Here is the final information for the services and activities to honor the memory of Cincinnati Firefighter Oscar Armstrong III......(Please forward, copy or post on any related fire service sites to insure this information gets distributed...Thanks)

Tuesday March 25, 2003
8:00 PM Rock Bottom Brewery on Fountain Square (5th and Vine).
Tapping of Fire Chief Ale - Proceeds from sales of Fire Chief Ale to benefit the Family of Brother Armstrong.

Wednesday March 26, 2003
4:00-8:00 PM Visitation at Zion Baptist Church, 630 Glenwood Avenue Cincinnati, OH 45229 (Avondale)

6:00 PM Rock Bottom Brewery on Fountain Square - Donations to benefit the family of Brother Armstrong.

Thursday March 27, 2003
**NOTE - Parking in and around Downtown is Very Limited. Parking Garage available at 5th and Scott Street in COVINGTON, KENTUCKY.
TANK Shuttle Service is available from the garage to muster area from 0745 to 0915. Take I-71/I-75 South to Exit 192 (5th St. Exit). Go east, Garage is less than 1 mile down road.

ALL NON-CINCINNATI Fire Dept. Uniformed Personnel Muster in front of St. Xavier Church at 6th and Sycamore at 9:00 AM.

Funeral Services for Brother Oscar Armstrong will begin at 10:00 AM at St. Xavier 607 Sycamore St. (corner of 6th and Sycamore - Downtown)

Following the service, METRO shuttles will provide transportation to Spring Grove Cemetery for graveside services. Upon completion, METRO shuttles will provide transportation to Music Hall for the Wake. (Corner of 12th and Elm St. - Downtown) Wake is scheduled to begin at 2:00 PM.

TANK Shuttle Service is available from Music Hall back to 5th and Scott St. Garage between the hours of 2:00 PM and 4:00 PM.

FIREFIGHTER HOUSING INFORMATION:
The Westin Hotel-1-513-621-7700
The Hyatt-1-513-579-1234
The Crown Plaza-1-513-562-2630
All hotels have a special "Government rate" of $69.00. Advise them why you are coming to Cincinnati.

Here are some articles that appeared today.
Take Care,
BillyG
The Secret List 3-24-03
Chgold151@aol.com
Additional Info At http://www.iafflocal48.org/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Firefighters to take role in funeral
Monday, March 24, 2003
By Jane Prendergast
The Cincinnati Enquirer

Firefighters from Columbus and Covington have volunteered to man Cincinnati firehouses Thursday morning so all 780 city firefighters can attend the funeral of Oscar Armstrong III - the first Cincinnati firefighter to die on duty in more than two decades. The casket will be carried in the hose bed of Engine 9, the same truck that took him to the fire in which he died. The truck will lead a procession expected to include as many as 50 pieces of fire equipment from across the country. It will stop briefly for a prayer at the Bond Hill firehouse where Armstrong worked. "We're going to make sure it's flawless,'' union president Joe Diebold said of the funeral. "This kid deserves it. His family deserves it.'' Armstrong, a 25-year-old father of two with another child expected this summer, died in a house fire Friday. He'd been at work less than two hours that morning before pulling on his turnout gear and boots, and riding to the kitchen fire on Laidlaw Avenue in Bond Hill. He got caught in what's called a flashover, which happens when the fire gets hot enough that everything inside bursts into flame. Funeral arrangements were not final Sunday, but full department honors are in the works. Visitation was scheduled for 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday and the funeral was set for 9 a.m. Thursday. Locations had not yet been chosen as of Sunday night. Armstrong will be buried in Spring Grove Cemetery and a wake will follow at Music Hall. The pallbearers will be members of Armstrong's engine company and his fire academy graduating class, Class #104.He'd been a firefighter since January 2000. Until the burial, Armstrong's body will be watched over around the clock by firefighters in dress uniforms. "Guys are volunteering to stand in the morgue from 2 a.m. to 4 a.m.,'' said firefighter Mark Flagler, who graduated from the academy with Armstrong and stood watch at the morgue Saturday morning. "I think that's pretty incredible.''

Sunday, March 23, 2003
Family visits scene of fatal fire-Colleagues offer support, seek answers
By Cindi Andrews-The Cincinnati Enquirer

Ozzie Armstrong found his calling in college.

Not in any class, but in a fire at his dormitory. He'd already escaped, but he returned to pull out a disabled student. That's when he knew he wanted to be a firefighter, his family says. Oscar Armstrong III died Friday morning doing the job that he loved. He was on a hose line fighting a three-alarm fire Friday morning when a flashover - a superheated eruption of flames - occurred.
Armstrong, 25, was the father of two 5-year-old boys, and his fiancee is expecting his third child in August. Last year, he bought a house in College Hill, just blocks from his mother, Annette Armstrong.
His family visited the fire scene, at 1131 Laidlaw Ave., Saturday. They gazed at the remains of the brick two-story house before hugging firefighters. "They've provided a lot of support at a very difficult time," Annette Armstrong said. Companies of firefighters took turns going to the fire scene Saturday so they could see and hear for themselves what had happened. "It's good for the firemen," said department trainer Grant Light. "You want to be able to, in your mind, put all the pictures together." Several firefighters carried Armstrong out after the flashover, Light said, while another jumped out a first-floor window to get out of the way. Two colleagues - Wylene Brown, 50, and Paul Freeman, 32 - were treated Friday at University Hospital and released. Investigators were at the scene Saturday trying to ascertain the cause of the fire. It's being investigated by both the police and fire departments - standard procedure when there's a death. Officials don't suspect arson.
Armstrong, who had been a firefighter since January 2000, grew up in Walnut Hills and graduated from Hughes Center (Class of '95) in University Heights. He briefly attended Wright State University in Dayton. Hughes principal Bob Suess remembered his former student well. "He was always that type of kid who cared, not only about himself, but about others," Suess said. "The fact he ended up as a firefighter doesn't surprise me in the least." Suess heard about Armstrong's death Friday from a staff member. When Suess heard the name, he wondered if it could be Ozzie, so he read news accounts and then pored over school records. "I actually sat in my office and cried. Principals aren't supposed to have favorites. But even after eight years, I still remember him. Just thinking of him still brings a smile to my face." Suess was principal of Shroder Paideiain Kennedy Heights when Armstrong attended middle school there. He became principal at Hughes in 1994.
"Even in the seventh grade, he seemed mature beyond his years," Suess said. Now, Armstrong will be memorialized as a fallen hero. The Bond Hill Community Council declared Saturday Oscar Armstrong III Day.
Flags flew at half-staff all over Cincinnati, and flowers began accumulating at 1131 Laidlaw, Armstrong's fire station and the Cincinnati Firefighters Memorial downtown. "I don't know anything about the gentleman; I just know he worked for us," said Roselawn resident Vicki Johnson, who drove to Bond Hill to place a small bouquet of yellow and red flowers at the fire scene. The Cincinnati Fire Fighters Union Local 48 held a small ceremony Saturday afternoon at the Cincinnati Firefighters Memorial, which had been freshly planted with purple pansies. Armstrong's black rubber boots were placed on either side of a small white cross bearing his name.
Funeral arrangements have not been finalized. A memorial fund - the Oscar Armstrong III Cincinnati Firefighter Engine No. 9 Memorial Fund - has been established at Fifth Third Bank to support Armstrong's children.