Question Soon to be FF needs Pre-college help

I am starting school very soon for Fire and Rescue Science Technology and i was just wondering if you all could give me some advice? I am mostly wondering what's the one thing you had in school that did'nt seem "that" important while you was learning it but wish now that you would have studied and pay more attention to?I realize that it is ALL very important to learn but i am just wondering if there is anything that you wish you have taken more time with?I hope everyone uderstands this question but i dont know how else to put it Any other info you can give me will be helpful.thanks in advance for all your info and knowledge.

Forum Member

I am currently in schooling and am about two classes away from completeing my Fire Fighter one Certifcation. Time and time again people said one of the most important things to study is Patient assessment.

Forum Member

1. Construction of buildings is important. So pay attention to physics (as in load bearing) and load transfer, even to shop classes.

2. If you have any electives, choose spanish. You want to be able to communicate with paniced native speakers, and they are the second largest language group in this country.

MembersZone Subscriber

Grammar, writing, and public speaking. I am in college and wish I had more of this in junior high and high school. A lot of this job is about getting the message effectively across.

Good luck!
    Stay Safe! Truckman38 Firefighter/EMT
    Proud member IACOJ
    *Never go anywhere without SCBA, a tool and a plan!
    *Never forget our fallen!

Forum Member

I would agree with the gentleman from the SW, especially on the second point...

Originally posted by Sleuth
    1. Construction of buildings is important. So pay attention to physics (as in load bearing) and load transfer, even to shop classes.

2. If you have any electives, choose spanish. You want to be able to communicate with paniced native speakers, and they are the second largest language group in this country.

Forum Member

Default Presentation Skills

You could have all the education and experience available, but if you canít present your package at an oral board, you will never, ever see a badge. Thatís because 100% of your score to get hired is in the oral board (the written and physical are pass/fail). The secret in getting hired is placing high enough on an oral board to get a shot at that badge.

For more on the inside secrets to make this happen, check out the Career Articles on the firehouse web site by clicking here:

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/sec...sp?sectionId=8

This is what Iím talking about:

My name is Jeff, and this fall it will be 10 years since I first started testing. In 96 I went to the Academy and really took testing seriously after that. I had been able to get to several chiefís boards, but no badge. I tested last fall for a large joint test and did ok but wasn't on top. My wife had a friend whom was a firefighter for several years in the area who was helping two of his friends from out of state during the testing process. They did better than me and the next thing I know they both were offered jobs. Shortly after that I met them and was told about your Entry Level Program. One of them even met someone in his academy who was there because of your help. I got the program and was temped to jump from my moving truck when I listened to them the first time. I was a big time clone. I thought back to my first oral board and how I said everything wrong. Once I started using the tape recorder to practice as you suggested, things started to change. Mono tone was an understatement. I was now determined to learn the ways of Captain Bob. The first oral after that was easy, but my skills were not perfected. The second oral sent the ball rolling, fast. The process for this department started in early Feb., And on Friday March 12th at 2:30 p.m. I was offered the job conditional on the medical. I start April 1st. With out your help I would still be taking tests. My life is where I want it to be and I thank you for it. I have and will tell everyone serious about this profession about you. You have helped my dreams come true. I will never be able to thank you enough.

Forever grateful, Firefighter Jeff

ďNothing counts Ďtil you have the badge . . . Nothing!Ē

ďCaptain BobĒ

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

All the education and experience in the world is useless if you can't effectively communicate your ideas to others. You probably have some required courses in your curriculum designed to improve your writing and speaking skills. If these aren't enough, take more as electives. You need to make an honest self-assessment here. Just because you make an A in a class doesn't mean your writing is up to par - many instructors grade on content only.

On a related note, there will be many firefighters who will tell you that your college education is worthless, that only experience and common sense count in this business. Don't believe it. Experience, common sense, and education will always beat out experience and common sense alone.

Good luck in your education and career.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Looking back, I got the most out of my Strategy and Tactics, Chemistry of Haz-Mats, Transportation of Haz-Mats, psychology and abnormal psychology, Building Construction (thanks to the Brannigan book), and any criminal justice and Poli Sci courses I took. Basically, classes that made me "think outside the box". I wish I would've had more math -- I had 3 stats classes in 7 years of education (Associates through Masters). And a foreign language might have been interesting, but after 6 years of Latin, I wasn't into foreign language!

Good luck.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Thumbs up

I would like to thank everyone that has replied to my question.I have heard others talk about a very few of these but you all have really made me think about the other classes i had never thought about.I am sure all of your info and wisdom will help out alot in my soon to be future in the Fire and Rescue field.Once again i thank everyone that has replied.

Forum Member

Default Really

With all that has been said, how about adding this:

Lucky Joe?

Joe got one of our flyers when he picked up an application for the San Francisco Fire Department test. He had seen the ad for the test in the paper. Although he was not a kid, he thought he would give it a shot. No background, formal education or experience related to the fire service.

It didnít take long after Joe contacted us to figure out that he was as dumb as a truck full of rocks.

We suggested a book he could get to help him prepare for the written. Every time he called me he also called my firefighter son Rob and left a message asking, if I buy this book, does it have all the answers for the San Francisco test in it? There were many, many calls. We answered all.

Of the 4100 who took the San Francisco written, guess who passed? Joe passed the SFFD written.

The oral was next. Rob dreaded the doing the coaching session. It normally takes about an hour to do a coaching session. It was a looooong session.

Guess who was one of the 609 who passed the San Francisco. Yep, Joe.

Joe doesnít know about you. He doesnít know about your degrees, certificates, education, and experience.

Next was the physical agility. Joe was in great shape. He wanted to know how to prepare. I told him to go to the Physical Agility section of the FREE ď101 Inside Secrets to Get a Badge on our web site. Joe left a message the next day, Captain Bob I canít find that book you told me about on preparing for the physical. Another call to Joe that itís FREE on the web site.

Even though Joe is not the sharpest knife in the drawer he did something you probably arenít. He said, "Captain Bob I don't know anything about this process, just tell what I need to do. And, he listened! He listened to what he needed to do. Joe followed the simple formula: Get the program. Work it. Use a tape recorder to practice. Get coaching. Badge!

Guess who graduated from the 108th fire academy last month in San Francisco? Thatís right Joe. He walked right in off the street and took away your badge.

I told this to a medic testing for 4 years in the Denver area last week and he said, ďCaptain Bob thatís not funny.Ē I know it's not. But Joe is now wearing the badge that many aspire to wear.

Luck is given to the prepared.

What are you willing to do to get a badge? Call Joe and he will tell you how he did it.

Absolutely nothing counts 'til you have the badge. Nothing!

"Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com
    Last edited by CaptBob; 03-22-2003 at 01:44 AM.

Forum Member

Default Re: Really

Originally posted by CaptBob
    With all that has been said, how about adding this:

Lucky Joe?

Joe got one of our flyers when he picked up an application for the San Francisco Fire Department test. He had seen the ad for the test in the paper. Although he was not a kid, he thought he would give it a shot. No background, formal education or experience related to the fire service.

It didnít take long after Joe contacted us to figure out that he was as dumb as a truck full of rocks.

We suggested a book he could get to help him prepare for the written. Every time he called me he also called my firefighter son Rob and left a message asking, if I buy this book, does it have all the answers for the San Francisco test in it? There were many, many calls. We answered all.

Of the 4100 who took the San Francisco written, guess who passed? Joe passed the SFFD written.

The oral was next. Rob dreaded the doing the coaching session. It normally takes about an hour to do a coaching session. It was a looooong session.

Guess who was one of the 609 who passed the San Francisco. Yep, Joe.

Joe doesnít know about you. He doesnít know about your degrees, certificates, education, and experience.

Next was the physical agility. Joe was in great shape. He wanted to know how to prepare. I told him to go to the Physical Agility section of the FREE ď101 Inside Secrets to Get a Badge on our web site. Joe left a message the next day, Captain Bob I canít find that book you told me about on preparing for the physical. Another call to Joe that itís FREE on the web site.

Even though Joe is not the sharpest knife in the drawer he did something you probably arenít. He said, "Captain Bob I don't know anything about this process, just tell what I need to do. And, he listened! He listened to what he needed to do. Joe followed the simple formula: Get the program. Work it. Use a tape recorder to practice. Get coaching. Badge!

Guess who graduated from the 108th fire academy last month in San Francisco? Thatís right Joe. He walked right in off the street and took away your badge.

I told this to a medic testing for 4 years in the Denver area last week and he said, ďCaptain Bob thatís not funny.Ē I know it's not. But Joe is now wearing the badge that many aspire to wear.

Luck is given to the prepared.

What are you willing to do to get a badge? Call Joe and he will tell you how he did it.

Absolutely nothing counts 'til you have the badge. Nothing!

"Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com
    Capt. Bob,

What dept. do you work for and what station?

Forum Member

Default Neighbors?

We're neighbors. I live in Pleasanton. Here's more:

Fire "Captain Bob" Smith has coached countless entry-level and promotional candidates to get their badge. Over 2,000 candidates have received their badges from his program. He is a retired, 28-year veteran firefighter from Hayward, Calif. Captain Bob is a recognized expert on job interviews, speaker author of the CD/video program "Conquer the Job Interview" and the books "Eat Stress For Breakfast" and "Fire Up Your Communication Skills" which have been translated in 21 countries including South Korea, Latin America and China. He is a member of the prestigious National Speakers Association. You can book him as a speaker or get a copy of his books and tapes by calling toll free at 888-238-3959. E-mail: captbob@eatstress.com Web site: www.eatstress.com

For more check out my career articles on www.firehouse.com web site by clicking here:

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/sec...sp?sectionId=8
    Last edited by CaptBob; 03-22-2003 at 07:36 AM.

Thread Information