+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default working for FDNY

Is it hard to become a FDNY firefighter

No

Default Re: working for FDNY

Originally posted by hellsenemy
    Is it hard to become a FDNY firefighter
    There are probably a lot more people testing to get in there but other than that I doubt there standards wouldnt be any higher than say San Fransisco Fire or L.A.

It depends on what your definition of "hard" is. If getting a 100% on the written twice, passing all parts of the physical twice, having the psyche go perfectly fine twice, and then waiting for a phone call twice, and never receiving that phone call twice is not hard, then no (this is not my personal experience, but that of two others).

Stay Safe

Go to www.FDNY.org then got to Jobs@ you will find everything you need to know about becoming FDNY.
    Remember 9-11-01
    FDNY, NYPD, PAPD, NYPH
    Keith Fairben, FPFD LT, Paramedic NYPH, most of all, friend. You will not be forgotten brother.

"Firemen are going to be killed right along. They know it, every man of them, firefighting is a hazardous occupation; it is dangerous on the face of it, tackling a burning building. The risks are plain. Consequently, when a man becomes a fireman, his act of bravery has already been accomplished."
    -- New York Fire Department Chief Edward F. Croker. 1908

MembersZone Subscriber

Hellsenemy,
    I see you are from CA. There is a guy in the Academy from CA so it can be done. But it takes heart, determination, desire and a positive attitude. Just as NHPFD said go to www.fdny.org .

FTM-PTB

Originally posted by E229Lt
    No
    I'd have to agree

Originally posted by hogbreath

I'd have to agree
    .... Looking at the standards and the shear number of prospective candidates, I would hate to see what your definition of "hard" is!!

hard=life

What's the status of 279/131's quarters? Where are they now?
    Also- if you talk to SFAD 93 on the radio, tell him his old boss says hello.

Originally posted by E229Lt
    hard=life

life=hard
    Life is hard? Compared to what?!

I think in short-Hogbreath and LT229 were being extremly basic.

Is it hard?, for some possibly, but for most, "you have got to want the job!" Perhaps what makes getting on the FDNY so tough is the shear amount of competetion. As mentioned, for a guarantee, you must write 100%-and score 100% on the physical.....there are no short cuts here. NYC gives points for "in-city" applicants, Military Vets, preferences to FDNY-EMS and so on......therefor your score of 100 + 100 might still be 5 points short of several hundred applicants.

Also, you've got to be prepared to "wait it out" this is not a City covering several thousand people, it covers several million-and hirings do not go as quickly as in most Departments.

There will be a new test coming along shortly.......do as was mentioned and check out the site given! Good Luck!
    "All gave some...Some gave all!"
    9/11/01 Lest we forget!
    FDNYRR

FDNYRR is totally right, I am in that waiting process right now. in fact, i am waiting for both Fire and EMS to call. As far as the scores, yea, you gotta get %100 and a %100 to even be considered. Also, you have to be 28 or 29 or younger when you take the test.

Other then that, it's definately worth the wait. It is the greatest job in the world.
    Remember 9-11-01
    FDNY, NYPD, PAPD, NYPH
    Keith Fairben, FPFD LT, Paramedic NYPH, most of all, friend. You will not be forgotten brother.

"Firemen are going to be killed right along. They know it, every man of them, firefighting is a hazardous occupation; it is dangerous on the face of it, tackling a burning building. The risks are plain. Consequently, when a man becomes a fireman, his act of bravery has already been accomplished."
    -- New York Fire Department Chief Edward F. Croker. 1908

Thread Information