Thread: Fire Drills

Wink Fire Drills

I WANT TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS A PLAN IF A STUDENT IS MISSING DURING A FIRE DRILL. THE QUESTION I AM ASKING IS " HOW DO WE AS FIRST RESPONING ENGINE GET THIS INFORMATION WHEN WE PULL UP TO THE CALL. WHAT ARE SOME WAYS FOR THE TEACHER AND THE PRINCPAL TO COMMUNATE EVEN IF THEY ARE ON SEPARATE SIDES OF THE BULDING?" OUR RESPONE TIME ONLY BEING 3-4 MIN.

MembersZone Subscriber

Now a days you can buy the little 2 way radios fairly cheap. I would suggest to them to get one for each teacher. This way when the school is evac'ed they can report back to the principle with a head count and who is missing, if any one. The Fire Dept. and the school needs to work together to find a solution to the problem.
    Captain Tom Kichenmaster
    Philomath Fire & Rescue
    Philomath, OR.

Every day brings us new and exciting challenges. It is up to us to either embrace them or let them destroy us.

I agree with the Capt. as far as teachers having radios. Our schools have the teacher being responsible for head counts of their class, and then they in turn call to the principal. I would strongly suggest you require the teachers to bring their class list for the day with them outside. The list is kept in a slot near the classroom door that can easily be grabbed when they leave. They then take roll call outside to make sure all the students for the day are present outside. We have had problems with students being in the bathroom or elsewhere in the building, and their teacher just assumes they are outside with another class. Over time, we have taught the teachers to take roll call. Before we allow them back in the building, we always ask if everyone is accounted for. We always know if a teacher has forgotten their class list. They are the one's who panic out on the playground.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default School Evac plan

We are starting a new program next year. It involves a card system If the teacher has all students present and accounted for he/sheholds up a green card, if they are missing students they hold up a red card, if the teacher has extra students they hold up a yellow card. Hopefully the school administrators will be able to quickly identify missing students and report to the first due officer. Currently the school uses small radios to communicate between evacuation points, these radios would still be used in the new system. I'll let you know how it works next school year

Thread Information