MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire House Grant

From firehouse.com, in reference to the Fire Act Grant, Building Modification section:

Eligible measures under this activity are limited but focused on promoting fire and life safety in fire stations and facilities. We believe that each of the eligible measures, if incorporated, would make any facility safer for firefighters. Measures that are eligible for funding are the installation of sprinkler systems, installation of vehicle exhaust extraction systems, the installation of smoke and/or fire alarm notification systems, and minor renovations to facilities that are necessary in order to accomplish other activities under this grant [emphasis added].
    Somebody present an argument why a fire department would NOT put in for this grant if they currently operate out of a fire house without these safety features.

Forum Member

We are applying for a sprinkler system. We already have an AFA system. Believe it or not, some of the guys are questioning why we are applying for a sprinkler system ... I'm not quite sure what they could see as a plausible argument for their stance on the issue.

Hopefully, more departments will apply for, and get, this grant.

Stay Safe

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Unhappy Not for everyone.....

George is right on the money with his observation on this, but the folks with front line apparatus dating in the 60s and 70s probably won't be applying here. The most unfortunate thing about the Grant program is that money will not go where it is needed most, Apparatus. We continue to see "nice to have" things funded while bare necessities go wanting. Please note that I consider the items mentioned by George to be very much a necessity, adequate (and safe) housing is needed for adequate and safe apparatus. It's past time to stop funding exercise equipment, prevention trailers, and anything else that is not 100% devoted to mitigating an emergency. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Valid point woods, but I have to start a new thread to follow up. Bear with me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Three days, three people who agree, with one vaild point why a FD may pursue a different type of grant. That's it.

Does that mean that all of the rest of you will be putting in for this grant?

Forum Member

We've decided once again to shoot for the stars and replace our worn-out 68 Ladder 1. I agree that sprinklers and ventilation systems are a good thing in any fire station. But apparatus that needs replacement is top priority in a lot of departments that have 30-40 year old trucks in their front-line fleet. True, many departments have probably applied for apparatus they really don't need, with many getting it. While thumbing through some successful grant narratives recently, I have noticed that many departments received grants for new apparatus while having several late model vehicles already. I know the grant reviewers have their methods of selecting who gets the funds and who doesn't, so I'm not really griping. We really need to replace our ladder truck, and there are more funds available this year. It was late in the game before we were turned down last year, so we hope that's a good sign. It is what we need most, so it is what we are applying for. If your fleet and equipment are late-model, compliant, and in good condition, then I would say apply for other things that affect firefighter safety, such as the ventilation systems and sprinklers for the firehouse. Otherwise, you need to replace the equipment that firefighters rely on while fighting fire. During the last two grant years, I had hoped that the people controlling the grant would notice that there is a tremendous and legitimate need for safer and more modern apparatus out there and increase the funds available for departments requesting them. Many departments can raise the money to get smaller budget items, even if it takes them a while. But with the over-inflated costs of new fire apparatus today, many departments could never afford such equipment on their own.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking And Here, (again) is that guy from.......

2 Things...... Bob, very well put. You and I agree very close on this one. And yes, in my area there were several grants awarded that created an uproar. Part 2 George, you out there??? We're NOT asking for all the safety stuff for our building. OK, I'm messing with you, we already have everything you mentioned. Our building was constructed in 1991-2, we moved in on October 31, 1992. We have an Alarm system, (central station monitoring) Sprinklers, Automatic vehicle exhaust removal, Safety Glass in all doors and any windows near floor level, Backup generator of 125K, and a whole lot more smaller items designed to create a safe place.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

We gave up on a new truck, we have two built in the early 70's. They start and pump and the chances of "winning" are too slim. We put in for bunker gear and extrication equipment--we open the doors when the trucks are running, and have no phone at the station for auto fire alarms, some day we may get modern

MembersZone Subscriber

Our building was constructed in 1991-2, we moved in on October 31, 1992. We have an Alarm system, (central station monitoring) Sprinklers, Automatic vehicle exhaust removal, Safety Glass in all doors and any windows near floor level, Backup generator of 125K, and a whole lot more smaller items designed to create a safe place.
    Oh. You're the one.

Forum Member

Question Greatest Need?

In the first round of grants, back in 2001, we unsuccessfully applied for a front-line engine. At the time, this was our "greatest need", to replace our only pumper, a 1968 Ward LaFrance antique. We knew it was a shot-in-the-dark, but you couldn't be turned down unless you ask.

Last year our grant allowed us to purchase new SCBAs, and 5 inch LDH. The SCBAs will see lots of use, but the LDH (???), it made for a "complete grant package", and was pretty easy to sell in the narrative.

In the past few months we've discussed the grant issue at length, and determined our "greatest need". This year we will be applying in the apparatus category, another shot-in-the-dark, pie-in-the-sky, betting it all on fire truck red.

Who knows? More money in the grant program, more money in the apparatus category, more of a chance to get a congratulations letter, instead of another "Dear John". Like I said earlier, you can't be denied unless you ask.
    Grant me the strength to change things I can, accept what I can't, and to know the difference.

MembersZone Subscriber

Measures that are eligible for funding are the installation of sprinkler systems, installation of vehicle exhaust extraction systems, the installation of smoke and/or fire alarm notification systems,
    Does that mean that all of the rest of you will be putting in for this grant?
    Grant #8013 was just submitted with a sprinkler system and alarm system being the major portion of the project. Our fingers are crossed. Wish us luck!

Thread Information