Thread: Cellar Nozzles

Default Cellar Nozzles

Hi, im a JR and i was just wondering when you would want to use a cellar nozzle instead of sending men in with a hose line and attack the fire head on?
    -JEFF G

RES49CUE
    Raritan Twp,NJ

49-56
    "Have Jaws, Will Travel"

MembersZone Subscriber

If you haven't see it yet I'm sure you will, but some basements have so much crap in them that you just can't get down there and hit the fire. That is the only scenario I have see it used.

It is a real pain to get through the floor and place the nozzle. So if you can get down there and get the fire.

IACOJ Agitator

Here's a pic of a cellar pipe and distributor sticking through the floor of a burn house. Of course, the nice people of the burnhouse already had a nice 1 square foot hole cut into the floor. We hooked it up to show the juniors and other members who have never seen it used before. To tell the truth, after being in for 10 years, that was the first time I ever saw it used.

IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

IACOJ Agitator

BTW, it did a great job knocking down the fire. It works basically like a portable sprinkler system.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Talking

There not used much, but there is just one thing I dont like, you have to be on the floor above the fire, and that floor could be gettin weaker. But they are pretty fun to hold during a drill, because u get SOAKED!

Permanently Removed

We use this thing called a Pineapple, its on the end of a pole, and hooks to the hose, and it stuck through the window, althoughm it hasn't been used since like, well, noone remembers the last time it was used

Forum Member

Default when to use it ALL THE TIME

When to use the cellar nozzle. It is more or less our unwritten Sop that during a basement fire a 2 1/2" line is set up and the cellar nozzle is ready to go IF the attack crew can not make the basement on the FIRST try. Sine 1988 when I started all this we have had 3 basement fires. They were all well advanced on arrival and the homes were built between 1850 and 1950 balloon frame construction. The second fire I was first in on and found my self on my stomach looking for the steps. When I did find what was left of them we called it quits and got out. The hole was make an axe swing inside the front door because that was as far as we could get in. It took about 60 seconds to bust a hole thru and the callar nozzle knocked the fire down in about 30 seconds. The next two hours were used chasing it all over the rest of the houses in the row There is no need proving how tough you are getting down into a basement if you are going to get killed in the process. Many of the steps the the old houses we have are only 12-16" wide and so old that they are a danger when there is no fire. I rather cut a hole and fill the basement up with water then get someone hurt, the insurance company will fix it no matter what we do anyway.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

We were able to purchase cellar nozzles for every truck during this past budget year. Since then we have used them several times in training, but since we have not had any fires in the basement of a structure. We have discussed a way to enter the basement with the nozzles but never established a guideline to operate these nozzles.

Also, for your operators out there, since the stream acts as several smooth bore type streams we operate it at a normal smooth bore handline pressure. Is this correct. During training we have increased the pressure (we hand the line attached to a post so nobody was holding the line) and we increased the pressure to that of a fog nozzle and the nozzle seamed to spin faster. Preferences on this or operating procedures.

Great device.
    ----------------------------
    David S. Blevins

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

~Abraham Lincoln

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Alert! Alert! This Just In......

This may come as a shock to some, but, They are not just for cellars!!! The style that we use is called a "Bresnan Distributor", and there is one on each Engine, the Tower Ladder, and the Squad. I am not sure who Bresnan was/is, but I got a gut feeling that he was/is a crusty Irish firefighter from NY, Bahstin, or Chitown.(Local color added) I have used them over the years and find plenty of work under certain situations. They are good for flooding almost any concealed space, or any space that is risky to try to enter. I have placed one in a hole cut in the top of a Railroad Boxcar, several trucks, including Garbage trucks, small attic spaces, the "False front" facade on malls, and the list goes on. Like everything we have in this great business, the uses for the cellar pipe are limited only by your imagination. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Got em, use em. We have used them in cellars and through windows/walls of buildings that could not be entered. We have used them in attics were entry was not safe.

Try this, we have 1 preconnect on each truck that is piped for foam use when needed. Throw the cellar nozzle on that line and add foam to the fun. Never hurts.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Hey Bones!...........

May I ask - Class A Foam on a very windy day???? LOL Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Not many cellar fires around here. We have used them in a few attics before. Works like a charm, and they're fun to play with.

Thread Information