Thread: Shin Splints

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Shin Splints

A little background first.

Age 28 Weight 270, 6'3" H, semi in shape.

I decided that I'm going to start jogging again to work off the effect that beer has had on me. In the past I have always had issues with Shin Splints, and after jogging about 1 mile yeasterday, my shins are sore today.

I have really good running shoes, so I know that it is not the shoe, unless there are specific shoes for people who are prone to shin splints. I streatch and all of that but I can not seem to stop the pain that I get in my shins from jogging and I would really like to be able to do this with out getting shin splints again.

MembersZone Subscriber

When you get home from running sit down and take off your shoes and socks. Put a folded up towel under your feet, not try to "Grab" the towel with your toes. You can feel it working the front of your calves. It sounds weird but was passed on to me and worked!

Forum Member

Default Tennis Elbow

There are tension products (some using velcro) on the market to put on the fore arm to help with tennis elbow. You can use this same devise apllied just above you ankle to help with slin splints.

"Nothing counts til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

The nature of shin splints most often can be captured in just four words: too much, too soon.

What are they?
    Shin splints, the catch-all term for lower leg pain that occurs below the knee either on the front outside part of the leg (anterior shin splints) or the inside of the leg (medial shin splints), are the bane of many athletesrunners, tennis players, even dancers. They often plague beginning runners who do not build their mileage gradually enough or seasoned runners who abruptly change their workout regimen, suddenly adding too much mileage, for example, or switching from running on flat surfaces to hills.

Seems like shin splints.
    Shin pain doesn't always mean you have shin splints. It might be a sign of some other problem. Following are two conditions that are sometimes mistakenly diagnosed as shin splints.

Compartment syndrome:
    Pain on the anterior (outside) part of the lower leg may be compartment syndrome?a swelling of muscles within a closed compartment?which creates pressure. To diagnose this condition, special techniques are used to measure the amount of pressure. "With compartment syndrome, the blood supply can be compromised, and muscle injury and pain may occur

So how do you distinguish compartment syndrome from shin splints?Symptoms of compartment syndrome include leg pain, unusual nerve sensations and, later, muscle weakness.

Stress fracture:
    Pain in the lower leg could also be a stress fracture (an incomplete crack in the bone), which is a far more serious injury than shin splints. A bone scan is the definitive tool for diagnosing a stress fracture. However, there are clues you can look for that will signal whether or not you should get a bone scan.

Press your fingertips along your shin, and if you can find a definite spot of sharp pain, it's a sign of a stress fracture; the pain of shin splints is more generalized. Usually stress fractures feel better in the morning because you've rested the bone all night Shin splints are worse in the morning because the soft tissue tightens overnight when you get out of bed, and you can hardly walk.

Shin splints will be most painful if you forcibly try to lift your foot up at the ankle. If you flex your foot and it hurts, it's probably shin splints.

So what causes them?
    There can be a number of factors at work, such as overpronation (a frequent cause of medial shin splints), inadequate stretching, worn shoes, or excessive stress placed on one leg or one hip from running on cambered roads or always running in the same direction on a track.

Typically, one leg is involved and it is almost always the runner's dominant one. If you're right-handed, you're usually right-footed as well, and that's the leg that's going to hurt.

The most common site for shin splints is the medial area (the inside of the shin). Anterior shin splints (toward the outside of the leg) usually result from an imbalance between the calf muscles and the muscles in the front of your leg, and often afflict beginners who either have not yet adjusted to the stresses of running or are not stretching enough.

But what exactly is a shin splint? Over the years, there have been several theories,small tears in the muscle that has pulled off the bone, an inflammation of the periosteum [a thin sheath of tissue that wraps around the tibia, or shin bone], an inflammation of the muscle, or some combination of these, but there's no hard-core consensus among sports scientists. Fortunately, there is some hard-core advice on how to treat shin splints.

Treatment and prevention.
    Experts agree that when shin splints strike you should stop running completely or decrease your training depending on the extent and duration of pain. Then, as a first step, ice your shin to reduce inflammation. Here are some other treatments you can try:

Gently stretch your Achilles if you have medial shin splints, and your calves if you have anterior shin splints. Also, try this stretch for your shins: Kneel on a carpeted floor, legs and feet together and toes pointed directly back. Then slowly sit back onto your calves and heels, pushing your ankles into the floor until you feel tension in the muscles of your shin. Hold for 10 to 12 seconds, relax and repeat.

In a sitting position, trace the alphabet on the floor with your toes. Do this with each leg. Or alternate walking on your heels for 30 seconds with 30 seconds of regular walking. Repeat four times. These exercises are good for both recovery and prevention. Try to do them three times a day.
    Last edited by WTFDChief730; 03-28-2003 at 10:47 PM.

Well take into consideration that someone who weighs 180 is considered a heavy runner, or the "ground pounder division". Lots of stress on the legs. And also you say you have good shoes; do you have the RIGHT shoes for you? My shin problems are from overpronation. Most are. Get a stability or motion control shoe (NB makes several, Adidas has the Cairo, Saucony GRID Stabil, I don't think Reebok makes one) to keep the pronation down. What happens to me is I get matching blisters right in my arch after about 3 miles, then it hurts to pronate so much that I run on the outer edges of my feet. No more shin splints...

After I got out of the Army I stopped running. If I'm doing cardio its on a bike or stairs. Or an elliptical.
    ...if you put the handline in the right spot, you won't have to jump out the window...
    -Andy "Nozzles", SQ18, 9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber

Default try this

I'm your size, trying running at a local highschool track, My local school has a old ground up tire as the base. Safes wear on your body or run on a machine called a elipticle machine no stress on the legs
    " Be safe brothers, WE ALL GO HOME"

Forum Member

how long have you been running?? i am about six feet, 185 so i am about in the same class as you and i always found that if i haven't run for a week or two or even longer sometimes that when i start back up, after the first day i have really really sore shins, but as i continue to run they seem to go away... maybe it could just be your legs getting used to the running again??

I got them recently for soccer... first things first.. Insoles, get them, but make sure you dont skimp out, the better the arch and heel support the better you will be. second, dont stop traning, but DONT increse your work ou, just take it easy... third, if you do go out for a walk, simply take a strip of Pre-Wrap around your ankel, and than a few layers of tape tightly over it... believe me that works wonders... and last, and absolutely the most important... ICE, twenty minutes on, twenty off for at least three rotations a night...
    This is the stuff that was given to me by the traner at my HS, and i havent had a problem with shin splints sence... Oh and if you do go and run the track rather than a street or whatever you are used to, make sure you dont bang up your heels, i recently did, and im regretting how i ran it... but keep working, they wil go away, and if they dont get medical help...

Stay safe

LFD

Thread Information