Question Basic Pump Operations

I have a basic question that I would like to have answered.

* How do you hook up double laid 3" (2 1/2" couplings) hose supply line to the pumper for supply operations?

My answer is you take a siamese ("Y" adapter) with 2 - 2 1/2" intakes on a 5" stortz adapter that connects to the 5" intake on the pumper.

Is this correct or am I totally wrong. I would like a general idea if this is what people that lay double 3" do. (I know it would be much easier to lay 5")

I was told by a person to put one 3" supply line in the 2 1/2" intake. (Which is fine, I agree you can do that.) Then take the other 3" supply line and place that on the 2 1/2" discharge and let the pump go, and start pumping. (I guess his idea on doing this was to put more pressure on the hose (intake side) to flow more water?) (I DON'T AGREE WITH THIS.) Am I wrong?

Please if you could let me know how you would lay double 3" supply line let me know.

MembersZone Subscriber

The answer to your question would be yes. You are able to hook up the two 3" lines to the 5" steamer connections. All you would have to do is take a 5" to 2 1/2" adapter and use the siamese ("Y" adapter) to connect the lines. You can also take one 3" line in to the steamer connection and the other into the 2 1/2" intake.

Of course everything would be made easier to lay a 5" line. makes things a whole lot easier.
    ----------------------------
    David S. Blevins

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

~Abraham Lincoln

MembersZone Subscriber

Did this person provide any technical justification to explain how the 3" hose on the discharge will increase pressure on the first 3" hose to the 5" suction supply?

I suggest either using:
    1) a gated siamese on the 5" suction (even if you have to add the valves to the siamese or use a gated wye - storz X 2-1/2 - with double females) or
    2)connect the first 3" supply hose to the 5" suction and the second 3" supply to the 2-1/2" suction.

In this way, if one of the 3" supply hoses bursts, you can isolate it. Otherwise you have to shut down the pump - which, of course, will not thrill those inside. Of course, hydrant valves are also in order.

Jim Feld
    Fairfield, CA
    Last edited by FireH2O; 03-18-2003 at 02:21 AM.

Forum Member

Default Re: Basic Pump Operations

Originally posted by FF17025

I was told by a person to put one 3" supply line in the 2 1/2" intake. (Which is fine, I agree you can do that.) Then take the other 3" supply line and place that on the 2 1/2" discharge and let the pump go, and start pumping. (I guess his idea on doing this was to put more pressure on the hose (intake side) to flow more water?) (I DON'T AGREE WITH THIS.) Am I wrong?
    You're right. Think about it...this is silly: In essence, you'd be trying to return the water you just received back to the engine or hydrant feeding you. There's all sorts of problems with this sort of thing. A suction siamese is the way to go (although most of these that I've ever seen are clappered so that valves aren't necessary - if a line bursts, the clapper will shut that side of the siamese for you).

The only context in which anything remotely like this makes sense is if you're just trying to fill a big tank quickly through the pump, with the pump disengaged. Then, you can open tank-to-pump and pump-to-tank valves and bring water in anywhere you like, just to shove more of it in the tank faster. I've done this when filling older tanker-pumpers that didn't have direct tank fills, but you don't see them much anymore. Still, this isn't what you're talking about here.

Thread Information