    I firmly believe that the majority of the juniors are hear to learn.
    But that can be done by reading more and talking less. It's hard to learn with your foot in your mouth.
    I am interested in what the juniors have to say. Any one of them can pm or email me. I will be glad to assist them, if I can.
    But coming in here with an attitude will only tick the guys off who have been doing the job longer than most of the juniors have been on this Earth.
    And a little respect to those who paved the way for them wouldn't hurt.
    Just my opinion. I could be wrong.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Now here we go with the Explorers and Juniors making sure they're in good graces...

I think the problem with SOME explorers/jrs. is that they really want to fit in with the firefighters. They try so hard that they may not realize how they are coming off. Most have their attitudes adjusted after one or two occassions.

Once they understand that being a FF is not about pagers, scanners, strobes in your p.o.v., Galls T-shirts, etc. many of them go on to become fine firefighters.

I hereby vow to be more supportive to the jrs, and to hold back the sarcasm etc. (except for those that seem to be begging for it)

We as crusty old jakes have the opportunity to solve the problem; but remember jrs, the jakes help those who help themselves. Put down the scanner and pick up a textbook, or tool and learn.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

There is a big difference between an explorer who wants to learn, and a PUP.

The explorer who wants to learn enters posts with questions, clarifications, or scenarios in which he/she genuinely wants input from those with more experience. He/she realizes that the experience he DOES have is a beginning, but he/she does not know it all.

The PUP is one who posts on how many blue lights he/she has, how many times he/she has left school for a fire, how members of the opposite sex LOVE firefighters, and brags about how long his/her DAD has been in and seems to feel that the crust his/her dad earned fell off and stuck on himself.

The first one, I'll do anything to assist, even if he/she can't spell or type.

The second one gets nothing.
    9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Explorers should be encouraged o post there questions in the explorer form. Many FF read there form and have answered questions for them there. If they need more help I have seen more then 10 respected guys offer to allow them to PM questions to them.

I agree we should encourage them to learn but as the advisor for our Jr program I have seen what one PUP can do to the whole program. It is not fair to the good kids and many will never overcome the preceptions the FF's have developed.

If you are an explorer and you read this, please post in your section. Feel free to ask all the question you want there. FF will answer you. Also please take up some of these FF's offers and PM them questions. Make sure it is a question not asking us to validate your opinion (ie How many of you think running is wrong, I do?).

Remember the only stupid question is the one not asked, but ask it in the right place. If you have any question feel free to PM me or any of the guys that have offered.
    B Holmes

Forum Member

I have been an explorer for almost 3 years now I started on the fire department when I turn 15 years old.. Never one time did I think that here look I got a pager and radio I am all that and a bag of chips.... I joined becuase I wanted to serve my community to the best of my ability. Yes there are people out there that thinks they are superfireman and can do anything and has that attitude that they know everything. WELL ***NEWSFLASH*** You don't and there is nothing wrong with asking questions as long as they are legitimate questions and not stupid questions like When do you turn on lights and sirens? DUH right? I mean I am willing to help answer any question that is legit and has a need to know but there are some questions that are being posted here in the JR FF forum that are plain out rediculus...>I will help someone that is willing to learn and best the best they can be but I refuse to help ANYONE that is going to be a smartass and think that they are everything. They don't need any help if they think that and they are on a fire department for the wrong reason.

I would type more but my class period at school just ended so I gotta go and I will add more later

Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Unhappy Uh oh...

I've been gone for 2 weeks, can anybody do a quick recap on what happened, or do I really want to know?
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Forum Member

Default Re: Uh oh...

Originally posted by WFDjr1
    I've been gone for 2 weeks, can anybody do a quick recap on what happened, or do I really want to know?
    Probably not, but I will tell you anyway. I am not going to beat up on anyone, but "Ativan" just has been posting some questions that were more his feelings and has been mis-representing himself and just gotten some guys mad. His first thread on this forum involved running: Runnin?

and then after getting beaten up for that thread posted this: I now shut up

I don't think the kid meant harm, but it just ticked off some guys, rightfully so, but anyway, decide for yourself...

Forum Member

I started as an Explorer with the Volunteer Fire Department in my hometown. I served as our Explorer Captain for 2 of the 3 years I was a member.
    I was known for my wisecrack, smartass comments and attitude, I still am! But for hell sakes I know when to take stuff seriously. I'm all for helping the new guy, whether an Explorer, Jr, or FNG.
    I like a good laugh, I like some good advice. But what I DO NOT TOLERATE is someone criticizing something they have no part of! Do Exp/Jr's react the same on an incident as a Firefighter, line Officer or Chief Officer? NO! Why? Because they do not have the same responsibility, knowledge or tasks to accomplish. Someones life is not hanging on the line. If the Jr/Exp doesn't show up or do thier job, big deal, I change my own air tank and get my own drink of water. If I don't show up to work in the morning, who is going to drive the BRT? Who is going to ride the back and put the fire out? Breath life into a lifeless child?
    That is where I'm coming from. The Forums are a great place to gain information from some of the Nations (and neighboring countries) greatest Jakes.
    Ativan had every bit of his sh*t coming to him! If someone else pipes up like that, be it Junior, Explorer or Firefighter I think they would get the same reaction from the Brothers (and Sisters) here.

'Nuff said....

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

MembersZone Subscriber Engine5FF's Avatar

All I want from the Juniors on this forum is for them to LEARN HOW TO TYPE! It's the English language for Pete sakes. Use it properly and leave the "chat room lingo" in the chat rooms. I feel (and others too) that bad grammar is a direct reflection on your maturity.

Beyond that, ask all the questions you want. If they are perceived as annoying or "over-done" most people just ignore them until they disappear off the front page. Responding to bad posts only resets them to the head of the forums.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

To add to Engine5FF's post...

Do not misrepresent yourself! There are Jr.s and Explorers in here who are lying through their teeth, claiming to be interior firefighters, driving rigs, etc. Part of this job is integrity and trust. You lie, you lose your credibility and the trust of those who you wish to become one of.

Your "daring feats of firefighting and rescue" may impress Suzie Hotpants in the halls of the high school, but it doesn't mean diddlysquat here!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

See above 2 posts for my reply also
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-egh
    *** These are my opinions, they do not in any way reflect those of my department.***

Thread Information