Forum Member

Post MSA Upgrade offer at FDIC????

Hello all. If anyone is going to FDIC and who's department is using MSA masks, i have heard that they will be coming out with an upgrade offer for those departments who wish to switch from quarter turn regulators to the firehawk system.If anybody has information on this please share with me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default FireHawk Upgrades

Can't help with FDIC but here goes my experience.

Our Department has 40 MSA airpacks that we started converting (Grant) from quarter turn to CBRN rated Firehawk Regulators and Nightfighter HUD.

We targeted January 2006 to begin conversions. Received parts through MSA and after review found MSA conversion kits incomplete. Wrong ICM/Transfill adapter sent. Called MSA about fit, got new part number and ordered/requested through dealer.

Wrong parts sent out to dealer to replace origional adapter (dealer caught this mistake).

Kits lacked jam nuts for the ICM 2000's and a lock ring/o ring combination needed for each conversion. Didn't realize kits didn't have jam nuts until knee deep into the conversion. (They have to be here somewhere....)

MSA charged us to get the above parts. Since we had already started we asked to get the other parts overnight. Charged again. We are supposed to receive a refund, still haven't heard or seen it.

3 packs are RIT/Rescue Air Packs. Didn't receive the right upgrade kit until we asked. Not sure if these were not ordered correctly, or what. It was spelled out very clearly to the guy doing the ordering.

6 packs are dual purpose packs. We found these also require a DIFFERENT kit. (waste deep in conversion now). Converted as much as we could on them and initially given a supply date for Feb. 7. NO SHOW. Called local sales rep........Whoops!..........try March 5 for the next shipping date.

As of today, 2-16-06, we still have 6 dual purpose packs to convert, and have an 2 additional issue to address with the function of the Firehawk regulators. Waiting.....................I don't see us finishing until sometime mid April.

Found out yesterday CBRN shields cost $20 apiece and will have to be replaced annually. (that's that little piece of saran wrap that goes over the diaphragm). Doubtful this was explained to management before conversion.

Will personally be investing in Duracell as soon as possible.

Lesson learned, should have went through single trial conversions on ALL types of packs (only did two regular packs). Determine if ALL parts and correct parts are in the kits. Assumed too much.

Yes, we've been nice and polite, seem to have a good working relationship with our dealer.

My patience is wearing thin.

Curt Johnson

Lewiston Fire Department
    Last edited by sctnabt; 02-16-2006 at 04:21 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll stand behind the MSA pack in general, but we had some serious issues with a dealer than in no uncertain terms was a crook. Thankfully, much of our grant purchase was handled through an MSA regional rep, so things were handled, but if it were left up to the selling dealer, we'd still be using low pressure belt mounts two years later.

All in all, we've switched to another MSA vendor (luckily, we have three that will service us all within a couple hour drive), and we could not be happier. The customer service is fantastic, we'll get loaner parts if something needs repair (example, we had an ICM go bad, and the sales rep brought in a loaner while the other was being fixed, etc.). If anyone is in the midwest, and is looking for a good MSA dealer, drop me a line and I'll let you know who we really like.

Battery consumption is a bit high, but I just switch out every thing but voiceamps every six months. We're set to get the accountability system shortly after FDIC, so we get new ICMs that won't have the transmitter and PASS device using separate batteries. Let's see if this helps or hurts battery life.

MembersZone Subscriber

Need to add that I would certainly stand behind the MSA packs as they have withstood lots of training and abuses inherent to the fire service. Seems lately we have had to deal with some frustrating issues/slower responses than I would have liked.

Would like to find out if anyone currently using Scott or MSA have had any similar experience, better or worse.

Please add your comments!

cj

Thread Information