Forum Member

Default Telesqurt. Pros and Cons?

My department will be taking delivery of an American LaFrance telesqurt with a 65' ladder. This is our departments 1st squrt. Can anyone give me their opinions on the use of it. We also have a 100' quint. Thanks for the help.

Forum Member

For some years, I ran with a company that has both a 55' squirt and a 105' ladder. It's a good combination. The "default" mode was to run the squirt as a primary attack piece (sort of a "specialized" engine company) and the ladder as, not surprisingly, the truck company. However, because of the suburban/rural areas we got into (either directly or through mutual aid), there were places (alleys, lanes, fields, etc.) where the ladder couldn't go, but the squirt could (being smaller and more maneuverable, and taking up less total space to set up the aerial). I don't see squirts as replacements for full sized aerials, but rather complements to them.

Just my $0.02

MembersZone Subscriber

One foot in the green, and one in the burn.

My Captain used to run Truck for 2 different departments, he considers Telesquirts to be Engines on steroids. All you are doing is elevating the Master Stream. The ladder (to my Knowlege) is not rated for things like specialized rescue.

Thread Information