Forum Member

Default Hose dummy -- A good idea!

Our department recently constructed a hose dummy like that described in FH magazine. It has worked very well for us. Recommendation -- Dress it in old turnouts to protect it.

I think we'll name her "Dixie".
    Last edited by StayBack500FT; 03-17-2003 at 03:23 PM.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Forum Member

That hose dummy was a Massachusetts Fire Academy design!

The MFA has been through two of the Rescue Randy's..they may be graet for the combat challenge, but they don't hold up in the burn buildings!

The beauty of the MFA hose dummy is low cost (a few lengths of hose that you would normally throw out and a few blocks of wood and hardware), you can make them different sizes (the MFA recruit course has two adult, one child and on einfant sized hose dummy) and they take a beating and never complain!

edited for misspelling Massachusetts..I am mortified!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 03-17-2003 at 11:53 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Talking HOSE DUMMIES.... HMMMMMM

Yep, we have some, even dressed out in turnouts too. And some of them are even made with real hose.... a couple of the others can actually walk and sometimes talk too.... but we call them "Probies".

**Standing by for the beating from Pfrire.....**
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Default hehehehe......

We have "Hose Dummies" for training purposes. At one recent practice 27 was IC, and I was one of the responding FR's. My pt's were trapped in vehicle and myself and the others working with me had to decide how best to extricate and treat them.

27 repeatedly radioed me asking on the status of my pt's. Since I didn't want to get in trouble for radio abuse I waited until he came to the "scene" to give him the status report.

PT STATUS ............... My pt's are HOSED hehehehehehe.

I really had no answer for him as I had not been told beforehand what the extent of injuries were for the pt's. So I improvised.

OH AND 27 *in a sweet voice* .......... PROBIES are only as good as they are taught!!!!!!!
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Captain Gonzo -- Kudos to you Massachusetts boys!
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Forum Member

Hose dummies do work pretty good. i like them because the weight seems to be distributed more than with a rescue randy. We have had ours for probably 7 years or so. It's not made like the one that was in FH, but it still is effective.

Permanently Removed

We had a rescue randy, then he became amputie randy. SO we made a hose dummy, which is a very good was to recyucle old hose!!!!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking I'll Try it.....

We're burning a house (Yes, we schedule our fires) this coming weekend, and the dummy will get a workout. I'll let y'all know how he/she/it made out or held up. Whatever. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

The dummies, if properly made, will usually hold up. Several months ago I went to out new state fire academy, and while they were waiting to receive their "New state of the art dummies" they were using a hose dummy. These dummies went through about 18 evolutions and it didn't look any worse for the wear.

We have one at our department, also made out of out of service hose. We have also put the dummy "BOB" in a set of turn out gear. Some trainings we also fit the dummy with an old SCBA. In fact one of the trainings we used a local middle school's playground. We used the monkey bars to simulate a rescue situation that we had to (in teams of four) carry the dummy with turnout and scba over the monkey bars and around a tree and back over the monkey bars again. The dummy takes a beating in this type and you might have to retape the dummy.
    ----------------------------
    David S. Blevins

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

~Abraham Lincoln

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Dummies

And I don't mean Rookies or Probies HAHA

We have a Randy(or Fat Ba$tard as he is known)

And we have found that he's just not flexible enough
    in some areas to make him a good unconsciuos simulation.
    Anyone have the info on how to make a hose dummy??? FB
    currently resides in our training office. I think we may try
    a hose dummy. Any help is appreciated.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

I will post a pic of ours after my next shift. Ours works well with trying to "bend" him as consistant to an unconscious victim.
    ----------------------------
    David S. Blevins

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

~Abraham Lincoln

kevinr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Okay, I will be the ridiculous person to make this comment.

Most of you said you make the dummy from "Out of Service hose". Doesn't this go without saying? I mean, why would you want to make one with "In Service hose".

Anyway, we have Randy and find that it works pretty well for us. Of course, we may not have put him through some of the situations you fellows have (we don't have access to a burn building). But for what we do, he works just fine.

Permanently Removed

Most of you said you make the dummy from "Out of Service hose". Doesn't this go without saying? I mean, why would you want to make one with "In Service hose".

I think what they're trying to say, is what they do with there "out of service hose" like how they recycle it.

Forum Member

we've got "the big guy"... made from old 2 1/2 canvas hose... brass fittings... some of the oldest, heavest gear I could find... Great for watching probies carry it down the ladder on their shoulder... full gear of course... (make note, this practice will be coming up soon )

If you come across the big guy while doing a mock building search... move on and find the hose dummy made from 1 1/2 and wearing the smaller set of gear...

As for the probie vs hose dummy debate..........
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

MembersZone Subscriber

Default HOSE DUMMIES AND "FIREFIGHTERS"......

Ya 26, and I have had the "privilage" of watching the OLD GUYS (this includes YOU!!) drag the Big Guy around and up and down ladders - I also have had that distinct honour. It ain't a great haul, and I don't really "see" the "greatness" for watching Probies drag it because we all do it.

Also, why would you "leave" the Big Guy and go looking for the smaller one? Other than the Little Guy weighs in at around 150 or 160 pounds vs the 180 (plus) of the Big Guy, not to mention that due to his being made of 2-1/2" hose, he is larger and more awkward to move.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

Yeah, we have all dragged him around at one point or another. I actually enjoy dragging him around (I am pretty sure he is pushing 200 though.. or maybe it just feels like it when dressed in full PPE and SCBA).

It doesn't take long to put them together either. A few weeks ago I threw three more together in less than an hour. It never hurts to have a bunch to 'play' with.

As for watching probies do it... it is always nice to watch them do something... beats having them stand around with their hands in their pockets.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Next Step???......

Shall I presume that the pediatric dummy is made of 1in forestry hose? OK, I couldn't pass that up.... Our dummy is made from 3in DJ Synthetic with the couplings cut off (we needed them for the replacement hose) And it must have a lot of miles on it by now, but it is still in one piece. Stay safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Default Re: Next Step???......

Originally posted by hwoods
    but it is still in one piece...
    That is one problem we have had. In the dark, blind-folded, you pretty much grab onto anything that you can.. arm, leg, whatever... they sorta get all stretched out of shape.. ends up looking like five limbs, and the only way to tell the head is by what way the gear is pointing... taking them apart and fixing them usually fixes the problem... however, we always forget it is a problem until we are working with it .

I used a bunch of duct tape to hold the news together... seems to be holding up so far.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Ummm...we have been using hose dummies for years at our local tech college. We just taped them together with duct tape. They have survived many drills and being dragged up and down stairs by countless other dummies...oops, I mean trainees.

It is a very cost effective method to have a victim to rescue versus the cost of a Rescue Randy. And to be honest the durability of those Rescue randy's never seemed all that great to me. We were constantly rebuilding those darn things. We finally replaced the arms and legs with firehose.

I guess the next one I build will have to be a little more high tech than duct tape!!

Take care and stay safe,

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

Default HANDS IN POCKETS.....????

Originally posted by firefighter26
    As for watching probies do it... it is always nice to watch them do something... beats having them stand around with their hands in their pockets.
    Well Probies standing around with hands in pockets awaiting further instruction/demonstration is better than watching a Firefigther sulking in the background because he didn't want to "do that" during a regular practice.

Thread Information