Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Sleep at a Paid on Call Station?

Since the department in my town is not hiring, I am going to start applying out of town. I heard that the town I work in (about 10-miles from where I live) is hiring for POC's... but I don't live in that town. Would it be possible for me to apply at this station if I agree to remain at the station while I'm on call? Is this even possible? I know that the department will be the one to make this decision, but I figured I'd ask here first to see if this is done anywhere else(I don't want to sound too desperate... even though I am). I would really like to get my foot in the door, and it's such a kick in the face when the only thing holding me back is where I live. Thanks for your help!

If you are serious about this, I'd talk directly with the department you are wanting to work for. Obviously, they'll be able to answer you questions as they relate to their department. All we can do on here is speculate and tell you how things are done here and there. And if there's one true thing about the fire service... It's that just because one FD does something, doesn't mean someone else will.

With all that said, I've gotta ask... Wouldn't it be worth moving into the POC department's district? You say you're desperate to work in the fire service. And by living *and* working in that district, you'd be able to respond to more calls, get more experience and spend more time with fellow members, etc. I relocated for my career job... And it's definately been worth it.

Default I say...

Apply to several of the area departments. Someone will
    see that you are serious and give you a shot. Still
    strive towards the one you really want.

As for spending the night, etc...that will depend on
    the agency and their rules. I would recommend just
    try to get on with a department with in your region
    and work up from there.

Well, the thing is, I just moved to the town I wanted to get on with... but they're having budget problems and probably won't be hiring for a long time. So now I have another 12-months before my lease is up, and I'm watching other department jobs pass me up pretty much soley because I don't live in the district. I wouldn't mind staying at the station while I'm on call, it would give me time to study, learn more about how things work there, heck... I wouldn't mind cleaning/re-stocking the trucks all night either (someone's gotta do it, right?)

I guess I'm very anxious to get going. Ever since I started with my first responder class... I'm hooked. This is what I want to do with my life. I'm going to stop by that department on Monday and see if something can be worked out.

If you want a job in the fire service anywhere at all, you need to apply to several and be prepared to move. I would think that most departments would give new-hires a "grace period" to relocate to their area if they are hired. I don't believe I would "watch other department jobs pass me up" for very long; take one!!! Firefighter positions are hard to get and it is usually very competitive among those trying to get on. I would recommend that you take a job, stay there a while, get all the training you can, and then reconsider relocating to another department if you choose. When you make it, welcome!

MembersZone Subscriber

Check your lease many of them allow a 30 to 60 day notice to break the lease...also talk to your landlord some of them are willing to break a lease for people changing jobs especially those of us in fire, police, and EMS...Just depends!

Be careful most Depts talk to each other ad look poorly upon a blanket barage of apps.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile You're in the wrong part of the world.....

Think EAST! Almost without exception, the departments in the Mid Atlantic states could care less about where you live. I have 6 career Firefighters that work a "day work" shift of 10 hours a day, 4 days per week. One lives within walking distance, One lives in the next STATE north of us, the others are scattered over 3 other Maryland counties. Another thing that makes our system much more flexible is that the County government runs the paid portion of the department, no town or township politics to put up with. The drawback is that POC is unheard of here, you are paid full time or you are volunteer, nothing in between. Also, competition for jobs is very intense, 55 spots in one county brought over 4,000 applications. If you are good enough, you'll get hired, even if you want to continue to live in the Midwest. Just don't be late for work. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information