Forum Member

Default Keeping 'puter static off scanner

I have large problems running a scanner anywhere in the same area code as my computer because I get so much staticky spitting off of it.

Does anybody know of:

-A scanner that is designed to avoid this
    -A device separate from PC or scanner that neutralizes it, or
    -Home-grown tricks to insulate the scanner from the interference?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

the same thing happens to me, but if i just move it back just a little the static goes away. i dont think there is a scanner that avoids this problem.the only thing i can suggest is just move it until the problem goes away. if anyone else has any ideas feel free to post them
    -JEFF G

RES49CUE
    Raritan Twp,NJ

49-56
    "Have Jaws, Will Travel"

I ran across this problem with a shortwave radio of mine. I had to set up an external antenna with a fairly heavily shielded RG antenna cable. Computers really play heck with shortwave recievers, much more so than standard scanners.
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

strange. Ive got a scanner sitting on my tower. (I record the scanner onto my hard drive so we can critique calls). Ive never had a problem with it. Is it just one freq, or all of them? And I have to ask the obvious question: Is the squelch adjusted on the scanner?

Forum Member

Oh yeah, squelch is maxed out, and it's sporadic on which frequency. Yours may not do it because you (I assume) have a patch cable connecting PC & scanner. That might ground out the interference; I remember my brother's guitar amp would hum unless he was touching the metal on the cord.

What software do you use to record your calls? I'd like to do that, too.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Is the scanner plugged into the same power outlet as the computer? If so, try to use different outlets on different circuits. I do a live audio feed from my machine and have no issues with the scanner either.
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

Forum Member

Is your scanner PL'd? PLs would probably cut a lot of the crap you're receiving. If you have pl's and you're STILL getting it.... that's a tougher one.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

from the experience I've had, it's the channels that are close in Mhz as the computer. example I listen to alot of traffic on the 150 range and my computer is a 200 Mhz. other then keeping the scanner on otherside of the room, I can't think of anything.

also my minitor does the same thing near computers, grocery store registers and soda machines.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Permanently Removed

My computer always messes with my minitor 2. Its weird, some times it only does it when i move the mouse, other times its constant, and other times its constant, but stops when i move the mouse

All of the devices previously mentioned generate some degree of RF interference. There is not much that can be done other than shield your antenna from it. On the other hand, has anyone ever noticed what happens when you transmit next to a PC. My handheld is a Motorola XTS3000. It is quite impressive when it kicks into high power mode to hit our repeater.

It will really screw up a whole room of PC's.
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Static

I must be lucky because I have 3 different scanners all within 5 feet of my computer tower and I get ZERO static on any of them.

A Uniden BC 145XL which I have scanning Low Band, High Band, and UHF, about 5 feet from the tower.

A Radio Shack Pro-94 Trunk Tracker which scans 800 MHz trunking system our County uses. This puppy is about 3 feet from the tower.

A Uniden BC278CLT which I normally just use for High Band but once in awhile I use it for everything else also. This one is ontop of the computer sub woofer which is ontop of the tower.

No static problems at all!

quint1driver,

Could you send me an e-mail describing what software you use to record the radio transmissions onto your HD.

Thank You! - webmaster@signal99.com
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

It's all about EMC (Electromagnetic and whatever the c stands for). It's the reason why cell phones should be turned off in hospitals and people with pacemakers shouldn't stand near microwaves. There's a lot "stuff" out there in the air! If I don't reset my pager and I'm near my computer, the pager buzzes....
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

HI guys, for those that are asking, its called ScanRecord. It is freeware, so it should show up in a google search. Its pretty impressive, vox so all you get is actual traffic. I have it tabbed on my home pc, I'll try to shoot it out tonight.

Here you go, (forgot I had it in my email):

http://www.davee.com/scanrec/index.html

As someone mentioned above, try moving it to a different electrical circuit.

Now, also look at the back of your computer.

Most people (me included!) when they install a card in the computer, take the little metal cover out and throw it away.

Then later they take the card out for whatever reason. Now you have a nice "hole" in the metal cage that surrounds the 'puter, allowing it to radiate a lot more interference than it used to! If you still have the cover, put it in. If you don't have the cover, go find a computer geek friend who'll have a zillion of them in various drawers and toolboxes. They're a pretty standard size and design on home computers.

For some slightly-technical gobbly gook, see http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/rficomp.html -- it's written from the perspective of someone who knows a little bit about electronics, so someone off the street might have to google some of the terms used to completely understand it!

I have never had a problem with spurious emissions (the static on your scanner) around any computer with pagers or my scanner. I do have this problem with my 2 meter HAM radio on public service freq. Filter devices are available for ham radios but I don't know if they can be used on scanners. Some scanner freqs. are just this way. They are called birdie frequencies and almost imposable to cure. Try just moving the scanner. Maybe use an ex. speaker to get it away from the computer. Also an external antenna mya help. Radio Shack has outside scanner antennas that don't cost too much. These are the people to ask if you have a store nearby.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have found that in 90% of the computer RFI cases I work on the culprit is the power supply, replace the cheap OEM one witha quality one at least 50 watts higher than the old one and that will usually take care of it.

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for the link to that program. I have been looking for something like this for a while.

You're welcome. Ive been running it for a few months and have gathered quite a few good calls on it. I just wish I could edit the wav file to cut out some of the repeater id tones.

Thread Information