Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default ......and this time I'm naming names....so you better be ready!!!

This thread is closely related to the other one I have going right now. While we are building the model firefighter on one of my other threads...why don't we name those FF's that have made us who WE are. This post is dedicated to those firefighters that have taught us, trained us worked with us...and by example...shown us the way.

Mine?? Mr. James Thompson, Pine Twp. Engine Co., Mercer Co.,PA
    In my humble opinion, the best instructor in the business.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Mine is Capt. Jeff Pate, Madison Tp Fire.

He was my training officer and he instilled my need for more
    knowledge in the fire service.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Default Ah, the good ole days!

Mine was Dale Moore. He was a cigar chomping, ex-chief for Monmouth, IL Fire Department who taught for the Illinois Fire Service Institute many years ago. He wore a dirty old white helmet, a long turnout coat and hip boots. He was one of the smartest men that I ever knew. But he had terrible taste in cigars.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

My Father (and my friend), 29 years New Zealand Police, a man with absolute integrity and honour.

It has been a priveledge to share my life with him, and learn from one of the best.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Mine is my dad...he is a retired chief who had 38 years in the service. I can only dream to someday have the knowledge and skill he has.
    "Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant"

Default Naming Names

To start, Chief Jack McElfish, has shown me many things as a man, mentor and fire officer. Chief McElfish was instrumental in getting me involved in the fire service as a career.

Mr. Don Manno, God rest his soul, was also very helpful and inspirational in my career and life.

All of the men from the Silver Spring FD, Silver Spring, MD and in particular those men who were assigned to Company 19, during the late 70's and early 80's. They knew their jobs, did them without complaint, day in and day out and every now and then found time to teach this snot nose kid about the way it was supposed to be done as well as molding me into a man. I will never forget them and what they have done for me. Many are now the Deputy Chiefs, Divisional Officers etc. in Montgomery County Department of Fire and Rescue Services.

Thank you one and all.

hmmmmmmmmmmm interesting thread I have a few
    1)My dad for all the things he taught me and had patientce, and for all the firehouses we used to visit after church on Sundays.
    2) Johnny and Roy ? TV or not those guys just did a great job and were quite an inspiration.
    3) Tony Jackson ..........he was the Chief who appointed me to my first officer position, was very patient with me and was also on the dept when I was in Jr HS to see what classes I should begin to take to become a FF/Paramedic. He had 30 years on.
    4) ALL the people who over my 16 year career took time to show me something to make myself better.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Wow, great thread, makes you stop and think "back in the day"

I have many who have helped me out over the years but I can name a few that have stuck out just a bit over the rest.

*Arnold Johnson, Former Chief of Altoona Fire Dept. and instructor for like 30 some years for the local Technical College. He has forgot more than I will ever know about fire.

*Kim Nessel, Battalion Chief Eau Claire Fire Dept. and instructor for the Tech. College. Lots of classes and live burns.

*Bob Wagner, Former Fire Chief Altoona Fire Dept. Taught me never to talk back, always keep your head down, like what you do and do what you like, and no matter what happens, always keep the coffee pot full at all times.

*Merle Gillette, Founding Instructor and Fire Service Coordinator for the Tech. College when the fire service program was a baby in this area(in the late 1950's I believe). Founding member of the Township Fire Dept(in the early 1960's), former Chief of Altoona, and instructor for the Tech. College for almost 40 years. This man is a living legend.

There is not an existing firefighter, full time or part time, in Western Wisconsin that hasn't had one or more of these guys for a class at least once in their career. These men walk on water as far as I'm concerned. I have learned so much from these guys that was not in any text book. You know what I mean, the little "tricks of the trade" type of things that just come from experience and the "old school" of thinking. It has been a priveledge to learn from the best in the business and now maybe I can relay that information to newbies I run into. Thank you very much guys!

Keep your head down and your powder dry.

I know this is a bit self-indulgent, but here is a short list of guys I am indebted to for bringing me into this great American Fire Service.

1. Dad (as mentioned before) My father has been Fire Chief in 4 different cities and firefighter in just about as many others. He is currently retired and selling fire apparatus. He has been in the Fire Service since 1964 and has probably forgotten more than I will ever learn.

2. Cpt. Gary Darrah, one of my original mentors in my very first fire department. This man was totally fearless in my probationary eyes, at the time. I fought my first house fire with this guy and would have followed him to the gates of hell.

3. Cpt. Merv Kahumoku, a close associate of Mr. Darrah. Everything I said about Mr. Darrah applies here, but he also taught me the values of patience and mentoring. He is another guy I would and did follow to hell and back.

4. Jim Nichols, How can anyone who served in the fire service in Texas not mention this man. He was probably the crustiest, crusty I have ever met in my life. When he entered the room, it instantly filled with the smell of a busy fire station. With his influence, he shaped the operations and training of literally thousands of firefighters in Texas and around the world. He was also my Dad's best friend. Sad to say he passed away last year. Hopefully he tucked his shirt-tail in before he met St. Peter. A different shirt-tail always seemed to be untucked every time you saw the man.

There are others, but these guys here really stand out for me.
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

My Grandfather, James B. Ray who started taking me to the fire station when I was 2 years old to see and climb on the fire engines.

My Chief in college who got me into the fire service, Chief David Green of the Sewanee Volunteer Fire Department.

Outstanding individuals!

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Good thread, makes you reflect.

After a bunch of soul searching I have to say;

My father for teaching me to be a life long learner.

Billy Goldfeder for teaching me to be smart about what I do.

Leo Stapelton for telling me when I started out; "Don't worry about the other guys, Just do better than everyone else, don't worry, the right people will notice and you will gain the respect of everyone except for those that can't do anything but get jealous".

Larry
    Susquehanna FOOLS

Forum Member

Mine is my dad also. He let me find the profession on my own. When I took it up he was there with all his 30+ years of experience; all I have to do is ask. What I love the most is the pride in his eyes when he says "atta boy."
    I.A.C.O.J.

SOME ARE FIREMEN
    OTHERS ARE JUST ON
    THE FIRE DEPARTMENT

While there have been many people that have influenced me in the fire service, there is one person that stands out above the rest. That person would be my father. If it were not for him, then i would never would have had any interest in the fire service at all. Although he never made chief because of political reasons, he has many many years experience behind him. He has always been there when i need him.
    Remember 9-11-01
    FDNY, NYPD, PAPD, NYPH
    Keith Fairben, FPFD LT, Paramedic NYPH, most of all, friend. You will not be forgotten brother.

"Firemen are going to be killed right along. They know it, every man of them, firefighting is a hazardous occupation; it is dangerous on the face of it, tackling a burning building. The risks are plain. Consequently, when a man becomes a fireman, his act of bravery has already been accomplished."
    -- New York Fire Department Chief Edward F. Croker. 1908

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

A big thank you to Captain John Walka, Rural/Metro Fire Department in Tucson, Arizona.

You're the best Captain!

(Since I'm no longer assigned to you I can say that, right?)

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

My uncle, Capt. Joe Thalmann,(Ret) Providence Fire Dept. who fostered my love and passion of my chosen profession from a very young age. He used to bring to his firehouse all the time and later when I got into gave me the words of wisdom to survive!!!
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber jsdobson's Avatar

Ken Jones from the Office of the Fire Marshall in Ontario, Canada has had the greatest impact on my career as a firefighter and as an instructor.
    BE SAFE
    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

#1 My Father (passed away 082699)I miss you dad and always will

Captain Bill Spalding - Retired Fairfax County (Va)
    Battalion Chief Sonny Flynn - Retired Fairfax County
    Battalion Chief Scott Davis - Prince William County Fire (Va)
    Battalion Chief Hadden Culp - Prince William County Fire
    Captain Ernie Little - Prince William County Fire
    Lt. Ed Rahl - Retired Prince William County Fire
    Lt. David McIntosh Retired Prince William County Fire
    Dan F. Hibbs Deceased 1988 Warrenton Fire Dept, Virginia
    Chief Barry Baker Ormond Beach Fire Dept (Fla)
    Chuck "Rufus" Thompson OEM Stafford County Emergency Services (VA)
    Bert Roby, Area Supervisor, Virginia Department of Fire Programs
    Chief Jim Mastin, Livinston Montanna (retired Prince William County)
    Chief Ricky Arrington, OWL VFD, Virginia
    Chief William Spicer, OWL VFD, Virginia (Retired)
    Chief Richard Bird, Gainesville District Vol Fire Dept. (Virginia)
    Chief Tom Owens Fairfax City Fire and Rescue (Va)
    Chief Alan Brunacini

The list may seem long, but all of these have contributed to my career and successes.
    Last edited by captstanm1; 03-21-2003 at 01:48 PM.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Good thread.

1st would be my dad who as a child took me to the firehall with him when there was a call. Now that he is older and cannot fight fire he still fights the mutts for firefighter benifit and rights.

2nd would have to be my 2 uncles Dutch Aulerich and Bob Aulerich. dutch was the fire chief then active until diabetes put him a assisted living home. My Uncle Bob was disabled while in the military. When returned home he had to walk with crutches the rest of his life this didn't slow his love for the fire service and would still respond to the hall and drive the trucks. He also was a dispatcher for Rainbow Control which was the dispatch center around here before 911.

3rd would be my mom who is also a firefighter. She completed essentials at the age of 57. drives the smaller equiptment and leads the dept. in training hours. She has slowed alittle the last couple months and does more firepolice work mow but still is within the top 10 in amount of calls a year.

MembersZone Subscriber

Mine? Well would have to be Chief Bill Bell-Bathgate of Wetaskiwin Alberta Canada fire dept. (Known as B3) Taught every guy the meaning of dedication, duty and selflessnes. Gone now to be with God, but I guarantee theres smoke detectors on every cloud in heaven

MembersZone Subscriber

Definently my brother Mark, he first convinced me to follow the path that he blazed into the fire service, and then he arranged for me to be assigned to his engine company to make sure that I was taught how to do it right. The only thing he never taught me was how to cope with the grief of losing him after he LODD'd in 1990. It was nearly seven years before I climbed back on a rig and went to a call.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Thread Information