Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Who is training for CPAT or Challenge?

What are ya'll doing to get ready? I been doing lots of bleacher and road work, and powerlifts. I figure here in about a month I'll throw in some plyo stuff and work on explosive movements, powering up the stairs, and start getting into event-specific training pretty heavy. I've been working on the stepmill event for the CPAT, which is MUCH slower than I would climb them, 60 steps a minute. Got my guitar metronome, tick tock tick tock for the rhythm. But I haven't found a stairway around here that I can step for 250-some steps without having to turn and head down...

Does anyone have a homemade vest for the CPAT? I just got a backpack with a bunch of rolled pennies, pretty bulky. I need to get like a fishing vest or something with pockets all over, so the weight is more even.

How 'bout a trainer for the ceiling breach? I read through the guide, and the way it describes the homemade version, with a handle tied to a weight, it sounds like when you thrust up with the handle, up comes the weight you know where...haven't tried it though
    ...if you put the handline in the right spot, you won't have to jump out the window...
    -Andy "Nozzles", SQ18, 9-11-01

Forum Member

Default Weight Vest

Forum Member

Thumbs up

i'm training for the CPAT also.. i have been going to the gym for awhile now doing specific exercises to help. i am building up my cardio right now because i am a little bit behind where i want to be, but i still have a couple of months. i haven't really had a chance to do stairs other than the ones at my house, but that is more up down up down up down... good luck with your training though!

MembersZone Subscriber

It's awesome how much you guys are training for the CPAT. However, you will probably be sorely dissapointed in how easy the test is. I never trained with a weight vest, lifted weights 3 times a week and ran twice a week and I passed with 2 minutes to spare. If you have access to a stairmill, that will help. They are slightly awkward. Although the 60 steps a minute may feel slow, after 3 minutes with 75 pounds on your back, trust me, you will feel it. After that, it is really downhill from there.

The guys that passed seemed to keep the same pace after the stair climb. The guys that failed were very slow after the stair mill. It might be because they were out of shape, who knows. The point is, after the stairmill, regroup. Pick up that nozzle with authority and sprint your *** off. If you let the stair mill kick your ***, you are toast.

Also, practicing dragging a dummy can help. That is the stage where most people failed (they were toast before they even got there, the dummy just put the nail in the coffin). I've passed the CPAT three times, so if you want any practical advice on it, send me a message.

Eric

I won't dispute that it is easy. Or would be if you were in any kind of shape at all. I had about two weeks to train for the last one I took after having not worked out for prolly 6 mos. I still think the stairmill is slower than what I would like to walk; that's by design though I'm sure, as the slower pace burns those quads more. I could pass it with 2 mins. to spare too. I want to pass it with 4.
    ...if you put the handline in the right spot, you won't have to jump out the window...

Forum Member

Default More than

Agility, physical ability, CPAT, Biddle or what ever you want to call it:

Often, candidates don't realize that it's not just strength in the physical agility. The "Nugget " is technique, momentum and grip. If you are uncertain or having problems in the physical, take advantage of any college or academy programs to learn the techniques to practice pulling hose, throwing a latter, dragging a dummy (not you), etc. Many departments offer practice sessions for their physical test prior to the actual date of testing. Don't pass up this opportunity.

In those areas of concern, work with a trainer at a gym in those fields of motion that would improve your ability. Often fire training divisions know the exercises that would apply to those areas. When ice skaters were trying to break the record for a triple lux, they found by working on upper body strength was the secret. A good way to train is with a weighted vest. You can learn more from
    www.WeightVest.com for training for Physical agility

Check in with your local area department and arrange to go by for a little coaching. What firefighter wouldn't want to puff out their chest showing his or her special techniques that got them their job or help on the fire ground. One of our candidates was losing sleep over the uncertainty of not being able to throw a ladder. These fears were put to rest after visiting a local fire department that showed the needed technique.

With ladder throws, it's gaining momentum and a continuous movement from beginning to end of the throw, using a pivot point and the weight of the latter to your advantage. Dragging hose or a dummy is starting with a thrust to start up the momentum, taking shorted steps, keeping a low forward center of gravity, using your own weight to add in keeping up the momentum during the pull.

Walking a ladder is using a pivot point and the weight of the ladder to your advantage. When raising the fly, pull the rope in short hand over hand movements in front of your face not much higher than your head. On each grip of the rope, turn your fist palm down to improve your grip. Keep one foot planted at the spur (bottom one side or the other) the other foot back for balance. Slightly tilt the ladder towards the wall for balance as you raise it.

The dummy from my firefighter Son Rob's department disappeared from the training center. Two days later a 911 call came in from a pay phone asking for help. When units arrived at the scene, here was the dummy standing up in the phone booth with the phone receiver to his ear. Case closed.

Many candidates feel if they set some kind of a record it will help in hiring. Not true! It is pass or fail. As mentioned above, the secret "Nugget" here is to pace yourself. You don't have to break the record. If you would have no problem in passing the physical, then, why would you want to try and impress the training staff, the other candidates and tout you set a new record? In your haste, you injure yourself or fall down the stairs in the tower . . . and, you don't even pass. Now, you not only didn't pass the PT, you're out of the hiring process. How would you feel McFly?

This testimony just in from one of our candidates:

Hi Captain Bob - Passed the physical - Thanks God. My first shift was two days ago. Going good so far. Thanks for the Entry Level Program and the great books - they helped a lot. - Andi

Check out more on getting hired in the Career Article Section of Firehouse.com by clicking here:

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/sec...sp?sectionId=8

Absolutely nothing counts 'til you have the badge. Nothing!

"Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

As usual, Captain Bob has a lot of great tips. I really like the one about pacing yourself. Remember, no one really cares whether you got 9:30 on the CPAT or 7:00. As long as you are under 10:20, that's all that matters.

Eric

Oh I realize it is "pass or fail". But if times didn't matter AT ALL then they would just have a timer set for 10:20. If you finished before the buzzer, fine. If not, become a cop. I agree with the pacing, gettin' in that rhythm...

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like your on the right track. I took the CPAT last October and it is a real butt kicker if you don't train, and train properly. Legs, legs, and more legs. If you can get off the stairs w/ energy still left in your legs, then you will have no problems w/finishing under the time. If your on a dept. that has an extra airpack w/ a 1hr bottle, then that works great and is close in weight to vests. Good Luck.

Thread Information