Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    kevinr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Fire Truck vs. Semi

First I am grateful that there were only minor injuries to the truck driver. But I really want to know what caused this? Does anyone have additional information.

Ohio Engine hit by SemiTruck

MembersZone Subscriber

I hope that opens the eyes of guys who don't use their rig as a shield on the freeway.
    Protection of the crew is a must on any roadway. If it was't for that rig we would probably be reading another LODD

Beavercreek, good job protecting you men, and sorry about your rig.

MembersZone Subscriber

A department close to us had a pumper hit by a semi. The department was responding to a brush fire, when they reached the fire they pulled over to the side of the road as there was no access to the field it was in. They still had their red lights flashing at the time, before any firefighters could get out a semi hit them from behind pushing the pumper and its crew into the ditch and destroyed the truck. Most of the firefighters escaped with minor injuries but one had to be hospitalized for quite a while with broken bones, punctured lung, etc. to this day I still haven't really heard if the driver of the semi was found to be at fault, but I would hope he was.

Protect the scene by parking your engine or truck at a 45 degree angle.

It looks like that rig saved their lifes.

were they parked and got struck ? the link really doesnt say ,again this is why we should "bogart" the E-Way unitl we are through ............Thank goodness no one was injured severly
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

We had an incident quite awhile ago, only the fire truck hit the semi.
    A man from the dealer was delivering it to us, and fell asleep i beleive, rearending a parked semi, and roled the fire app. into a ditch. the only thing they salvaged from it was a rear compartment door.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Exclamation HOLY SHEEP DOO DOO BATMAN

And ya I echo the main sentiment here... no injuries to personnel is a good day at the Station.

Too bad about the Apparatus, but a truck can always be fixed/replaced.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Originally posted by Kvfcjr
    A man from the dealer was delivering it to us, and fell asleep i beleive, rearending a parked semi, and roled the fire app. into a ditch. the only thing they salvaged from it was a rear compartment door.
    Hmm. Ooops. "Yea, cheif, this is Dealer X. We had a little problem with that $250,000 truck you just bought from us."
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

well, it was only like 100,00 somthing, this was back in the 70's or early 80's i think

Forum Member

A couple of years ago I was touring a manufacturer's plant. (We had taken our aerial in for an upgrade)

In the back part of the lot with the trade-in vehicles was a brand new type 6 that had the engine compartment and cab pretty well burned out.

It seems that the dealer was delivering the engine and was almost to the departments station when the new engine caught fire. The department that was buying the engine responded to the call.

The good news is that our new engine is here. The bad news is that it won't be put in service immediately. The manufacturer replaced the engine and was keeping the burned engine until the insurance company figured out if the fire was caused by a defect by the chassis manufacturer or if it was caused by the apparatus manufacturer.

Stay Safe

Look at the last picture to the tractor trailers resting place.Must have been moving right along to cross 6 lanes ,a median,and the ditch line.T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber SIGNAL99COM's Avatar

Default Pulled Over

Their apparatus was pulled to the shoulder of the road assisting a stranded motorist when the semi collided with their apparatus. None of the firefighters were in the truck when it was struck.

Looking at their website, it looks as if this is a reserve engine which was replaced last year with a quint.

http://www.beavercreekfire.org/bfdexpenses.html

http://www.beavercreekfire.org/bfdstation4.html
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

Thread Information