Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wildland Hose

Default Wildland Hose

We spec'ed our new brush truck without a booster line. Instead, we carry 25', 50' & 100' pre-connects of 1" forestry line as our primary attack line for grass/brush fires. This is the first time I've ever used forestry line... And although it requires a bit more work to clean up than just hitting the rewind button on the booster reel, I like it.

Because this is a new tool... I'm curious as to who else uses it, how they deploy it, etc. Also, I'd like to know how they store it. It refuses to stay rolled for us, which I'm guessing is because it's so thin.

So what's everybody's thoughts on forestry hose?

MembersZone Subscriber mtnfireguy's Avatar

Well.... most all departments in the Western US that respond to wildland or urban interface incidents use it.

Although on our brush trucks we still maintain a booster line ( 1 inch) to use on small fires, mop up and as a protection line for the truck itself.

On our brush trucks (type 6) we carry a minimum of 300 feet of 1 inch and 300 feet of 1 1/2 inch forestry hose with forestry nozzles.

Our larger wildland trucks carry more. We also carry structural type nozzles (TFT's) for structure protection when the water supply is good!

We store it rolled up... the 1 inch rolls pretty tight and we secure it with pieces of inner tube from a truck tire cut about 1 - 1 1/2" wide.

Our newer brush trucks have a tray for a preconnect of foresty hose, we carry 200ft of 1 inch in the tray. The tray is covered, if not the hose would blow out going down the highway.

Any further info needed, let me know
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

1" (25mm) percolating (weeping) Forestry Hose is used by us in Australia. My vollie station carries 8 x 100' lengths on our larger interface (900 gal) engine, plus 4 x 100' lengths of 1 1/2" forestry hose, in addition to the 1 1/2" and 2 1/2" structural hose. Our smaller (300 gal) engine carries 4 x 100' of 1' and 2 x 100' of 1 1/2" forestry hose as well as a small amount of structural hose.

What exactly are you calling forestry hose?? 1" or 1.5 or both?

I'm curious as to who else uses it, how they deploy it, etc. Also, I'd like to know how they store it. It refuses to stay rolled for us
    As a US Forest Service FF, I am use "forestry hose" quite a bit...we use it pretty much for everything .

As for how to deploy... depends on how far you need to go and your terrain. If you don't need more than a 100' section, rolling out the one section will work if you can get it to roll easily... otherwise, you can have it stored in a quicklay format. There are also packs for laying out several lengths easily (usually 200'/pack). You can make a pack out of the hose itself, or buy some fancy (expensive, cumbersome, in-the-way) strap gizmoo thingy that will hold the hose on your back.

The rubber bands work well for both single and double rolled hose, as well as just a piece of Parachute cord with a cinch knot.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

We use (rarely!) 1.5" foresty hose -- "percolating" like the Aussie said.

Our Service truck is the "brush" truck (and also EMS, and just about anything else). Has 150' 1.5" booster reel.

If that's not enough, I keep 3 100' donut rolls (both couplings together on the outside of the roll) of forestry hose in a compartment -- you can grab one, snap it out, and extend the booster line in a hurry if you're trying to chase a fire down.

Up top we have two gear bags. One carries 300' of forestry hose, the bottom one carries 500' of forestry hose. A piece of plywood on the bottom helps keep the shape of the bag. All in all, we have 1100' of 1.5" forestry hose on that truck.

We also have 3 backpacks carrying 300' each of forestry hose between our Engines & Engine-Tanks.

Fortunately, I've never seen us use more than a few lengths, but I've been told of the war stories from the 50s/60s/70s of the large woods fires. Heck, the year before I joined we had a 100 acre fire, which by our area's standards is very large. So I guess we have all that hose just in case we get another big one...

Like Dal and RX we use forestry packs, a largish pack with 300' of 1 1/5 inch line in three lengths of 100 feet.

It is very simple to undo one of the packs straps and lay the line out behind yourself as you walk. We use a variable nozzle at the end most of the time, and the line is usually percolating canvas.

Spare lengths are stored at the station rolled up, and are loaded when the call is recieved for a scrub fire. These lengths are stored by folding the hose in half then rolling them up, making it easy to bowl them out.

All we need then is some wet stuff.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Cool Good Stuff!.....

We use 1in Forestry Hose as: 1. Our 2 engines each carry a gear bag with 3 50ft sections, a 20gpm nozzle, and a 2.5x1.5x1.5 gated wye and a 1.5 to 1 reducer. The brush truck carries a 150ft preconnect, 2 100ft bundles with nozzle and reducer connected, and a 200ft booster line of 3/4 in "garden hose" on a reel. Our SOP for off-road fires is Brush truck takes a position and pulls preconnect, and/or reel line and goes to work. Engine takes supply line to brush unit and provides water. subsequent engine crews bring gear bags in to brush unit and stretch lines as needed. Works well for us.... Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Forestry hose ( we usually call it "percolating hose)is stowed in "double rolls" in the engines lockers. We use both the 1' (25mm) and 1.5" (38mm) fairly extensively, although we have two 1' booster reels of 200' each which we use first, if the boosters come up a little short, then we connect a length of forestry 1" usually at the reel end, although we can do it at the nozzle end as well. We use 25mm storz couplings on both our booster line and 1" hose so joining is no problem. Our 1.5" forestry line uses the same 38mm storz couplings as our 1.5" structural (non-percolating) line so we can easily join these as well. We also will run extended hoselay's starting with 1.5" line, then reducing through an adaptor or wye to 1" line, an example, 400' of 1.5" reducing to 400' of 1".

Thread Information