Thread: Crusty?

Default Crusty?

Let me start this thread off by stating that I am not a jr/explorer. I am a long time reader of these forums but I seldom post. I've been around the fire service for almost 10 years and have enjoyed every minute of it. Now that we have that out of the way. Many of the posts I read refer to crusties or people being crusty. So, please let my mind take a break and explain to me what the hell it is This is bugged me ever since I've started reading these and have never seen anyone explain or ask about it. Would someone please enlighten me??

Disillusioned Subscriber
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Crust, what forms on the helmet and turnouts of firefighters. Figuratively speaking, since you should clean your turnouts to prevent getting cancer on your neck (Right Brett?) and any other associated health problems connected with the job.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Lightbulb

Poof!!! the smoke clears... I see now. Although I do have to admit I feel like somewhat of a moron I wish I could say that I have crust but even though I do have 10 years plus many different certifications I really dont think I am even close to scratching the surface of firefighting. There is so much to know yet life is so short. Oh sure I do have more experience than oh I dont know lets pick someone who is in everyones good graces right now....lets say "Ativan" But I dont think anyone will ever have it all figured out. No one knows everything there is to know about firefighting and there will always be room for improvement. I also feel that there are still people in our brotherhood who still need to figure that out they dont know it all. Sorry about the rant. Thanks for the help with the crust though I'll be able to sleep better tonight.

Forum Member

Hey snuffer, shoot me an email mail

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Flamesnuffer; 66 wants YOU to call him?

Flamesnuffer:
    You are gettng an invitation from the Vice President himself?
    The International Association of Crusty Old Jakes is an organization aimed at education and tradition. It is not about years of service; it is a state of mind. It is an attitude. It is a love of leather helmets. You don't have to have one; you just have to wish you did!
    We have an abiding and deep respect for the storied history of the fire service. We care deeply for each other. We literally watch each other's back. We participate in meaningful dialogue. We mentor juniors and explorers. Notice that none of our's is in here causing trouble. It is because they embody the spirit at an early age. We help them to cultivate their dough into crust.
    Go to our website and see for yourself.
    You won't be disappointed.
    And if you are asked to join, it will be a day to remember.
    The list of members reads like a Who's Who.
    Take care and stay safe.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Thread Information