MembersZone Subscriber

Default Alberta Premier supports US

Hi Everyone. Just a note that lets you all know that there is a lot of support and gratitude from your friends up north including some governments. A friend sent me this news release frAlta.'s Klein sends thanks to ambassador for U.S. war on Iraq
    CALGARY (CP) - Alberta Premier Ralph Klein has put his support for the U.S. war on Iraq into a letter and praised President George W. Bush for "leadership in the war on terrorism and tyranny."
    In a letter to Paul Cellucci, U.S. ambassador to Canada, Klein said his views may not be popular, but he's entitled to speak his mind. He also says the leadership of Bush and the United States has earned the deepest respect of many, many Albertans.
    "War is a dirty, rotten thing," Klein said, defending his letter as bombs and cruise missiles rained down on several Iraqi cities Friday, including the capital of Baghdad.
    "No one likes to see war. But when you focus on the devastation of war, you should also focus on the devastation of terrorism."
    Earlier this week, Klein accused Prime Minister Jean Chretien of leaving Canada's friends in the lurch by refusing to commit Canadian troops to the U.S.-led attack on Saddam Hussein.
    The prime minister's office says Klein is not speaking for all Canadians.
    "This wouldn't be the first time that Mr. Klein's views don't reflect the opinions of the vast majority of Canadians," Jim Munson, the prime minister's director of communications, said from Ottawa. "He's entitled to his opinion, but on foreign policy, the prime minister speaks for Canada."
    Klein, whose once-close relationship with Chretien has become strained because of disagreements over the Kyoto climate change treaty and health- care reform, didn't disagree with Munson's assessment.
    "The prime minister is absolutely right: I am entitled to my opinion, I'll express it and he knows it," the premier said.
    Klein said he is worried that some companies will pay the price for Canada not being part of the U.S-led coalition. He has heard rumours an Alberta company involved with oilwell blowouts is no longer welcome in the United States.
    "These kinds of stories cause me concern," he said.
    om Alberta.
    "This is a company that did a lot of business in the U.S. and with U.S. companies."
    Keith Brownsey, a political science professor at Calgary's Mount Royal College, says Klein's letter is designed to do two things: protect Alberta's oil and natural gas industries from potential future U.S. retaliation and to attack Chretien.
    Brownsey doubts whether Klein's comments really reflect the views of most Albertans.
    "His motivation is trying to sell Alberta's energy to the United States - trying to protect our oil and gas sector from any sort of reprisal or duty," he said in an interview. "He's trying to hurt the federal Liberals and attack them in any way, but he's certainly swimming against the mainstream."
    Alberta New Democrat Brian Mason called Klein's letter disturbing.
    "It sends a chill down my spine," he said in an interview. "This premier is prepared to see innocent people massacred to preserve a business relationship with the United States, and that is all it comes down to.
    "He does not speak for the people of Alberta on this," Mason said, noting that anti-Iraq war protests were set to be held Saturday in Edmonton and Calgary.
    Klein is not alone in his criticism of Chretien's position on Iraq. Ontario Premier Ernie Eves has also criticized the prime minister for his decision to stay out of the war with UN sanction.
    Manitoba Premier Gary Doer and Quebec Premier Bernard Landry, on the other hand, have praised Ottawa's decision.
    Klein's letter doesn't specifically mention Hussein or Iraq by name.
    "While Saddam Hussein is the target right now, Osama bin Laden is still a target and other people who will foster and support terrorism are also targets," he said.
    "Saddam Hussein just happens to be the target today."

The Canadian Press, 2003
    God Bless you all and especially those who are in harms way as we speak

Forum Member

This is one Albertan who is totally behind our Premier and in my circle the vast majority agrees with Ralph. For my American friends the NDP referred to in this article is little more than a rump party which is not taken seriously by anybody.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I can't find the article that refers to MOST Albertans supporting the war, contrary to what the above article says.

Time for bed, I can't see anymore!

Welcome to the forums Bryan, STAY SAFE!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

"This premier is prepared to see innocent people massacred to preserve a business relationship with the United States, and that is all it comes down to.
    Sheri, who is this guy? I guess he is only a little misinformed?

Forum Member

George, I would not put a great deal of faith behind Kliens statements, both Alberta and Ontario have PC (Progressive Conservative) premiers, politically on the conservative side, the NDP on the other hand is a much more left wing party. Most of these statments are for political purposes and should be taken with a grain of salt. The federal NDP leader Jack Layton keeps refering to this as an illegal war, however when pressed by the news media as to wether he would then class George Bush as a war criminal he of course stops short. This is all typical politics as usual here in Canada, keep in mind in this country one of the largerst political parties in Parliment has the stated aim of withdrawing from the country. While not quite as bad as Israel we have ever so many political parties up here who represent a wide variety of views.

Forum Member

George, don't take anything said by New Democratic Party members seriously. They are just slightly more credible than the rhinocerous party.

Forum Member

hey! I voted NDP in the past! oh errr right, never mind

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Alberta is different

Smoke I give you full credit for your honesty if not your politics. You are one of the few that actually would admit to voting NDP. In Alberta, they treasure freedom, ability to work at a job of ones choosing and are sick and tired of being called ignorant racist rednecks by the Ont/Quebec goof troop (aka Federal Govt. ) Our premier was elected on a platform of " Its the spending Stupid" and Alberta is now one of the strogest economies in the world. Yes lots had to do with oil but a lot had to do with getting govt out of busineess. At one time in the not so distant past, you could go to one liquor poutlet in average size town. Write your nbame address etc on an order form just to buy a case of beer. Behind the counter, a surly civil servant would take your money, while looking and treating you as if you were one step above a pedophile and dump it on the counter. When liquor sales were privatised, the NDP predicted rampant alcohoi;ism, crime and degradation running rampant in the streets. Needless to say it didn't happen along with every other NDP prediction ( Balanced budget in BC)
    Yep Alberta is a bit different but we damn well like it that way and most do support our American brethern, like it or not
    Bryan

Forum Member

Privatize liquor sales? geeze if they did that here provincial taxes would have to be doubled! tripled maybe

Thread Information