Forum Member

Default talking about runs

does your state have a rule about talking about any runs? ours does but i have allready told about our runs in another post but didnt go in detail. anyone have details about it. they just made this a rule not to long ago because publice knew things they should not have heard. and also with squad runs if you dont go on the run you dont discuss it, and likewise if you go on a run you dont discuss it with someone who didnt.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber

Everyone's state has a rule for EMS it is called HIPAA.

You shouldn't use names or addresses when talking outside of the firehouse. Talking about the job when the public is in earshot is tricky business. I've found that what we consider acceptable the public is shocked and sometimes outraged about.
    You never know who knows who and someone may know the person and figure it out just from the story.

ADSNWFLD is exactly right, and come April 14, there will be some pretty heft fines for violations. HIPAA is here (almost), HIPAA is law, and the federal government does not seem to think lightly of confidentiality issues. If someone wasn't on the call, all 18 individual identifiers as defined by HIPAA must be removed (i.e. for Q/A, etc). This protected health information may ONLY be released for treatment, payment, and healthcare operations. The only other access is the pt him/herself or subpoena.

I'm not sure about the laws in Vermont but I know as far as our dept goes, anyone who was on the call is asked that if we need to talk about the call then we do it at the firehouse and not at the local hangout. Our rescue chief really stresses training and learning from calls so if he goes on scene we always talk about what we saw, did, why something was the way it was, etc...so we generally get it out of our system then. If anyone is caught discussing patient info stuff you are dismissed from the dept. If you say something you shouldn't have but have not violated the patient confidentiallity then you are suspended from EMS calls (I think). Hope that helps.
    This statements made above do not represent the agency i belong to in any shape or form. So if i say something stupid its just me.

Forum Member

Talking about runs is the most basic form of CISD. In fact many times just talking about what happened, especially if it was traumatic or bizarre will keep people sane. That being said, use your head! Discussing runs is also a valuable way to learn. What worked, what didn't.

Don't talk about it in the donut shop, or the grocery store.

Dave

Early Adopter

Default This applies to everyone?

From the HIPAA site: Privacy provisions of the federal law, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), apply to health information created or maintained by health care providers who engage in certain electronic transactions, health plans, and health care clearinghouses.
    According to this, it would sound like a fire department providing first responder or non-transport BLS would not fall under the guidelines. Is this correct?

MembersZone Subscriber

If you have been called to help the person you are being exposed to privacy information that is covered under the act. You may not be the agency that hands out the paper work informing a patient of his rights, but their name, history, current condition are all off limits for discussion in public.

CISD can be very important but it doesn't necessitate that we know that Mrs. Jones death is why you need to talk. The call can be discussed in general terms and still be theraputic.

MembersZone Subscriber

If your agency doesn't know about HIPAA it would be to your benefit to go to the local hospital or contact your city's lawyer and have someone come out and give a drill on the subject. You only have 3 weeks to comply. HIPAA is a federal law so big or small we all must follow it. Find out from an expert in the law just how it applies to your department.

Forum Member

CISD can be very important but it doesn't necessitate that we know that Mrs. Jones death is why you need to talk. The call can be discussed in general terms and still be theraputic
    I agree, in fact how many times do you discuss the call by patient name. Usually you refer to such and such an address or that call we had a 2am.

Early Adopter

Originally posted by ADSNWFLD
    If you have been called to help the person you are being exposed to privacy information that is covered under the act. You may not be the agency that hands out the paper work informing a patient of his rights, but their name, history, current condition are all off limits for discussion in public.
    I checked the FAQ at the Health & Human Services site and it said, "As required by Congress in HIPAA, the Privacy Rule covers: Health plans, Health care clearinghouses, Health care providers who conduct certain financial and administrative transactions electronically."

It would seem to me that my fire department doesn't fall into any of the above categories. Especially because we do not bill for any of our services. I've often wondered about the privacy of patient information in my department... This only adds to the confusion.
    Last edited by cozmosis; 03-26-2003 at 02:43 PM.

Forum Member

Post Confidentiality

The bottom line is patient confidentiality, what ever series of letters you want to describe it as. I know it can be difficult, especially if you live in a small town, not to discuss calls. You get back to the station at 6:30am and slide across the street for a cup of mud at the local diner and everyone has heard the dispatch on the scanner." How's Fred? Was he bad? What was his problem this time?I remember when his mrs hit him in the head the first time.Did she do a good job this time?,etc". This is not general public information. Many neighbors and such are truely concerned,but patient privacy exceeds the "need to know."

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Well...Look at it this way......

Those of you out there who know me have seen my writings here on the forums about calls we've had, places we've been, things we've seen (and smelled), and otherwise had an interest in. I don't name an individual, give an address, or medical information specific to that person. That's reality, and that's legal. I treat Government regulations in an equal and impartial manner. I Ignore all of 'em (equally) Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information