>
    > By JULIA SILVERMAN
    > Associated Press Writer
    >
    > PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- The creator of the long-running reality
    > television
    > series "COPS" fell 300 feet from an Oregon cliff into the Pacific
    > Ocean and
    > was missing, police and the Coast Guard said.
    >
    > Paul Stojanovich, 47, and his fiancee Kim Srowel were hiking
    > Saturday at
    > Treasures Cove, a bluff overlooking the ocean, when he slipped while
    > stopping to pose for a picture, said Coast Guard Petty Officer Jamie
    > Desanno.
    >
    > Stojanovich grabbed a tree limb to break his fall but plummeted into
    > the
    > surf below, said Sgt. Mike Zimmerman of the Tillamook County
    > Sheriff's
    > Office. The waves were 14 to 16 feet at the time, and rain over the
    > past
    > week had left the trail slippery and wet.
    >
    > Officers searched for three hours after Srowel called 911, but they
    > didn't
    > find any sign of Stojanovich, Desanno said.
    >
    > COPS premiered on March 11, 1989, and aired its 500th episode last
    > season.
    >

It is SO utterly ironic that a man who pioneered reality television didn't
    have his own death videotaped.

'Police Videos' Producer Missing in Ore.
    By JULIA SILVERMAN
    Associated Press Writer

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP)--The creator of the reality television series ``World's Wildest Police Videos'' fell 300 feet from an Oregon cliff into the Pacific Ocean and was feared dead, authorities said Sunday.

Paul Stojanovich, 47, and his fiancee Kim Srowel were hiking Saturday at Treasure Cove, a bluff overlooking the ocean, when he slipped while stopping to pose for a picture, said Coast Guard Petty Officer Jamie Desanno.

Stojanovich grabbed a tree limb but plummeted into the surf below, said Sgt. Mike Zimmerman of the Tillamook County Sheriff's Office. Waves were 14 to 16 feet at the time, and rain over the past week had left the trail slippery.

Srowel called 911, and officers searched for three hours but found no sign of Stojanovich, Desanno said.

Before he became executive producer of ``World's Wildest Police Videos,'' Stojanovich had been an assistant field producer for the long-running show ``COPS,'' which premiered in March 1989.

Stojanovich, whose home is in Portland, also is an honorary Special Reserve Officer for the Beaverton Police Department, said Beaverton police spokesman Mark Hyde.

``Paul was probably the first one to bring real police officers into your home and give people a real look at the stresses and strains that the street-level people come across, day after day, night after night,'' Hyde said. ``He made police officers more alive.''

AP-NY-03-16-03 1638EST

Copyright 2003, The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP Online news report may not be published, broadcast or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Pres

MembersZone Subscriber

It is SO utterly ironic that a man who pioneered reality television didn't have his own death videotaped.
    This is a tragedy, and you make a joke; a bad one at that. The only reason you posted this was to take a shot at the guy. Nice job. Your motives are completely transparent.

MembersZone Subscriber

George, what does the LE community think of "COPS". I would imagine they have a fairly positive view of it or else it wouldn't still be on the air.

I have heard that they have tried to work out an arrangement with the Chicago PD but were turned down cold.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't watch it. I don't know any other cop who does. I think it is like programs about the fire service. For every minute of excitement, there is an hour of boredom. LE is exactly like that as well.

The segments are chosen for their entertainment. value. That's OK, and I understand that. It's not meant as a training video. But, as a result, it does give a somewhat distorted view of what a cop does.

My comments were not made becuase of the LE nature of the show. The comment was an absolutely tasteless comment about a tragic death of a person.

Forum Member

George, you're 100% correct. The comment was totally inappropriate.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Truly amazing!

Quite a long ways to go for a punch line.

And this isn't directed at choad33, unless the shoe fits, of course.
    You know; it is truly amazing how utterly uninteresting it has become here.
    I mean; it almost seems like if you can't put a beer related thread in here, there's nothing to talk about.
    No scenarios; no "what ifs"; no "I learned this last evening and want to share". Just a bunch of nonsensical drivel.
    Oh, every now and then, it gets interesting because a pup speaks up and gets swatted, but for the most part; take a look at the titles and judge for yourself.
    There are more meaningful debates taking place in the Off-Duty Forums. There's a good Volunteer Forum about inexperienced FFs as officers, but that's about it.
    Someone else coined it earlier; no meaningful dialogue.
    I have to agree. I'll come back when there is some.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

This is a tragedy, and you make a joke; a bad one at that. The only reason you posted this was to take a shot at the guy. Nice job. Your motives are completely transparent.

Hold on a min guys The only thing I am guilty of is not proof reading what I click and paste. I pulled the whole thing off of a newsgroup and did not put thoes comments there

E Varden" wrote in message
    news:3E74B413.579119EA@munge.vif.com...
    > Mar 16, 8:53 AM EST
    >
    > 'COPS' Producer Falls Off Cliff, Missing
    >
    > By JULIA SILVERMAN
    >
    >> Insurance? Pre-nup?
    >
    > (This would've been a video worthy of Wuthering Heights....)

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 21:05:20 GMT, "unidyne" wrote:
    >
    > It is SO utterly ironic that a man who pioneered reality television didn't
    > have his own death videotaped.

When vacations go bad.

There are the headers go to alt tastless and check it out for yourself

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Wait a Minute......

CR, I agree. And George was correct in his view as well, But, getting back to "Meaningful Dialogue" Do we have a responsibility to post something meaningful? I would think so, and I will attempt to do so. There are several things out there at the moment, in this group that might help someone think a bit about their tools or tactics. See "Cellar Nozzles" and "Forcible Entry Tools". If the direction of the "Forums" needs to change, I would think that it's up to us, the users, to facilitate that change. I'll pitch in as much as I can. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Wait a Minute......

Originally posted by hwoods
    CR, I agree. And George was correct in his view as well, But, getting back to "Meaningful Dialogue" Do we have a responsibility to post something meaningful? I would think so, and I will attempt to do so. There are several things out there at the moment, in this group that might help someone think a bit about their tools or tactics. See "Cellar Nozzles" and "Forcible Entry Tools". If the direction of the "Forums" needs to change, I would think that it's up to us, the users, to facilitate that change. I'll pitch in as much as I can. Stay Safe....
    Amen.

MembersZone Subscriber

Choad, you are forgiven for insensitivity. Bet you'll read everything you post in the future.

Chief R, you ought to post your views in a seperate thread and get everyone's opinion on this.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by choad33

Hold on a min guys The only thing I am guilty of is not proof reading what I click and paste. I pulled the whole thing off of a newsgroup and did not put thoes comments there

E Varden" wrote in message
    news:3E74B413.579119EA@munge.vif.com...
    > Mar 16, 8:53 AM EST
    >
    > 'COPS' Producer Falls Off Cliff, Missing
    >
    > By JULIA SILVERMAN
    >
    >> Insurance? Pre-nup?
    >
    > (This would've been a video worthy of Wuthering Heights....)

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 21:05:20 GMT, "unidyne" wrote:
    >
    > It is SO utterly ironic that a man who pioneered reality television didn't
    > have his own death videotaped.

When vacations go bad.

There are the headers go to alt tastless and check it out for yourself
    So, if it is posted on "alt tasteless org" it is ultimately appropriate for posting here? I think not.

Forum Member

Actually, If you read on www.officer.com, many of the officers there support the show. One person posted that many LEOs are in the business because of the show.

I for one, even after being in the fire service for 5 years, and if you want to count exploring/jr firefighting, 8 years, still enjoy watching "Paramedics" which is now only on Discovery Health, and would truly enjoy a COPS style show about firefighting.

Any responsible, mature person knows that the runs you see on COPS are the exception and not the norm, but that does't make it any less entertaining to watch.

Forum Member

Hey, there's nothing wrong with watching COPS. Several of the guys I work with were on from the many times COPS rode with us and it's great to be able to remind some of them of their stupid "on air" comments and actions! Waaaay back when I was all cop and not half FF we even watched Hill Street Blues!

As for the cliffs, lots of folks have gone over the edge on the NW coastline, some have even been helped over the edge. When I was CG it was a frequent call for the helicopters out of Astoria.

Sad thing is that the man died.

Thread Information