Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default What would you use in this situation?

Down here (Australia) we don't tend to have RIT/FAST crews established at incidents, or even have 2 firefighters standing by ready to go in to assist, because "We don't lose firefighters at structure fires" apparently. One dept (QFRS) is doing something, but apart from that I'm not aware of any other dept that does. If I'm really lucky I can convince the I/C to have two FF's standing around looking bored with sets on their backs but no tools organised or anything like that.

I'm trying to get a FAST system established at structure fires, using the softly softly gently gently crawl before they walk aproach. My question is if I can get two firefighters standing by as a FAST crew, what tools/equipment would you suggest that they carry if deployed out of the following that are available -

Sledge (maul)
    Haligan
    Flat head Axe
    Guide rope
    Spare SCBA
    Rabbit Tool
    pinch bar
    Bottle Jack
    10lb DryChem extinguisher
    that's about all we have available on our pumpers that would be of any use. We don't have TIC's or anything else like that, or saws or carry bags etc. I'm probably not going to be able to get them to spend any money on anything (we don't lose firefighters remember?) so it's going to be a case of doing the best with what we have already available.

Many of our structure fires are single story, single family houses, construction varies, older ones have wooden weatherboards on the outside walls, later ones are brick outside walls. Most normally have wood truss roofs of some sort. We also get quite a few fires in single story housing unit blocks as well, which generally have flat roofs. Almost all interior walls are vertical wooden stud with a plaster covering.

What would you suggest the crew of two take with them if deployed to extricate one or more firefighters?
    Last edited by stillPSFB; 03-15-2003 at 07:53 PM.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

an axe, halligan and spare SCBA should do for the first team. the important thing is to have any available equipment staged outside. the first team should be able to move fast and be mobile. once inside they assess the downed firefighter and then get on the radio and tell the second team what they need. the second team then brings that stuff in that is needed. second team then preps the house for extrication such as making openings larger and the sort.

if you have any further questions try over at www.rapidintervention.com/forums there are many knowledgable people over there that can also answer any question you throw at them.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

I have to agree with Ryan. I also have to definetly agree with you visiting http://www.rapidintervention.com!

There is a gentleman by the name of Bruce Trickey that works for Queensland Fire & Rescue Athority. From the dealings I have had with him I would say he is the foremost authority on RIT in Australia. He has an article posted on my website that would be of interest for you to read. It also includes his email address. Here is the link to his article. Bruce Trickey Article

Good Luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default RIT sog's

We recently invested a great amount of time and effort experimenting, training, and revising our RIT sog's. The resulting guidelines are consistent with the previous posts in that the primary teams(Search Team) objective is to travel light, move fast, and find the missing FF. Once the missing FF has been located, radio back to the support team to bring up additional equipment and/or get the downed FF out. If you are limited in manpower then the primary/search team may have to bring more equipment with them. We have found that the 3 most important tools to bring in are: Thermal Camera, Spare SCBA, Tag line.

The previously mentioned wed site is excellent and I would be happy to send you our sog's and other literature and publications we used.

~R
    Cap - Rescue 5 - CFD

As i was taught by my instructor two very important things are spare air (either a spare bottle system or just another pack) and a tag line. B/c as long as there is no right that second danger to the downed FF you can get in there tir off to him with the rope and give him the air he will need you can get anything else your goning to need.

However a more important step before getting into tools and SOPs is to train and know your tactics for RIT cold. Learn pack conversions, lifting methods, mayday calls, etc. b/c if these are not in place and have been practiced than all of the RIT tools and FFs will not save a single brother.

For a good training senerio check out "The Denver Senerio" it comes from an incident in colorado and is used by many instructors in the US to show how acting w/o a plan can make a simple rescue go bad.

good luck and lets hope none of us need RIT anytime soon
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

The first team in on a RIT activation in my department takes a search rope, a set of irons, and the TIC. Their primary goal is to find and access the members in trouble. Then they call for support as needed. As the support team moves up they will package the victims if possible.
    I also have to agree with Shammrock about training. Trained pro-active firefighters are what make a team. You can have all the tools you want, if the firefighters lack the skills or training to use them in a RIT environment they are useless.

Thread Information