Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Maximum Work Hours

My department wants to set a limit on the number of consecutive hours that firefighters may work before time off. They believe it is a safety issue. Does anybody know of any such policies currently in use?

We work a 3 shift system, 24/48. For overtime/trade purposes, we are only aloud to work 48 hours in a 72 hour shift. So lets say you work a 3 hour trade the day before your shift, and you are up for a 24 hour overtime the day after your shift, you are now inelligible for that OT.

48 hours is a long time, and I definatly feel tired at the end of that.

Forum Member

My dept works a 10hr(day) on, 14 hr off, 10hr(day)on, 24hr off, 14hr (nite)on, 10hr off,and 14hr(nite) on cycle followed by 96 hrs off. We are allowed to work a maximum of 16 hours on a shift (so only a further 2hrs added to a nite shift). We must also have a minimum of 8hrs off between shifts.

MembersZone Subscriber Engine5FF's Avatar

On our 24/72 shift we may not work more than 36 concecutive hours without a 12 hour break accept in emergency call backs.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

We also work 24/48 and have a 48 hr. rule in our contract.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

For those working the 10/14 schedule, are you aloud to sleep on your night shifts?

Forum Member

ffspo0k, We are allowed to sleep (termed "recline") from 2200 to 0600 on the night shifts. Mind you, actual sleep is usually a lot less than that

When I worked on the EMS side of DC Fire (2-2-4), they kept the continuous hours to 18.

In Fairfax Fire, the max hours is 36 continuous.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

We work a good shift. 4- 24 hour shifts then 4 days off, 4- 24 hour shifts then 6 days off.
    I do not know of any rule in our department. I've worked 72's before.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

MembersZone Subscriber

Our contract states that wee can not work more than 38 hours in a row. Our schedule is DDDOOONNNOOO, 10 hour days, 14 hour nights. That means thae we can not work more than a night, day, night in a row, without at least 10 hours off, which would be a day. Our ot is based on the system that we catch ot on our 3 days off, so the 38 hour rule is almost a non-factor. It is nearly unheard of to be offered an ot in between your regular day or night shift, as in like working your night, then catching a day in between your next night. It has to be offered to 2 other shifts before it would even get to you, and they are just as hungry as you are for ot.
    Leroy140 (yes, THAT Leroy)
    Fairfield, CT, Local 1426
    IACOJ Tillerman

Up here in my department we work 4 on(2days/2nights) 10hr day & 14 hr night. Then we are off for 2 days...then 4 on(2days/2nights) Then we have 6 days off.

Cheers

MembersZone Subscriber

We run a 24/48 shift and have a recomendation that you can only work 48 hours at a time. The reason I say its just a recomendation is sometimes when it suits certain white shirts. I myself have worked a 72 hour shift before which wasnt all bad but in that week I worked a 48 off 24 then did the 72. Needless to say I was ready to go sleep in my own bed for a change after that.

We can work a maximum of 60 hours in a row. After that, you must go off duty fot a minimum of 5 hours. The limit is rarely reached, and usualy in an extreme situation such as a natural dissaster or power outage or things of that type.
    Last edited by Hobbitt; 12-19-2003 at 12:29 PM.
    Marc S.
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Solon Local 2079

I am not sure if there is a law or anything and if there is we are at fault. I no longer work at this place but I use to do straight 48's and even more and OMG talk about die. I swore I would never work anymore then a 24, for the safety of myself and my patients! Where I am now we only work 12's and I love it. Must I mention that 48 was over labor day weekend and in the area where we have the biggest ORV area in the world! So it was hell! Anyway 12's are it for me.

Forum Member

We work 24/48, and have no limit. It's theoretically possible to work all day every day. We used to be staffed right down to our Minimum Staffing number, and it was nothing for us to get a phone call every day saying, "We have 24 hours available at Stations 1,3 and 4. Where do you want to go?" They used to go through the OT list a couple of times, begging people to take it. Now we're better staffed, but the Minimum Staffing number never changed. OT is rare these days.
    E-4-A
    IAFF 1176

Originally posted by Engine5FF
    On our 24/72 shift we may not work more than 36 concecutive hours without a 12 hour break accept in emergency call backs.
    Same here also, and we have an 8 hour break instead of 12 hour
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

Hey New guy here, We work 24 on 24 off 24 on 24 off 24 on 96 off. We are allowed to work 72. Then we must take 24 off. This policy is pretty new to us. It came about when guys were working several days at a time. Rumor has it a guy once worked 37 days in a row.

37 days in a row.. thats pretty safe..

Ditto on the 24/48 with 48 max on and a minimum of 24 off.
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

Forum Member

Ours is 48 in a row -4 shifts no more than 96hours 8 shifts per work week

Thread Information