Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default "America'a Bravest" How soon they forget

I get a kick out of how soon the News Media changes their ideas.
    After September 11th, the American Firefighter was hailed as "America's Bravest". Now, not that they don't deserve it, the American Military Personnel, fighting in Iraq, are being called "America's Bravest".
    How soon they forget.
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

I'm willing to share the title with our troops! I know four people (two FFs from my FD, and the sons of two FFs from my FD)who were activated, 3 of them are in the Gulf region.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber Airborne's Avatar

There are 3 groups of people that I call or think of as American's bravest. Military, Police, and Firefighters. One is no more important then the next.

And there are 2 other groups that are great representations of greatness, and that are Teachers, and Doctors.

Angry

Unfortunately since September 11 on of the most over used words has been BRAVEST It has lost it's meaning to a lot of people just like superstar.

I am definitely willing to share the name with them also.......... I don't know how anyone out there can say they are NOT deserving of it.....

AFD, I hate to break it to you, but its not all about us, sometimes things happen that are a little more important.

I have to say that one of the things I hate in the Fire Service is the craving some people in it have for recognition. Who cares what anyone calls us?? Im tired of seeing guys boast about being "the Bravest", or "heroes". Is that why guys do it? Its pathetic! And Im sure theres guys who'd agree, if you have to tell people just how brave you are or what a hero you are, I would bet you are niether!!

Default 2 cents...

If anything good came out of 9/11, it was a new
    found respect for police and Firefighters. Atleast
    now the public has a better idea that we lay our
    butts on the line for them daily.

Being a paid FF, I dont really consider myself one
    of the "bravest", "hero", "finest", etc. Like most
    of you, I am just happy doing my job and living
    life the best I can....day by day...even with a
    plastic helmet....Bou

I do not think many people have forgotten 9-11, it changed the world, at least from our American perspective, forever. The fire/EMS/police service has been changed forever. There are no longer any "routine" calls. Was the explosion we are being dispatched to from natural gas, a bomb...if it is a bomb is there a secondary device waiting for first responders? Was it a big bomb containing radiation or a smaller one that may have been used to release chemical or biological agents? Or just, close one there, a regular meth lab rather than a terrorist related action?

The good that has come from 9-11 (every experience provides learning whether positive or extremely negative) is that there is a renewed interest for cooperation and communication among police/fire/EMS that did not exist (to a large extent anyway).

It remains a remote possibility (as we know the world now) that we will be attacked by military. Instead we have to acknowledge that the new battlefront is terrorism and that we are the first line of defense after an attack occurs. Our job is to protect each other and the public as best we can. The nation has not forgotten the sacrifices of our brothers and sisters on 9-11. Rather they are focusing on the current sacrifices of our brothers and sisters for the very freedom we are experiencing as we sit by our computers and utilize the internet. We must afford them every prayer and all support just as they did for us on 9-11 and will do, God forbid, when the next terrorism attack occurs on our soil or abroad.

Support EVERYONE who stands for our freedom, whether domestic or away fighting in foreign lands, for they are the bravest because the are fighting a group of people who are willing to die for their cause, however evil it is. It takes extreme courage to fight for freedom in the face of evil unlike any our generation has known. Time to go thank Grandaddy and Dad again for fighting it the first time.

I don't mind sharing the title, And I would also like to say that the title is not the reason I fight fires. I do it because I like helping people in need.
    Firefighter/ EMT-Basic
    Proud Soldier in the Iowa Army National Guard
    GLT 11/25/2005

All Gave Some
    Some Gave All
    Never Forget the Sacrifices Made

These are my opinions and not those of my dept.

I don't recall the fire service copywriting the term "America's Bravest"

There should be no doubt that those who are dodging bullets in Iraq are as brave as they come.

If you are a firefighter who needs to be told how brave you are, go to galls and order yourself a t-shirt.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Thread Information