MembersZone Subscriber

Default Question for the Crusties

While browsing the JR forum (in an attempt to make a positive impact) I found a thread about washing turnout gear. A poster stated the following

The most important thing you can do when washing turnout gear is remember to use fabric softener, otherwise your gear will stand up on its own, also it is a lot less wear on the washer if you remove any liners and turn the out shells inside out so the clips and buttons aren't getting abused or beating the washer.

I am pretty sure fabric softener is a big no no. Does anyone know for sure?
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

A company that specializes in cleaning and reapiring turnout gear told me that the best way to clean gear is with a soft brissle brush, mild soap and water. This will get rid of most of the dirt and grime on the suit. If you machine wash just use mild soap, also front end washers are best as they tumble the gear instead of the top-load ones that have the agitator in the middle that spins. This agitator can wear out gear after awhile. And always air dry the gear, never use a dryer, or use it as little as possible. The dryer can deteriorate the gear quicker.

Forum Member

we clean our gear with soap and water

brush it up hose it down and put it on your rake inside to air dry
    FireSarge
    Joseph Sullivan
    Ohio

"Any man willing to die in my place is my brother. Any man willing to turn and run is my enemy. Which will you be?"

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Silly idea, but...............

Maybe someone out there can locate one of those big "Instruction Sheets" that come packed in every coat or pants. The manufacturer puts those instructions out for a reason. (yeah, I know, product liability) And, the directions for cleaning should mention fabric softener, one way or the other. My gut feeling is that using it is a no-no. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Default Correct, fabric softener is a no-no.

Our Nomex station uniforms specifically state not to use fabric softener on their laundering instructions. I asked a manufacturers rep why at a fire expo and got told this:

Fabric softener is essentially an oil-based product. The way it keeps fabric "soft" is by leaving a residue on the fabric. So, if you use it on a fire resistant fabric like Nomex, you've essentialy coated a fabric that is designed to resist fire with a flammable residue.

He also told me that it's not permanent and won't ruin the fabric. If you've got your Nomex all nice and softened up, simply washing them a time or two without the softener will get rid of the residue and your Nomex will be back to providing the protection it was designed to.
    Fire service survival tips:
    1) Cook at 350...
    2) Pump at 150...
    3) When in doubt, isolate and deny entry...
    4) When in trouble, claim lack of adult supervision.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.globefiresuits.com/globe/tech-data/care.asp

I washed mine at the local laundrymat today with Tide.
    FTM - PTB

Forum Member

And you're right again Harve.Specifically stated "NO"in the manual that came with the gear. And washing them in the local laundrymat isn't a good idea either,you're potentially leaving a chemical residue that could get on someones kids clothes.Gear should be washed in a dedicated machine used for gear only. Stiff gear? A couple good trainings and washings takes the "starch"(stiff) right out of them. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

The only time my gear ever "stood up" by itself was when it came fresh out of the box, with that "new car" smell.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    The only time my gear ever "stood up" by itself was when it came fresh out of the box, with that "new car" smell.
    Or after pulling an all nighter at a surround and drown operation in subfreezing weather....

We have an extraction machine at our HQ station. Laundry detergent and warm water only, then air dry.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Gonz, don't forget, that can't be done until the ice is broken off the clasps by smacking them with a spanner wrench.......And thanks for putting that thought in all of us losers heads here in the colder climes. Winter is just around the corner, time to get my flourescent orange neoprene hose-picking-up gloves and wooly watch cap outta the locker.
    Leroy140 (yes, THAT Leroy)
    Fairfield, CT, Local 1426
    IACOJ Tillerman

Forum Member

Clean using manufacturer's instructions.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Awrite................

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101
    And you're right again Harve.Specifically stated "NO"in the manual that came with the gear. And washing them in the local laundrymat isn't a good idea either,you're potentially leaving a chemical residue that could get on someones kids clothes.Gear should be washed in a dedicated machine used for gear only. Stiff gear? A couple good trainings and washings takes the "starch"(stiff) right out of them. T.C.
    Thanks Tim. Nice to know that. Even 3 years later.....

And for you fun loving wintertime folks (Yes, THAT Leroy......) Don't use a spanner to break the ice off the coat buckles, use a wheel brush handle...... One more "Crusty" tip: Keep a hairdryer on each rig during the winter. Thaws couplings, clears windows, thaws gauges, warms hands, clears ice from coat buckles, Hairdryers only draw 1,500w so they aren't a big drain on generator capacity...... Stay Safe, (and warm) Harve
    Last edited by hwoods; 12-01-2005 at 11:13 PM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    Thanks Tim. Nice to know that. Even 3 years later.....

And for you fun loving wintertime folks (Yes, THAT Leroy......) Don't use a spanner to break the ice off the coat buckles, use a wheel brush handle...... One more "Crusty" tip: Keep a hairdryer on each rig during the winter. Thaws couplings, clears windows, thaws gauges, warms hands, clears ice from coat buckles, Hairdryers only draw 1,500w so they aren't a big drain on generator capacity...... Stay Safe, (and warm) Harve
    I HATE cold weather!

I have to give you guys up north a lot of credit! It must really suck to have to deal with the extreme cold on the fireground...BRRRRRRRRR! I tip my lid to you all.

I have lived in the north, but never fought fire up there. I'm originally from Mass. and have spent a few years in Tenn.
    I don't miss the winters.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    Or after pulling an all nighter at a surround and drown operation in subfreezing weather....
    Been there done that...Took my jacket AND bunkers off...both stood upright. Capt, that was at the Barbierie's Lumber Mill fire in Housatonic (probie arson case)
    Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    One more "Crusty" tip: Keep a hairdryer on each rig during the winter. Thaws couplings, clears windows, thaws gauges, warms hands, clears ice from coat buckles, Hairdryers only draw 1,500w so they aren't a big drain on generator capacity...... Stay Safe, (and warm) Harve
    Thanks for the tip Harve

4949-Where abouts from MA ya from?
    Last edited by LeuitEFDems; 12-02-2005 at 01:18 AM. Reason: adding info
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeuitEFDems
    4949-Where abouts from MA ya from?
    I'm from Hanson. My mom is from Scituate and my dad was from South Boston.

I love it up there, and really miss it...In the summer that is!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

I'm trying to get out of here myself...Fed up with the cold weather and the "people" at OEMS...
    OK not to hijack this thread too much....
    Washing gear? I never wash my gear..I wanna get that crusty look...plus I just put my brand-spankin new plastic lid in the oven to get it nice and toasty

Soap, scrub brush and elbow grease go a long way...if it's really bad we have a contract with a local cleaners (no dry cleaning).
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Hehe Harve,it took me that long to find one of those 'lil red books.I never noticed the start date on the thread. Royboy,if ya get 'em with zippers and velcro you won't need the spanner;at least not for the coat. That's why my "buggy"stays running on the "all nighters"so I can thaw out when I get in. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeuitEFDems
    Washing gear? I never wash my gear..I wanna get that crusty look...plus I just put my brand-spankin new plastic lid in the oven to get it nice and toasty

In the oven? You did that?
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SSTONER
    In the oven? You did that?
    I'm kidding...I would NEVER do that...that was in reference to a thread some time ago about someone that actually DID put a lid in the oven to achieve the "crusty" look....

Thread Information