55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down French Equipment

Anyone know if any French owned/made equipment is being sold to American FDs? If so, is it time to start a boycott?? Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

IACOJ Agitator

Boycott American LaFrance JUST KIDDING!!

On a serious note, I am sure somewhere there is an FD that has something french-made. However, I can't think of anything in this town or surrounding towns that are nor do I know of anything off the top of my head.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

dazed and confused

http://www.pokfire.com/main.html

We have some POK nozzles. I doubt we'll stop using them. I don't even know if they were made in the US... very well could have been. (as an aside, they work well for us). Looks as though their world headquarters is now in Maryland, so maybe it's now an American company. shrug.
    Last edited by Resq14; 03-27-2003 at 02:04 PM.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

IACOJ Agitator

Originally posted by Resq14
    http://www.pokfire.com/main.html

We have some POK nozzles. I doubt we'll stop using them. I don't even know if they were made in the US... very well could have been. (as an aside, they work well for us). Looks as though their world headquarters is now in Maryland, so maybe it's now an American company. shrug.
    Leave it to some inbred from Maine to buy some generic nozzle! Just busting on ya, bro!
    IACOJ Agitator

MembersZone Subscriber

Default POK

I have a funny story about a salesman trying to sell me POK nozzles. Last month while logging alarms into the computer someone came to the door with a bag. After he introduced himself as a salesman from some fire equipment dealer not anywhere near our area I brought him up to my office so I could see his show.

First thing out of the bag were a couple POK nozzles. Now I don't know anything about POK nozzles and they may very well be the best nozzles on the market but being an Internet junkie who has visited almost every fire service website out there I was very surprised that I have never heard of this POK brand before.

So I let the guy put on his show. I explained that everything we use is TFT and that we are very happy with TFT and have no plans on changing brands any time soon. Then he handed me the nozzle and there is a rather large sticker right on the sucker that shows the Maryland flag and says "Made in Maryland".

Now it was time to screw with the guy. So I ask, wow, made in Maryland? If this nozzles are made in Maryland why don't all the fire departments in PG County use POK. Oh, they all do he says. They do I say, I don't think they do. Yup he goes, thats all they use out in PG County. OK I say.

What I did next was probably the last thing this poor guy expected me to do. I turn my chair around and get on the computer and log in with my Instand Messenger. Being a PG County buff, I have some brothers from down there on my buddy list. Not just anyone though, and who I was hoping was on WAS! The Chief of a very popular department down in PG County.

Now I am not going to name this very popular department, but I asked the sales rep "what about XYZ, do they use POK". "Yup, that's all they use" he tells me. So I instant messaged the Chief and asked him how he liked his POK nozzles and he comes back with "who the hell told you we used POK, we don't use POK!"

Let's just say he packed up his toys and went on his way. I want to say it again, I hae nothing against POK nozzles, and like I said before, they may be better than my TFT, but that's not the reason for the story.
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking None Here.......

As of this post, Glenn Dale is still in PG County, And, as of this post, We don't have any POK nozzles. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

IACOJ Agitator

Default Re: POK

Originally posted by SIGNAL99COM
    they may be better than my TFT
    Anything's better than a TFT...but we'll save that for a another special thread!

Something just dawned on me...I'm only fooling around here but I can see how someone might think I was stirring the pot...oops...
    IACOJ Agitator

MembersZone Subscriber

Clinton VFD, which is in P.G. County uses POK nozzles. We have several Foam Nozzles and we also use a small 1/2" tip for a smoothbore set-up that we actually like. POK might not be used by alot of Fire Departments in PG, but with the World Headquarters being in Annapolis ( I Think) they might catch on. And yes, they originated in France or Belgium, I can't remember. But when it comes to POK vs. Task Force Tips, I think I will go with the lighter and more easily manueverable POK. And no, I am not a salesman for POK! We have mainly TFT on our attack lines and I do not care for them because they are bulky. I prefer the Elkhart Select-o-Matic nozzles to TFT. As if we don't have enough crap to lug around on a fire, a heavy nozzle just adds to the load.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is the link to the foriegn POK homepage. It doesn't look like French to me, either Spanish or Italian.

POK produtos contra incendie

I have noticed that when a foriegn company comes to the US they add "of America" or "of North America" to get rid of the foriegn image that might follow them. POK has that on the US web site listed in the other post, so that was a dead give-away to me to look for a foriegn web site.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

I dunno -- saw the .br I think that it may be a Brazillian company.
    Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
    "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

dazed and confused

No, they're not spanish italian or brazilian. They're french.

From their site:
    "POK’s esteemed CEO and founder was born and raised in Paris. Bruno achieved a Diploma in mechanical engineering from Ecole National D’electricite et de Mecanique De Nancy, France. Bruno is the technical mastermind behind the POK products. He is also the founder of POK, in 1976 which has grown to his being a co-founder of POK of North America in 1998. Bruno lives in Nogent-sur-Seine and is happily married with three children and two grandchildren."
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Permanently Removed

Default Dont you mean....

Originally posted by Adze39
    Boycott American LaFrance JUST KIDDING!!
    Dont you mean..."American La-Chance"???
    NOT KIDDING!!

Thread Information