Forum Member

Default fire run out burst

ok for some of you, you might think we had hardly any runs but for our dept thats a lot of runs for a day. it started a little after noon sunday for a MVA with entrapment aircare on standby. we used both of our squads for that run and one squad make a second trip to the scene. upon clean up from that scene we get toned out for a gas leak, a car is leaking gasolene onto a parking lot, so we throw some stuff on it. thinking that well not have runs for a while, we again around 2100 hrs get toned out for a structure fire at the same place where we had the gas leak, we arrive to find light smoke with an electrial fire, we put the stuff that puts it out on it. lol. and leave. also we clean up the oil dry out in the parking lot from the time before. i walk in the door at my home and here we go again we get toned out again for a structure fire, to the same place as the electrial fire. our chief arrives first on scene again but this time its a different apartment with a different type of fire, this time its a dryer that cought fire so we open the door to the apartment and that took care of ventalation so we take the dryer and put it outside and we leave once again. i get home get about 45 minutes of sleep and around 1 am we get toned out for some type of substance on the roadway and once again we respond to a scene, we put the oil dry on it and leave. our chief said that if it said the address the same as the 3 runs we had to the same place he said he would have rolled over and went back to bed.

have any of you ever got a run to a place 3 times in 1 day for 3 different natures. it dont happen like that around here . well sice we had our 5 runs in one day we will probably go 2 weeks without a run. well just wait till april, the wet month. last year i heard they had like 21 runs a day but all for dewatering. thats a lot of runs for our dept that runs 1 station and protecting 48 square miles.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

Just curious, is it your normal procedure to put "oil dry?" down on a spill and then leave it there? We tend to clean the mess up before leaving the scene.

5 calls in 1 day and now none for 2 weeks. Sounds like a busy day to me!
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

well the stuff we got isnt really oil dry but similar. it looks like kitty litter but it is nothing but paper shredded into very small pieces and this stuff some how evaporates but when we went to that structure fire we cleaned the stuff up since we were there and plus there was like two 5 gallon buckets of that stuff there so it would take a while to desenegrate(spelling?) or do what ever it does.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Forum Member

Would be interested to find out what that product is. We use simple speedy dry and always have to pick it up. Something that would disintegrate by itself would be fairly interesting.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

sure thing ill probably be over there later this evening and ill make sure to look for you.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

Forum Member

Here in Australia we have two products, "Spagsorb" and "Peatsorb", made of I believe of spagnum moss and peat moss respectively. We can put these down on small oil or similar spills and leave it. Car tires running over it and the wind generally will disapate it without the need to shovel it up. Both these products have fantastic absorbency, Spagsorb is the slightly better product, but it seems Peatsorb is the cheaper product, as we seem to get it supplied more often.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Lightbulb Hey Bones!,.......

Sounds like Ryan's got the same stuff we use.... It's a cellulose-based product, kinda reminds me of that damn cellulose insulation that gives us nightmares about rekindles...... I'm in the same boat, I can't remember the name of it, but I'll get back to...... Wait, instead of messing this thread up more, I'll start a new one on Hydrocarbon cleanup later today. Ryan sounds like he's where I was in 1958. 200 runs a year. But hang in there, we made it to 4,331 last year. Stay Safe....
    Last edited by hwoods; 03-25-2003 at 09:03 PM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Out of curiosity, what do you guys do with the oil dry after you sweep it up? Locally, we let it lay. If we put oil dry down on a gas or oil spill, we consider the debris haz mat. How do you dispose of it?

Forum Member

As the tow truck pulls away from the scene with the vehicles involved, the speedy dry goes with them.

If you are called to clean up/mitigate an oil spill and all you do is put speedy dry or absorball on it and leave it there, what are you cleaning up? It would seem to me you are just making more of a mess and letting the wind spread it. Granted, it also depends on the location and road type your dealing with. I know on the NJ Turnpike for example, they will put some speedy dry/sand down and let the passing 18 wheelers "disperse" the mess. I would not risk members safety due to simple cleanups and I am lucky in that the roads I deal with don't present much problem.

hwoods, I'm sure you can remember days when we used to pull booster lines and simply wash it down storm drains...

Forum Member

the stuff is called eco dry. i remember some of our firefighters saying something like insulation. the stuff can be packed pretty tight together so you can fit alot in a bucket. man you guys sure do get lots of runs. so far this year we have had 57 runs. last years total was 352 or close to that
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

3 runs in a day to the same place is pretty normal for us. we have many apartments, health care facility's and 2 malls-- its happens alot escpecially to the malls. 5 runs isnt to busy we usually do that daily, busy for us is 7-10 runs
    FIREFIGHTING IS ALL ABOUT ***, BUSTING OURS TO SAVE YOURS!!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Hey Ryan!........

It's a fun place, look us up at www.gdvfd18.com and yes, going to the same place more than once in the same day happens here too. I think our record is the same place, same type of call, 3 times in 2 hours. It was a mall parking lot with 3 unrelated auto fires. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

3 runs or more to same place in a day isn't that unusual for us either: We have a lower income mobile home park in our township. It accounts for about 80% of our runs, unfortunately they are mostly EMS runs and are mostly BS "I need a ride to the doctor because I've had this stomach ache for a month" types.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Ski Resorts here! Back injuries, trauma to the head, neck, spine, arms and legs are common. The low income housing is another popular spot. Highways probably our biggest call maker. You get one crash, you'll get a couple more.
    As a side note, we use spagsorb and kitty litter here. We pick it up after it is absorbed and either send it with the wrecker or put it in the garbage can. On the paid job, we lay the stuff down and then it becomes the wreckers responsibility to clean it up.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Bones, we aren't there to be clean up crews. Like you said, we are there to mitigate the situation and keep it from getting worse. We dump oil dry down at an mva to keep the fluids from getting tracked all over gods green acres, causing either a slippery situation or an environmental one. I see what you are saying by not cleaning up, though. Im just thinking back to our last haz-mat class where you hear the horror story of a company taking the stuff back and storing it in a 55 gal drum because they don't know what else to do with it.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

well the stuff we got isnt really oil dry but similar. it looks like kitty litter but it is nothing but paper shredded into very small pieces and this stuff some how evaporates but when we went to that structure fire we cleaned the stuff up since we were there and plus there was like two 5 gallon buckets of that stuff there so it would take a while to desenegrate(spelling?) or do what ever it does.
    Look in the lower right hand corner of your keyboard. See that key, the one with the little dot on it? That's a period. Try it out, you might like it..... J/K

Seriously, we never used to run multiple calls to the same location until the race track opened in our area about a year ago. It's a combination drag strip and road course and on the weekend of a big event we might go out there 5 or 6 times. We've responded to lots of crashes, a vehicle fire, a cardiac arrest, an ammonia leak from a travel trailer, and one guy who fell off the back of a golf cart and cracked his skull open on the asphalt. We've landed Air-Med helicopters there several times. It's been interesting. Some of our members work there as first responders during big events but the track has very little emergency response equipment on site and can only handle small emergencies. I can only imagine what it will be like when they start drawing the big NHRA events (which is what they plan on). Hopefully they'll bring their own teams.

Forum Member

We have a company that comes and picks up our old oil and oil soaked towels and absorbent. We have a fire resistant can that we store it in until they get here.

Thread Information