Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Please tell me...When is it ever going to end?

Some people refuse to say the "Pledge of Allegiants"
    others donít want "In God We Trust" on our money.
    People in Florida are covering their faces on their
    drivers licenses due to religious belief, donít or
    do prey in school. Firefighters in Berkeley, CA
    were temporarly forced (AGAINST THEIR WILL) to remove
    flags from fire apparatus in fear of attacks from
    dis-approving citizens. People march against the war
    and our elected government that protects them just
    to abuse the freedom given to them to do so and NOW
    you cant tie yellow ribbons in public places to support
    our troops???

When is it going to end???

NOTE- If anyone out there doesnít love American
    (Thatís the USA to some of you)ÖPLEASE LEAVE!

Yahoo news story...
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...r_ribbon_ban_1
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 03-28-2003 at 01:22 PM.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post It Won't..........

Much as I DO NOT agree with all the politically correct B...S..T out there, the very fact that these weirdos have a right to whine and complain, and avoid being executed for doing it, is one thing that we hold dear in America. It is called the Right to express one's own opinion, publicly and freely, without fear of government retribution. In fact, I recently Expressed my opinion on something that ticks me off big time. A brother firefighter has his IAFF window sticker, and a bumpersticker that says "Live Better, Work Union" on a Freakin' LEXUS! The United Auto Workers are scrambling to keep jobs in the U.S. and Union Brothers are buying Foreign made cars??? Duhhhhh?? Oh well, I digress..... I'm with you, Bou. Political Correctness needs to go. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

More than likely not ever. That's what we're all about here in the Grand US of A! Don't get me wrong, I love this country to death, but I don't think it's right to force a fire department to remove flags from their rigs! That'd be kinda' similar to removing all of the flags off of US military vehicles!! I recently heard a rumor that Portland chief did the same thing; apparently they did not want to "offend" the protesters. I'm looking into confirming that...
    "The more we sweat in training, the less we bleed in battle."

MembersZone Subscriber Airborne's Avatar

OK let me see if I can put a little sense into this whole thing.

First of any this is funny because I have it tattoed on my Arm. But this "Love it or Leave it" Attitude does get a little annoying. What makes the US so great is that we all can disagree and yet, no one has to go to jail or die for disagreeing.

I do agree that the no flages and no yellow ribbions is very stupied. But what you have to do then is rather then bark like some old drunk red neck and yell get the yell out then. Go to your local politicians, because they are the ones that make the laws, and tell them you disagree, and then get a pattition and say these people will all vote against you next time, if you do not change your stance.

And if they don't then make sure that you kick them out of office in the next election. This my friends is what makes this land so great. You have the ability to legal make change, and to use the power of the people to influance the goverment.

But what also makes it great is that if you also do not like something but you are in the Minority, you can take it to court, and if the court finds it to be an illegal law then you win with out being the majority. So if you want to be an American then act like it, rather then demanding it, do something about it, if your not willing to do that then I suggest you find a goverment in another country that is more to your stiff liking and move there.

Default PC

I think all these people should be put on a boat and let the Navy use it for target practice. They should not be allowed to bread due to they are polluting the global genepool....we have enough Mutts and idiots to go around.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Okay, let me get this straight... If we tell people to either love America or leave it, aren't we really saying... "Either do things like us or get out"? That sounds eerily familiar to a regime that we are currently trying to overthrow half a world away.

Here we go again. Let's get this straight: not everybody is a Christian and we resent that our government panders to one particular religion in violation of the Constitution. We pay taxes; we die in wars; we work as hard as anyone else; and we have every right to live here without being harassed by people who think everybody in this country should bow down to one mythical war-god or the other.

As for flags on the fire engines, most departments around here have removed them for one simple reason: Respect. If you respond to any runs at all, you'll know that a flag on a fire engine will last about one week before it begins to be tattered and torn. Many times, the flags have come loose, falling into the street and being run over by other traffic. Talk about a public relations nightmare!

I think all these people should be put on a boat and let the Navy use it for target practice. They should not be allowed to bread due to they are polluting the global genepool....we have enough Mutts and idiots to go around.
    This is an example of the simple-minded stupidity that, if unchecked by secular common sense in government, would have us in the town square, drowning and burning people who dare to look, sound, act, or believe differently.
    Last edited by ThNozzleman; 03-29-2003 at 04:23 PM.

This isn't exactly on topic, but I have a few questions for everybody. Our FD is making some changes and I wanted to know what you guys thought.

First, we're in the process of buying a new aerial. Should we get a traditional tower/ladder, or should we buy a quint?

Second, we're looking to replace all of our nozzles. Should we get smoothbore, fog, or combination?

Finally, some guys were talking about new helmets. They were wondering if they should get leather, plastic, or composite?

Oh, one more thing, there are some guys volunteering who are paid guys in the city. The city doesn't like them volunteering on their days off. Does the city really have a right to dictate what they do when they're not on shift?

So, what do you guys think?

Stay Safe

Originally posted by ThNozzleman
    If you respond to any runs at all, you'll know that a flag on a fire engine will last about one week before it begins to be tattered and torn. Many times, the flags have come loose, falling into the street and being run over by other traffic.
    Before our new brush truck could be equipped and striped, it was drafted into last year's July 4th parade. We attached a pair of American flags that were solidly attached to sturdy composite poles. The flags lasted for a while from parade speeds to travel on the interstate.

And then... One day... One popped off while traveling down a busy freeway. There was no way to stop and retrieve it. I was embarrassed. I remember being thankful that our FD name wasn't on the rig yet. And when I returned, I removed the other flags from our station's fleet to prevent a repeat of such an event.

Default Love it Leave it explained...

I think it is pretty simple...You go to a resturant
    and dont like the service, you dont go back. Buy a
    item from a store or visit a city, go on a date....

If you dont like something or plan on slamming it,
    simple leave and move on.....

If you dont like something or plan on slamming it,
    Exactly. If YOU don't like the idea that this country is for EVERYONE and that our laws allow people to think differently and, in this case, stand up against what we feel is an unjustified war that is killing hundreds, if not thousands, for no real reason (except money)then maybe YOU should get out. People like myself are not slamming our Country...just the misguided fools who happen to be running it right now.

CALFFBOU

The issue here is that this country does not work the way you think that it should. Your if you do not like it get out attitued is contrarie to the way our goverment functions. The thing that makes our land so great is that it has the ability to change by the will of the people. And that any miniority group has the right to fight a law in the courts.

Your view of Get the F out if you don't like it, is what america does not need. If you don't like something that you use the systems that are in place to change it. If you don't like that some one is trying to change something then you also can use the system to try and stop them from changing.

Like I said I have the words love it or leave it tattoed on my arm, and this discussion here now brings into question how stupied i was when I was 18 and had this put on my arm. I still love this country but I now love it for it diversity, and the true meaning of what our freedoms are. They are what gives us the ability to change and control our own goverment. Our goverment is dependant on the will of the people and not the other way around.

We will never have to worry in this country of someone getting into office and turning in to a Hitler or a Saddam, it will never happen. People like you give us a bad name.

Default I dont think so...

Originally posted by Airborne
    CALFFBOU-
    The issue here is that this country does not
    work the way you think that it should. People
    like you give us a bad name.
    Bro- You are WAY OFF the point! I dont have any issues
    with changing the country!!! The fact is I think it
    is fine just the way it is it and I am in NO hurry
    to bad mouth it or change anything. The dollar bills
    in my pocket say "In God We Trust" and I like it that
    way! Where the F do you get off????

I think you are way off base. I am not telling
    people left and right to "Get the F out." I simply
    believe it someone is going to go out of their way
    and ABUSE the freedom to bash our great country,
    maybe they should go else where.

Its quite simple. This is the USA and it was founded
    and built and beliefs, thoughts and motions.
    Because our country may do something to rub me wrong,
    that doesnt mean I have to slam and bash it. I have
    the right to disagree and not try to change its
    traditions. (sound familiar to some of you?)

I think we dont need people like you and I'll tell
    you why. I see it offen in here. If two people
    disagree in here, then the issue goes to slamming.
    Lets just agree to disagree with out the insults.

Bottom line- My Captain told a Firefighter here the
    other day. Dont like it here, McDonalds is always
    hiring. Do like the USA, Mexico or Canada is just a
    bus trip away. Its not rocket science...

Originally posted by ThNozzleman

Exactly. If YOU don't like the idea that this country is for EVERYONE and that our laws allow people to think differently and, in this case, stand up against what we feel is an unjustified war that is killing hundreds, if not thousands, for no real reason (except money)then maybe YOU should get out. People like myself are not slamming our Country...just the misguided fools who happen to be running it right now.
    This country is for everyone, I agree. But we have
    standards here and ideas that the country was built on.
    If you want a drivers license, you need to show your
    face. You dont like the pleadge, fine. But dont slam
    the USA for having in the first place. The war is about
    money? I dont think so.

I should get out? Why because I love my country and
    support it? Give me a break...

Forum Member

I have to agree with everyone here.

If you are a citizen of this country you have every right to have and voice your opinions on everything done here. If you are not a citizen than I feel you keep your mouth shut, do things the way our country says they are done or you can leave. If you are not a citizen you don't have the right to say things about our country.

what does bother me is the fact that our politicians are so worried about offending people. Yes, people have the right to chose religion, to chose whether or not they want to fly an American Flag, but I also have the right to fly my flag and if you don't like it you have the right to look the other way, cause it ain't coming down.
    Proud to be IACOJ Illinois Chapter--Deemed "Crustworthy" Jan, 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

"Exactly. If YOU don't like the idea that this country is for EVERYONE and that our laws allow people to think differently and, in this case, stand up against what we feel is an unjustified war that is killing hundreds, if not thousands, for no real reason (except money)then maybe YOU should get out. People like myself are not slamming our Country...just the misguided fools who happen to be running it right now. "

I for one dont think the war is unjustified, nor do I believe the people running the country are misguided, or fools, rather it is, in my opinion the fools who are protesting that are misguided.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

Everybody here has made some good points. Just a couple of thoughts I have. One, I don't care wether or not you pray in school, pledge allegiance to the flag, like the saying "one nation under God", or chose to fly the flag on your fire truck. But I Dont want some politician TELLING me if I can do any of these things or not. For the record I do pledge my allegiance to the flag,I pray when and where I want and I say "one nation under god" everytime I say the pledge of allegiance. I also fly the flag proudly in front of my house. Its my choice, no one elses. If you have different ideas I really don't care just don't trash mine. As far as the war goes, how do we really know if what we are doing is correct? Do we take the medias word for everything that is going on? Are we really getting the true story from our elected officials? I don't know. One thing I do know is I still remember the day the towers fell and 343 of my brothers were murdered. If Sadam Insane had anything to do with it I hope he dies a horrible death at the hands of our military. Do I want innocent people killed? Absolutely not!! Not our people and not theirs. I just don't know how we can accomplish the liberation of Iraq and the removal of Saddam without some innocents getting killed. If you don't agree with the war thats your choice, but PLEASE support our troops. I can't imagine what it must be like for them seeing US citizens protesting against what they are doing. Write your politicians,vote them out of office or whatever if you think they made the wrong call. I guess only time will tell if this war was necessary. I, for one, feel that it is. I love this country and the freedoms I enjoy, If someone threatens them I feel we need to do what we have to to protect them. As far as the "Love it or Leave it" mentality goes I just want to say if someone truly isn't happy here or feels that this is such an awful place maybe they should leave. Like it or not this Country was founded on some pretty basic principles and we should try to adhere to them. If you cant or don't want to, maybe it's time for you to go. And Yes, one of them is the freedom of speech!

Originally posted by CALFFBOU

This country is for everyone, I agree. But we have
    standards here and ideas that the country was built on.
    If you want a drivers license, you need to show your
    face. You dont like the pleadge, fine. But dont slam
    the USA for having in the first place. The war is about
    money? I dont think so.

I should get out? Why because I love my country and
    support it? Give me a break...
    You know it is too bad really because I do agree with you for the most part. But I think that the part you are missing is that the Under God, part of the pledge was not added until the 60's. For some reason congress felt the need to add it in our fight over communism.

The issue I have is that you think that if someone disagrees with the way something is being done in America then they should get out. This is not what America is about. It is to bad that you think that way, because I can see that you love America, and that you support our military and the ongoing liberation of Iraq, I just do not think that you have a clear understand of what it is that truly makes this country the best country of all.

Originally posted by bc3batt
    . As far as the war goes, how do we really know if what we are doing is correct? Do we take the medias word for everything that is going on?
    For me I ask my self, Self can you live with the thought that these people are living a horible life of opression, while America stands by with the power to free them but does not. For me it never was about it links to terror, or to WMD, it is about the people or Iraq, that with out our help have no life. I think how would I feel if I was living in Iraq and I knew that there where militaries out there that could free me, and the rest of the people, but decided that because I'm not American, that it is not worth it.

Then I know that no matter what else, that this war is correct. Not matter how long it takes, not matter if it means we have to go to country after country free the opressed people of these nations that it is the right thing. Some day no matter what your belive in your are going to have to face your maker, will you be able to look your maker in the eye, and say, I did my best to better man kind.

Default Re: Please tell me...When is it ever going to end?

Originally posted by CALFFBOU
    [B]Some people refuse to say the "Pledge of Allegiants"

Yeah...and you know what gets me? That people have so little regard for "Pledge of Allegiance" they can't even take the time to look up its name to see if it is friggin' spelled correctly!!!!!!! Why don't you just call it "That Pledge Thing" or "Da-plegaligants". While I agree with you ...it makes me sick that some of the people you criticize could, at least, spell "Pledge of Allegiance" correctly.

If you're going to stand up for something, show that "something" proper respect.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Thread Information