Forum Member

Default mothers in the fire service

Stayback you got me started thinking.

How many out there's mothers belong to the fire company and how many of them are active firefighters. In my dept we have several mothers that fight fire along side their sons. I can honestly say I have fought fire with mine of some of my best friends mothers. In my company we have 4 mother/ son combos. They are as well trained or more than some of the guysAnd if your mother belongs, have you or would you fight fire with her. My mom also joined about 20 years after my Dad and 10 years after me. How do the guys in the Dept. treat them. They call my mom MRS. B and they treat her great.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well, We Got.....

Here in downtown Glenn Dale, There are a lot of family connections among our 100 members. Lets see......
    Husband, Wife
    Father, Mother, Son
    Husband, Wife
    Husband, Wife
    Father, 2 Sons, Daughter-in-law
    Husband, Wife
    Husband, Wife
    Father, 2 sons, Daughter-in-law
    Husband, Wife
    Father, Mother, Son, Daughter-in-law
    Father, Mother, Son
    Father, Daughter
    Father, Daughter, Son-in-law
    Father, Mother, Daughter
    Husband, Wife
    Grandfather, Grandmother, Grandson
    Husband, Wife
    And there are 5 sets of brothers, One 4th, and one 5th Generation members from the same family. 36 of the 100 members are Women. One thing about the Volunteer Fire/Rescue business, there are always lots of family ties. Stay Safe....
    Last edited by hwoods; 03-21-2003 at 12:53 AM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Thumbs up One here

I fight fires with my mom too. She is a firefighter/EMT and I must say, I'm proud as hell to roll out of the station with her in the same truck as me. Of course, my wife responds out on the fire dept ambulance too as a paramedic. Usually at the same time. One time, we all were on the scene of a fatal MVA and got the task of placing one of the DOA's in a body bag. One of the coroners investigators who is a family friend was on scene and noticed this. He couldn't help commenting on how a poor a choice this was for a "family outing" and suggested the park next time.
    Life is only temporary, but freedom goes on forever. God bless those who gave all.

My mum and I are in different VFD's (since we live far away.) Hmm... I did get my husband to join mine, and my mum to join hers though

Anyhow, I'd love to work with my mum, and I like working with my husband, becuase we understand each other very well. We can communicate easily and very efficiently, and sort of read each other and anticipate each other's responses, and of course we trust each other completely. That's an advantage of working with people you know very well, whether you have family ties or not.

MembersZone Subscriber

I had a Lt. who was a real mother. But that's probably not what you're talking about, huh?

MembersZone Subscriber

In My small vol dept. we have only 5 firefighters and they come from only 2 differant families. We have my father, Mother, and myself. Then my mothers best friend and her son. Both mothers are over 57 yrs old and while they don't put on air packs anymore they are a invaluable assest. They can really KICK BUTT on brush fires.
    In my county just about 30% of the firefighters are woman and many are mothers of firefighters. Alot of the depts have family connections. This can cause a problem with coverage when we go on family vacations, but the mutal aid depts are glad to cover for us as we do for them. My daughter is only 10yrs old and already is a big help around the fire house. If she had her way she would ride with daddy now to fire and help out. Maybe in 8 more yrs.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking George!!....

(Hehehe)
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information