Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Lawrence Douglas county Fire Medical Lawrence, Ks

Default Help with Officer Training

I am looking for information on what departments are doing to train their line officers once they become officers. It is my understanding that most departments including my own, have no formal training for officers once they become a officer. If anyone has in information on this, or has a system in place that is working for them, please let me know.

Thank you,

Brandon Holloman
    Firefighter/ Paramedic
    Lawrence Fire Department
    Lawrence, Kansas

MembersZone Subscriber

I am the Training Officer for my Department. My department currently has nothing in place, other than seperate Tactical rather than functional training sessions. I am in a volunteer department, so on Monday nights, we send the officers to one class (a tactics class), the firefighters to another (operations class) and the lead officers, the white hats, to a command and control class. All classes are taught by in house instructors.

However, next month, we have developed a training curriculum for officers. In order to run for an officers position, all officers will have to complete 16 hours of Officer Development Training. We are gonna use elements from NFA's Leadership I, II & III courses to put the curriculum together. In addition, those seeking a position as a "white hat" will have to complete the same, with the addition of a 16 hour Incident Command Class (the NFA Class). In order to maintain their officers position, they have to maintain 16 hours of "Officers Courses" for Company Officers and 32 hours of "Lead Officer Training" for "white hats".

Just to give you more information, our new recruits also do quite a bit of training. They complete 250 clock hours of firefighting curriculum, as well as 56 hours of Driver/Operator Training. Our new recruit training consists of 306 hours.

All members receive 16 hours a year of refresher driver training, 3 hours of haz-mat, 16 hours of EMS, and the rest devoted to fire training.

We are a volunteer department with 33 members, but our department is very well organized as knowledgeable. We are a very tight knit group, but also a "young" department. Most of our members have 12 or fewer years in the fire service. If you (or anyone) would like any curriculum that we've developed, I would be more than happy to send it to you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Blindfold them, Tie them to a chair, put a bar of soap in a sock and beat them till they get it right.

We don't train our training officer, our training officer also never holds training sessions and hes on disability now. We dont even have training requirements that have to be met to stay in the dept. You can take a 24 hour class in the beginning and never come to a meeting or training session for the rest of your life and still be a member of our dept. isn't that a bunch of crap. It'll change when someone dies...that always changes everything, its just too bad thats what its going to take to get some people to wake up.

Forum Member

WOW FF1118 are you sure we aren't on the same department? that's just about the same way it runs for us, I'm the training officer for my dept. and we are suppose to be required to maintain at least 50% of all trainings conducted per every quarter and the cheif doesn't even make that ( his words: I'm the chief I don't have to train). WE are a combo dept. and I have some volunteers that know more about the job and tasks then some of the full time. I'm a full time member and have been since we started the department full time 6 years ago I've been in the field for 13 years and I have been the training officer for the last 5 years the last training officer left the position b/c the chief wouldn't do anything about people not showing up the training and now I have the position and the same thing happens to me people don't want to "waste time" as they put it coming to training. But my problem goes past the people just not wanting to come to trainings I have the problem of the fire chief is also by brother and he won't enforce the policy for people to show up. hooah13 what would you do in a case like this? what is your policy on it? if you could would you be able to send a copy of that portion to me either facantu@sagchip.org or fadjod.cantu@sbcglobal.net?

MembersZone Subscriber

FabJody, The simple truth of the matter is that without the Chief's backing, there really is not much that anyone can do. But you as the Training Officer, has more of a chance than anyone else in your dept. We had the same problem over the past few years. It started with the chief being an "old head", and not wanting to give into new ideals and concepts. He even made the comment to me several years back..."I don't care how we train, we're not going to do it like that". Well, that was then. Back when he had the support of the majority of the Fire Department (because they were "old heads" too). Our department went on a recruiting drive to get more new recruits. We trained them to be better and more competent, but more than that, for the last several years, we've been really pushing the brotherhood concept. Now, there not only is a slight competition amongst them, (which the Training Office has turned to a training competition), but a strong sense of brotherhood. A "Department within the Department" if you will. These FF's are better trained and more knowledgeable than most senior members. Since we've been forming this "team" for several years now, they have grown in number such that they are now the majority. Several of them have even gone on to paid departments, but maintain their position within own department out of loyalty. Now that they (we) are the majority, the more senior members have finally gotten the hint to either jump on the BRT's and our way of thinking, or get out of our way. These FF's are now occupying the Officers positions, and are beginning to take control of the department. The senior members are finally starting to realize how much they DON'T know. --- 'Hey, who knew fire fighting tactics would change in 30 years' ?!?! --- The point is, with an openly defiant Chief, there really is no good way to do it. Take your department, find a line of members, draw your line there, and influence and train everyone below that line to be better thinkers and do'ers. Everyone above that line can either follow your lead, or risked getting run over, because eventually, change will happen. And, there is nothing anyone can do to stop it. Not even the chief (although he can slow it down some). Sorry if this didn't help you, but with a deaf, dumb and blind chief, there is not a whole lot a department can do, other that get "pre-paid legal counsel".

In our dept. you have to have the following 5 day courses to act as a Captain.
    Education 1 - (Drill/Lesson Plans/Adult learning etc.)
    Incident Command Theory
    Incident Command Practical
    Building Construction for the Fire Service (Brannigan Text)
    Safety for Fire Officers
    Supervision (Carter/Rauch)
    Law and Legislation

Once these 7 weeks of courses are passed with 70% average you are qualified to Act in the capacity of a Captain.

Any department with lesser qualifications should seriously look at updating their requirements.

Thread Information