Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nfpa & Scba

Arrow Nfpa & Scba

Is there an NFPA standard that advises how many SCBAs are to be on various types of fire apparatus -- Specifically a Rescue Truck & a Tanker? TIA for any help.

Forum Member

The ISO requires 4 scba on a class A pumper. You may contact them for scoring sheetsfor the other vehicles.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The NFPA Fire Protection Handbook (currently 18th Edition I believe) has the breakdowns if there are any. Somewhere in those 1500 some odd pages should cover it. It should be along the lines of 4 per Class A pumper as stfloran81 said that ISO requires. On most stuff ISO and NFPA aren't too far apart.

Smile I think I found an answer

I have heard from a chief who let me know according to NFPA, 2 SCBAs are recommended for a Tanker and 6 SCBAs are recommended for a Rescue Truck.

Default Correction to previous post

After finally tracking down the right person at NFPA, they state that the standard to look at is 1901. Generally, they recommend 1 SCBA per assigned seating position. This is a minimum.

My understanding was that the rules were based on the available seating in the rig, i.e., a minimum of one pack and spare bottle per seat. For example, our engines seat a maximum of 6 personnel, 1 driver, 1 Officer, and 4 Jumpseat. So, we needed a minimum of 6 packs, and 6 spare bottles somewhere on the engine, in order to be NFPA compliant.

The code that deals with this information is NFPA 1901, Chapter 3, section 8.2.

hope this helps you out.

Chops-15

MembersZone Subscriber

Just curious if anyone has any prices on 45 min SCBA's with carbon cylinders, spare cylinders, itergrated PASS and the new HUD.

We priced Scotts and they were around 3100.00

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Horse, that sounds cheap, unless that didn't include the bottle. What all did the price include?
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually, I take that back. Spare cylinders were not included in that price.

45 min SCBA (carbon cylinder)
    Intergrated PASS
    Head's Up Display
    Optional RIT buddy pack
    The above came to 3207.00

Spare Cylinder was 790.00
    Additoinal Face Mask 195.00
    Respirator Attachment 25.00

Sorry for the mix up before

MembersZone Subscriber

I was just looking over my application before i hit the submit button and a question came up

Under Firefighting equipment.....for a compressor

It asks....

Will bring the department into statutory compliance. Please explain how this equipment will bring the department into statutory compliance in the space provided to the right.

.............What would you put for this................

Todd

FH Mag/.com Contributor

A compressor has nothing to do with compliance that I've ever seen. I find that kinda strange that you need SCBA to be compliant, but no mention of how to fill them. If you're buying packs then answer yes if it's a purchase to fully equip the entire department. Not everything in the project has to be directly related to bringing you into compliance, just the bulk. If you were buying the compressor by itself, then the answer would be no. Since the compressor in your case is related to the pack you're buying, then I'd answer yes.

Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar

Originally posted by toddmcbr
    I was just looking over my application before i hit the submit button and a question came up

Under Firefighting equipment.....for a compressor

It asks....

Will bring the department into statutory compliance. Please explain how this equipment will bring the department into statutory compliance in the space provided to the right.

.............What would you put for this................

Todd
    Check OSHA regulations on breathable air. The requirements for supplied air, including that used in SCBA, is that it must meet Grade D or better on a federal grading system. If it is run from a compressor, there must be safeguards against CO. If it is "manufactured air" (a lab combines 21% O2 and 79% N2), then there must be safety checks to ensure the balance of O2 is correct. You can reference 29 CFR 1910.134, which I believe is the OSHA guideline for respirator usage.

One suggestion: emphasize (if it is true) how few FDs in your area have compressors and how many could benefit from sharing your compressor and cascade system

If you need more info, email and I'll see if I can help.

jonathan_bastian@bullard.com
    Last edited by firemanjb; 04-11-2003 at 08:55 AM.

Thread Information