This was reported on the FH.Com main page but I thought I would post local news relating to the event.

Firefighter says she was hogtied

By Sallie James and Paula McMahon | Florida Correspondents
Posted March 16, 2003

CORAL SPRINGS -- Police are investigating a possible hazing in which several male firefighters are accused of partially hogtying the station's only female member last month.

Firefighter Krystyna Krakowski, 28, was sleeping in the bunkroom of Station 71 when four to five people entered the bunkroom and "unlawfully touched and restrained her against her will and without her consent," according to a Feb. 22 police report.

"You fear the worst as a woman when four people are holding you and they are hogtying you," said Krakowski's attorney, Joe Carter. "I don't buy this was just hazing. For them to target the only woman in the station that night, this was more than hazing."

According to Carter, four or five men wearing hoods and holding flashlights under their chins walked into the dark bunkroom when she in bed. The close-fitting hoods, used to protect firefighters' neck and ears from heat and fire, covered their heads, necks and chins.

At one point, Krakowski's assailants sounded an air horn in the fire station, but no one reacted, Carter said. Fearing a sexual assault, Krakowski fought the men and they left, leaving her tied up. She was later able to rip off the bindings, Carter said.

As of Friday, no one from the Coral Springs Fire Department had been suspended or placed on administrative leave. Krakowski, who returned to work Friday, was transferred to another station.

Fire Chief Donald Haupt Jr. said he could not discuss the incident, and neither police nor fire officials would release the names of the people involved. Lt. Michael Matz, the supervisor at Station 71 that evening, declined to comment, saying he had not spoken with anyone from the city about the matter.

"Our Police Department is aggressively investigating this matter,"City Manager Michael Levinson said. "I'm deeply concerned about the allegations. Upon closure of the criminal investigation, the necessary and appropriate actions will be taken."

The city is reviewing videotapes from surveillance cameras, which are positioned in the station's common areas, Levinson said.

Carter said the men pulled Krakowski, clad in a T-shirt and legging-style pajama bottoms, from her bed and put her on the floor. They tied her arms over her head and bound her legs behind her, he said.

"She didn't think it was a hazing. Hazing is when you scare somebody to build camaraderie. This wasn't the situation here," Carter said. "By concealing their identities, it changed everything. This wasn't building camaraderie. They didn't even tell her it was them after it was over."

Sallie James and Paula McMahon are reporters for the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, a Tribune Publishing newspaper.